• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What is the most random transfer of all time?

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Whichever one of these two ended up at Madrid...

829287174.jpg.jpg

...can never remember which, tbh.

Riou

Woodgate to Madrid

Real were going English for a bit around this time.

Plus he was a very good CB, just too many injuries made him a meme.

Wish we signed him instead of Gallas, with hindsight...he played plenty of games from 2006-2009 in the Prem, would have been a good foil for Kolo too.

His legs would have probably exploded, immediately after we signed him though.

Andrew Cole Linighan

Player:Saka
I thought that Paul Konchesky to Liverpool was a surprise transfer. My Liverpool supporting mate was Furious about it. 🤬 Went to Liverpool because of Roy Hodgson. Don't ask my mate about what he thought of Roy. 🤬
Screenshot_20220716-074322.png

When George Graham signed Chris Kiwomya from Ipswich Town. Never saw that one coming.

Screenshot_20220716-074657~2.png

TornadoTed

Established Member
Feels bizarre to me, probably not to anyone else. I just realised Zele Ismail is playing for my local club, Newtown AFC in the Cymru Premier League.

It doesn't seem long ago that my cousins up in Wolves were buzzed about him and one of the coaches talked about potentially being the first £100m footballer.

Sad story really, injuries have destroyed his career.

Andrew Cole Linighan

Player:Saka
Real were going English for a bit around this time.

Plus he was a very good CB, just too many injuries made him a meme.

Wish we signed him instead of Gallas, with hindsight...he played plenty of games from 2006-2009 in the Prem, would have been a good foil for Kolo too.

His legs would have probably exploded, immediately after we signed him though.
Regarding Jonathan Woodgate, if I recall, did not have the greatest of debuts. Came on as a substitute, scored an own goal, then got sent off.

Riou

Patrick Klivert, played for Ajax Amsterdam, AC Milan, Barcelona then Newcastle United.

View attachment 7852
Thought it might be Manchester United, if he came to England.
⬛⬜⬛⬜⬛⬜⬛⬜⬛⬜⬛⬜

Great player, even had his moments for Newcastle despite being on a steep decline at that point.

Apparently he used to demand the bus on away games to stop for McDonalds after the matches, when he played in England :lol:

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
Was Kluivert a GREAT player? I don’t think so. Was good when he was young.

He's part of a group of players that hold a lot of nostalgic value for millennials mainly I reckon. He was the main man up front for one of the biggest teams in the world during that generations' childhood. Other names would probably be Inzaghi, Van Nistelrooy etc. Raul is probably in a different category given his status as a Real legend though, but imo he was never at the level of the truly elite like Henry or Ronaldo. I might even throw Raul in here, but that'd probably be controversial due to his legacy at Real.

Generally find a lot of people of my generation overrate especially the strikers of the late 90s/early 2000s because of this. Like Kluivert was a good player but I could easily name 10 strikers better than he ever was in the world right now, if not more.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
To throw a name into this mix here, I'd actually add Gael Clichy to City as a random as **** transfer. He was generally seen as an error prone liability by the vast majority on here - justifiably so imo - and him leaving wasn't seen as a big deal as Kieran Gibbs was favoured by the fanbase anyway. The fact that they were even interested was pretty weird, but it turned out to be a good move.

He then went on to start 130+ games for City and won the league.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

To throw a name into this mix here, I'd actually add Gael Clichy to City as a random as **** transfer. He was generally seen as an error prone liability by the vast majority on here - justifiably so imo - and him leaving wasn't seen as a big deal as Kieran Gibbs was favoured by the fanbase anyway. The fact that they were even interested was pretty weird, but it turned out to be a good move.

He then went on to start 130+ games for City and won the league.

His reputation was pretty high at the time tho was it not? Or at least in the years leading up, was in team of the year one year. Also City just seemed to be in the habit of plucking our players. Funny how neither Adebayor or Toure worked out for them and they were much bigger losses for us than Clichy and maybe Nasri.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Was Kluivert a GREAT player? I don’t think so. Was good when he was young.
He scored the winner in the CL final in his first season as a professional footballer at 18, was instrumental in getting Ajax to the final in his second season etc. Never fully hit the heights that were expected of him at Barcelona but then Barcelona weren't nearly as dominant as they became later either.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom