• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

what i think we need in the transfer window

invisibleman18

Established Member
I think what we need is not so much a second striker but a central midfielder to complement Vieira. We need someone who is a good ball winner and a good distributor. This is where Gilberto is lacking. He is average at both. Look at his passing against Bolton, it was not far short of really terrible. Sure he had one good shot but they usually end up miles back in the crowd. We are really lacking someone like a gerrard or a lampard or a scholes which we have not had since Petit. our other candidates, parlour and edu are each half of what we need. Edu is a good distrubutor and has a fair shot on him but he lacks in the ball winning and tackling, he is ok at it but is much more comfortable with ball at his feet. Parlour is the opposite, a good ball winner but not a great passer, occasionally pulls out a great shot but they are too few that they are almost flukes these days. parlour and edu added together plus a bit more pace as one player would be perfect. i think instead of splashing out for a striker, we need to search for a central midfielder. look at the other big teams. Liverpool have Gerrard, a great ball winner and superb passer with a mean shot. Lampard is the same for chelsea, while Scholes for manure is arguably the best of this type of player anywhere. they also have kleberson who seems to be what we wanted gilberto to be. they say class is permanent, form is temporary and while henry is out of form lately (no goals for a month is out of form for him) we need to have someone coming through the middle taking responsibility for assists and goals and gilberto is clearly not this player. he does not strike fear into the opposition midfield or defence, edu can make the keeper stay aware and parlour does aswell but we need more than that. feel free to disagree and argue with me as this is just my opinion. does anyone agree that we should spend on a good central midfielder with good ball winning and distribution skills or do you think our top priority is a striker? toure's brother sounds like the kind of player im on about but he is as yet untried against realy good opposition and as i understand would not be able to play this season.

invisibleman18

Established Member
he started out ok last season but has steadily got worse. i guess its as i said, class is permanent, form is temporary and he has only had a few spells of decent form. kleberson seems a much better player than him.

Arsenal316

Wenger is not bringing in any midfielders. Gilberto isn't going anywhere. No matter how bad you think he is, the bottom line is that he's here, and he's going to play. If you don't like it, tough. Live with it.

satan_beckham

kleberson is a MUCH better player than gilberto,if u look at man u games against villa,kleberson link up very well with van nistlerooy and forlan,assiting 2 goals,can we ever see gilberto with a decent assit?And its not a good idea playing 2 defensive midfielders in the centre of midfield,veria is better off doing his defensive work and we should get a playmaker,someone like rivaldo!

I think we should give Edu a run starting instead of Gilberto, I don't really see what Gilberto adds to the team, he rarely creates just constantly just ****ty passes across the field.

Feis-al

AussieGooner said:
I think we should give Edu a run starting instead of Gilberto, I don't really see what Gilberto adds to the team, he rarely creates just constantly just ****ty passes across the field.

As we wait for Vieira to regain much needed fitness

Aussie

Established Member
If wegner thought gilberto was **** he wouldnt be playing I agree he isnt the greatest but he must be doing something right.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
When AW first said he was going to buy a striker, he also said that maybe it will be an attacking MF. So we may yet see a signing there.

n_henry

Aussie said:
If wegner thought gilberto was **** he wouldnt be playing I agree he isnt the greatest but he must be doing something right.

I kinda agree with that...or at least I'm trying to.

But it's hard to...he was quite pathetic against Bolton, gave the ball away so many times (but so did everyone else, really)...

i don't think he's THAT bad. He just isn't that good either...a new partner for Paddy in the middle would be great, but I don't think it's particularly necessary right now - much rather get another striker and CB.

n_henry

Webdesignlab said:
When AW first said he was going to buy a striker, he also said that maybe it will be an attacking MF. So we may yet see a signing there.

I dunno...I'd rather get a striker and a CB. I'd rather have Gilberto in our team than Cygan, generally speaking. ;) It'd be nice if we could get a striker, CB and a play maker MF, but I doubt we'll bringin 3 new palyers.

The Mini

Parlour is our man, he has great vision, passing and tackling. He isn't long term, but he's good for a few seasons. A striker is our priority, seeing as you say, Henry isn't on top form and needs a fox in the box to finish what he starts

vin de guerre

Kleberson? Better than Gilberto?
Sorry but stop kidding yourselves. All you Gilberto knockers sound like a scratched record (vinyl). Kleberson as yet has not proven his worth in the EPL. Giberto does his job soundly with out to much sparkle but does all the donkey work.

The Mini

I dont understand what's wrong with Gilberto, could someone explain, he's not the magic & sparkle we get from our attackers, but the cleaner, the clean cleaner, when was the last time he got booked?

bobbypires

Established Member
The Mini said:
I dont understand what's wrong with Gilberto, could someone explain, he's not the magic & sparkle we get from our attackers, but the cleaner, the clean cleaner, when was the last time he got booked?

Yes, I dont understand it. He's a great player. If he plays in the middle with Edu everything will be ok, cos Vieira isn't unfit.

Andrew

More Gilberto bashing... :roll:

Gilberto is a good ball winner and breaks up attacks well. He's scored more than Bergkamp and Kanu this season. 4 goals if you don't mind, 4 more than Vieira. His problem is that he doesn't create much and doesn't commit fully to tackles, which could be smart considering how much defensive work he does.

Edu is also a good ball winner. Some think just because he's got silky skills, that he doesn't tackle and win balls. That is not true at all. When he comes in he plays in Gilberto's role, often helping the defence. But attacking wise IMO he is overrated. He really doesn't create as much as what people think and most of his goals involve luck. But I think he does deserve a spot in the starting line-up as much as Edu does.

Parlour is a great example to the rest of the players with his work ethic. Unfortunately he just doesn't seem able to do that much in attack. But at least we know when he plays we're getting 110% from him.

Through in Yaya (provided we sign him) and we have a healthy number of options for the central midfield. It's just a matter of Wenger mixing and matching IMO.

2 matches ago against Blackburn in fact! :D But it was a very unfair booking and was the first time he's been booked in the Premiership.

Mark

Established Member
i'm hoping we get ya ya toure. he's a good central midfielder who is also more threatening when he attacks. if we get him during january i think it's worth giving him a chance. if he adapts quickly i think he'd be a great partner for vieira. but if we don't get him i think wenger needs to rotate more. try out edu with vieira one game, see how it goes, try parlour another game and see how that goes.

Adam

Established Member
Yep, that's the person we want. Yaya Toure. It's a matter of time before we get him, and he will become a fans favourite along with Kolo. He could be loved as much as a Vieira or an Henry. He has that potential.

How about Scott Parker? Whilst I don't expect Wenger to go for another midfielder in January, what about we go for him in the summer? As most us fans know that our main priorities are to get a CF (A Defoe, Viduka, Smith Eto'o would do nicely) and a CB (Maybe a Southgate?) Scott Parker, I think, would definitely compliment Vieira. He's basically got Edu's passing and skill but also Parlour's work ethic and drive. And he's been doing it consistantly for Charlton for 2 seasons now. I mean think about it fellow gooners, just imagine a central midfield partnership of Vieira and Parker? That would be AWESOME!!!

Mark

Established Member
parker would be good, he can also score from long range which is nice, but i don't think charlton will sell him.

Latest posts

Top Bottom