What happened to Super Jack?

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Rex Banner, Oct 7, 2019.

?

Which answer is the right one?

1. Potential world class player destroyed by injuries

89.5%
  2. Overrated from day one and is at his true level

10.5%
  1. BigPoppaPump

BigPoppaPump Laca Respect for Alexandre

I don't think he was bow legged but he ran in such a weird way, like his legs were too heavy for him to carry. Looked like he was struggling at times.

Walcott was never that good in the first place, we was really fast and learned how to be a great finisher but he was never a talented footballer at the top level. But he also got ravaged by injuries too.

It's the same story with most talented Arsenal players whoever made it.

Lets talk about Oxlade Chamberlain, was he ever good or did people just like his personality? Me personally I never rated him but people would get mad at me. Also Koscielny was never world class while I'm at it, 7/10 at his best and always accident prone.

2. Manberg

Manberg Well-Known Member

He is indeed bow legged, look at the arch on his standing leg.

[​IMG]

RVP was too.

It's not really an issue but it can lead to more pressure being put on the joints.

3. mavelous

mavelous Well-Known Member Trusted

Not enough likes, great post. Ah the twitter era

shenanigans, m-due and bingobob like this.
  4. Jury

Jury Mission Accomplished

Had his wings clipped by injuries, basically. The odds are—as is usually the case—that he wouldn’t have been as great as everyone thought he might be, but he would have been a lot better.

m-due and Camron like this.
  5. bingobob

bingobob Fan of Technicians Who Show Great Character

Reading a few posts on him being over played. If we take it a different direction Phil Foden is arguably the new Wilshere, billed as an continental player in an England shirt, but Pep has been very reluctant to throw him in.

Some say he needs to play but thinking about Jack is he doing the right thing or not? I suppose on that you'd need to factor the environment for both. We had to play young players whereas City have a luxury Wilshere and others were never afforded.

Which I suppose brings a bigger more ethical question on youth reliance knowing that they arent fully developed and injuries at a young age can lead to serious problems down the line as their bodies grow. Is it right to rely on youth? should we discourage youth or cut their numbers via a quota until they reach 21?

Toby Andrl and m-due like this.
  6. Jury

Jury Mission Accomplished

Also, I don’t think he was dedicated enough to maximising his talent once he turned into a man, but I guess long injury layoffs could be a factor.

Still, he’s stinking rich and I imagine couldn’t give a flying ****.

m-due likes this.
  7. YeahBee

YeahBee Terrible hot takes

We should have a starting XI +8 seniors capable of handling the league, european competition and the cups

Youngsters should be used for development NOT be relied on, odd starts here and there

What profession with a jobtitle can you have as a kid, not yet really an adult? Heck before 21?

Last edited: Oct 9, 2019
    m-due and bingobob like this.
  8. Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Dennis_Bergkamp_10 Well-Known Member

When you're good enough you're old enough. That being said, you shouldn't overplay them.

Rather a 19 year old Wilshere or Fabregas than 27 year old crap we have today.

Ricardinho likes this.
  9. Garrincha

Garrincha Wilf Zaha Aficionado

Maybe they were going to be Jacks prime years so its good he played, made a name & got paid.

Hate watching kids get injured before the money or in ****ing scams like College Football.

m-due likes this.
  10. m-due

m-due Well-Known Member

Injuries robbed him of a good career for sure. He is still 27 years old and already capped 34 times by Three Lions. I don’t know how dedicated and committed he is during his long layoffs but Pellegrini seems to rate him and tries to give him game time this season albeit from the bench. One thing for sure; he is a true Gooner. The backlash injury prone players get from fans across clubs can be demoralizing,m and I hope he finds consistency and carries on. He needs all the luck to keep on with injury free performances. If he doesn’t then it’s all downhill from West Ham. He will have to drop down levels just to continue playing.

11. SingmeasongSong

SingmeasongSong Glass Half Empty

A Cazorla + Diaby midfield pairing was probably that one juicy dream that got away.
    I just wanted one season of that, in full, ..there's an empty spot inside me for that.

Even better - Rosicky, Cazorla and Diaby - ****ing hell, those three were, each for his own, like no other :(

12. YeahBee

YeahBee Terrible hot takes

Quality technically wise for sure, but it is a bearservice (is that an english idiom???)

It is evident that young still growing bodies cannot handle it physically wise.

Everybody with an early breakthrough bar C Ronaldo has suffered from injury woes later on.

It cuts careers short, it hampers later development.

Not to mention that hype overinflates prices...

It is trading short term success for greater longterm stabile success.

13. Let's play Aubamawang

Let's play Aubamawang Active Member

Given that he was regularly caught on late nights out and smoking, I would say it was as much a case of a lack of dedication as much as injuries. Clearly injuries played a part in his development, but the biggest problem with young English players is they're given too much, too soon. Look at the wages some young players are on. As far as they're concerned, they've already made it.

Then it becomes a question of how much competitive desire do they have. Do they want to win things? Sometimes the answer is yes, they move to City, sit on the bench, win medals and we forget about them. Other times they rise to it and help their team win, like Welsh Rambo did.

Look at Harry Kane. Sure, he scores goals and dives for pens a lot. But he wants to be a one-club man more than he wants to win trophies. There will come a time soon enough when he will have to decide which is more important to him. Or just look for a bigger payday. Money talks.

It's a simple solution. Paying kids too much money goes straight to their heads, they get cocky and stop trying as hard. But it will keep happening anyway because Prem teams love to outbid each other for homegrown talents. Martinelli is a great example of someone who wants to be great, as opposed to just being loaded.

14. pigge

pigge Well-Known Member

Wilshere at 19 is where ceballos wants to be att his peak.

Unreal talent. Imagine him and Ramsey not being injured.

krackpot likes this.
  15. GunnerUK

GunnerUK Well-Known Member

Video embedded in starting post is the only game Wilshere took and real credit from. I remember after this game a British reporter asked Pep what he thought of Wilshere and he literally said “nothing special i have a hundred of them in La Masia” turns out he was right Jack was nothing special very overrated and only hyped by Arsenal fans and English journalists.

anybody who says he was an “incredible player” please elaborate. I thought he was **** offered nothing Xhaka or Alex Song couldn’t offer.

Nasri and Fabregas far superior

16. Flying Okapis

Flying Okapis Well-Known Member

The poll choices are pretty opposite when personally I think there is a lot of both in the truth.

Yeah he had world class potential and was wrecked by injuries BUT I think there was also a hell of a lot of hype on him which was quite unwarranted at times, he showed excellence but so have quite a lot of players at a young age who fade into nothing, its a hard choice for me this but definitely somewhere in between the two and probably more leaning towards the better option as behind Mark Noble is definitely not his level.

17. pigge

pigge Well-Known Member

Hope ur trolling mate

18. Zaza

Zaza Well-Known Member

Jack >>> Xhaka what are you on about??

19. Luiz’s hairstylist

Luiz’s hairstylist Active Member

Just out of curiosity, where does Pelligrini play him nowadays?

Part of Jack’s development was ruined by Wenger playing him at 10 or wide.

20. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

To be fair, his early breakthroughs were as a RW cutting inside. Wide playmaker was a position I thought would be his best bet when he was 16 or so. He only started playing more as a deeper midfielder when he went to Bolton. His ability was such that he was trusted there from early and got his shot for us in the same spot, consolidating his new role as a senior player.