• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What makes an Arsenal player a club legend?

sergio_giorgini

Dying on Mt.Neymar Hill
Jennings, Sampson and Brady are called legends because they were GREAT players. Jennings is in the English football best ever debate, Sampson was like Ashley Cole in his day, Brady was a great player who was considered before his time, who then went on to Italy etc, at that time the best league in Europe.

Xhaka has never been considered a GREAT or generational player. The above could be considered generational talents.

4 FA Cups at a club like Arsenal doesn’t make anybody a legend either.

Isn’t Jennings more of a Spuds man?

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

Idk about that last sentence. Pires won't get a statue but he's definitely a club legend. There are legends and then not to be too FIFAish but I would argue that icon is probably a good word for the highest echelon of legend. For example, Garrincha is a Brazil legend but Pele is an icon. Kaka is a Brazil legend but Ronaldinho is an icon. Romario is a Brazil legend, R9 is an icon. Wrighty is an Arsenal legend, Henry is an Arsenal icon. Mertesacker won 4 FA Cups and is doing a great job with the Academy. He might just be a club legend. Tony Adams is a club icon though. Gilberto must surely be a club legend but Vieira is an icon. George Graham is a club legend. Arsène and Herbert Chapman are icons. I think that there has to be a delineation between the guys who are legends and the ones you put in bronze.

I'd argue that Graham, by dint of being the only man to win the title as both player & manager for the club, puts him on icon level.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
Kolo is in for sure. If this team had Kolo we would of been champions. We were one Kolo short thanks to Boffhead Manager. The one who is 50/50 for me is Özil. Funny people slag Ramsey; phenomenal footballer ruined by injuries but he still delivered a lot of phenomenal matches and was class. He isn’t a legend but definitely deserves maybe next level down

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Anyone who watched Arsenal between 2003-2008, will know that Kolo was operating at a world class level...his performances in our 2006 Champions League run was a joke, felt like he pocketed every top striker.

Should never have sold him and backed Gallas, proper rocked me when we did.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Per v Chelsea will probably be the most legendary performance I have seen from an Arsenal player (all things considered) even if Mert is a cult hero rather than an actual club legend.

Spent 15-16 (losing pretty much all motivation for football after our back to back cup wins the previous seasons, plus becoming a world champion) and 16-17 (ageing and injured all the whole season) in very poor form compared to how he was before, in the build up to that final.

Then leads us like a ****ing don against a peak Oil-ski Conte team and dominates a prime Diego Costa, as we win the cup.

I will probably never see anything better than that, what a day it was...if one game could make you a legend though, then this is definitely the one!

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
Anyone who watched Arsenal between 2003-2008, will know that Kolo was operating at a world class level...his performances in our 2006 Champions League run was a joke, felt like he pocketed every top striker.

Should never have sold him and backed Gallas, proper rocked me when we did.
I don’t even know how you can question the legendary of that rock, Kolo. It’s the Americans bro; they got a screw loose

NZgunner

I'd argue that Graham, by dint of being the only man to win the title as both player & manager for the club, puts him on icon level.
except he,
a. he tarnished his and our reputation by taking almost half a million quid from an agent, and
b. went on to manage Sp**s

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
Rosicky was just a nice guy, same tier with the likes of Welbeck, Jenkinson or Eboue. Remembered for a couple of good moments, not really for a great career.

He's a cult hero in the same way the Room is a cult movie I guess

Latest posts

Top Bottom