What makes an Arsenal player a club legend?

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Vinci, Dec 29, 2015.

1. hydrofluoric acid

hydrofluoric acid Easily Triggered

Bergkamp, Fabregas, Ramsey and Özil!

2. krengon

krengon One Arsene Wenger Trusted

Best fullback in Pl's history. Unreal at his peak.

Jury likes this.
  3. Jury

Jury Mission Accomplished

For what it's worth, I believe Monreal has the personality to have fitted in among them, albeit not as first choice LB. He's not at his best now, but when he is, he has something extra about him that the others don't. Still doesn't make him a 'legend' though.

4. Tir Na Nog

Tir Na Nog In Big Trouble If He Speaks

Part of the reason the invincibles were so good was because of the ability of Cole to be such a threat offensively, almost like a winger with Pires coming inside a lot but was also solid defensively. The perfect full-back.

5. Jury

Jury Mission Accomplished

Cole gets better as the years go by. Haven't seen anything remotely close to his level since. Best I've seen in the last 30 years.

L3T5 PL4Y and Rex Banner like this.
  6. Notorious Big

Notorious Big Stuck in the friend zone

Monreal legend lmao.Just because he plays for us 6 years ?

7. Notorious Big

Only Bergkamp was real legend.Cesc could be if he stayed with us and didn't go to that wankers from Catalonia.

Mo Britain likes this.
  8. hydrofluoric acid

Thanks for your opinion but I really don't care about it. I was just stating who I think are legends with us in the position behind the striker.

9. Manberg

Manberg Well-Known Member

For some here it seems that you had to have great ability to be considered a legend.
    However, Ramsey has far more talent than many former Arsenal players that are widely considered legends. So it's not about ability.

Mark Tobias likes this.
  10. Notorious Big

Think that Ramsey was never too influent to be legend.

11. freeglennhelder2

freeglennhelder2 Well-Known Member

Giroud, Monreal?

[​IMG]

Please close this thread. Cheers.

krackpot likes this.
  12. hydrofluoric acid

Ramsey is a legend for sure. 10 years without trophy and he ended it. 10 years is almost 1/8 of average life in western society. If you are not ready to count players who give you such a moment as a legend then there wont be many legends during your life time.

krackpot and Jury like this.
  13. Notorious Big

Legends for other clubs: Terry,Lampard,Gerrard,Giggs,Lahm,Zanetti,Messi,Ramos,Puyol,Totti,Del Piero etc.

Monreal,Giroud,Özil,Cesc

[​IMG]

kraphtous, <<reed>> and Tir Na Nog like this.
  14. Mo Britain

Mo Britain Doom Monger

If legends are players who score winning goals which end trophy droughts why is no-one mentioning Ray Kennedy? Or Charlie Nicholas? Or Alan Sunderland?

15. pigge

pigge Well-Known Member

Fabregas is the only legend for me. Started watching in 2007. Earlies people are not really something i've experianced. But **** it if i did not love every part of fabregas dominating the PL. I'll never forget when he was injured and came on and scored two goals and then got subbed off. absolute genious.

After fabregas though? Noone for me.

16. ArsenalFever

ArsenalFever Active Member

I think delegend would be a new word for the dictionary in Fabregas's case.
    Any player that moves to a rival club, is not a legend of this club. He was a great servant and for sure remembered for positive reasons.

I just think that's how high the benchmark is for legendary status.

17. Notorious Big

Fabregas can't be legend.He left us as a captain of club,never won big trophy with Arsenal and moved to Chelsea.He wasn't loyal enough to stay with Arsenal and become legend.

Cult hero for sure.Player who made difference in game,loved by fans,scored and assisted in some important moments and spent quite long time in the club.

Mark Tobias and krackpot like this.
  18. BaZZe

BaZZe Bitterswede

I think it's a combo of how long you'e been at the club and playing ability. What you lack in one you have to make up for with more of the other, however you need at least some of both.

19. celestis

celestis Arsenal-Mania Veteran Moderator

Mate a lot on here now would't know who Liam Brady is . Not that I blame them with our almost non existent channel.

20. krackpot

krackpot Well-Known Member

Good discussion. Think there are different aspects to being a legend. You might be a legend in a position, or in a region but not as a whole.

The whole invincibles would be PL and AFC legend. Only two or three players after the invincibles team could be considered close.

Ramsey is a Wales legend. Will be AFC legend if he wins in the Europa.

Cech is PL and Chelski legend. Will probably be called a Goalkeeping legend but in my books he is not.

Fabregas was PL legend, but not an AFC legend. Needed to win something with us. Vieira is better than him in all aspects.

Özil was Germany legend until he quit. Will be AFC legend if he wins the Europa. Very close to being a CAM legend.

McEnroe? Now he is a legend.