• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What makes an Arsenal player a club legend?

em9999

My rainbows
PATRICK VIEIRA last night aimed a sensational swipe at Arsenal as he finally lifted the lid on his controversial exit from Highbury.

The former Gunners skipper joined Italian giants Juventus in the summer after nine years in London but he has now spoken about his reasons for going.

And in a shock attack on boss Arsène Wenger and his old team-mates, Vieira:

# BLASTED them for lacking the will to win.

# TAUNTED them by insisting Juventus have more chance of Champions League success.

# And ADMITTED he went stale for his final two years at Arsenal.

Vieira earned the Gunners a massive £13.5million in the bank when he ditched the Premiership for Serie A.

Bitter

But his outburst will leave a bitter taste in the mouths of most supporters.

He said: "At least on paper, I think I have a better chance of winning the Champions League with Juventus.

"Our squad is very strong. Very often there are two internationals competing for each place in the team.

"There's a pressure here in Turin, a pressure on people to win, a determination in the air and in the environment that I hadn't felt in a long time at Arsenal. I have an excellent midfield partner with Emerson and we have a very strong midfield.

"Most of all, though, there's such a will to win here because Juventus are so used to winning.

"I feel pressure on me to do well and that hadn't happened in a while at Arsenal.

It started before he went to man city to be fair

PATRICK VIEIRA last night aimed a sensational swipe at Arsenal as he finally lifted the lid on his controversial exit from Highbury.

The former Gunners skipper joined Italian giants Juventus in the summer after nine years in London but he has now spoken about his reasons for going.

And in a shock attack on boss Arsène Wenger and his old team-mates, Vieira:

# BLASTED them for lacking the will to win.

# TAUNTED them by insisting Juventus have more chance of Champions League success.

# And ADMITTED he went stale for his final two years at Arsenal.

Vieira earned the Gunners a massive £13.5million in the bank when he ditched the Premiership for Serie A.

Bitter

But his outburst will leave a bitter taste in the mouths of most supporters.

He said: "At least on paper, I think I have a better chance of winning the Champions League with Juventus.

"Our squad is very strong. Very often there are two internationals competing for each place in the team.

"There's a pressure here in Turin, a pressure on people to win, a determination in the air and in the environment that I hadn't felt in a long time at Arsenal. I have an excellent midfield partner with Emerson and we have a very strong midfield.

"Most of all, though, there's such a will to win here because Juventus are so used to winning.

"I feel pressure on me to do well and that hadn't happened in a while at Arsenal.

It started before he went to man city to be fair

Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. At least not worth losing legend title for. But hey, your opinion man! :)

em9999

My rainbows
David Rocastle is also a legend, when he was told by Graham that a offer had been accepted from Leeds he cried his heart out, his heart was Arsenal. A true gentleman and a fine footballer sadly missed.

R.I.P

I just had to mention Rocky

Last edited:

LordBump

Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. At least not worth losing legend title for. But hey, your opinion man! :)
nothing wrong with that at all.
quite a few players have said the intensity isn't there at arsenal compared to other clubs.
I wish more ex players would come out.
its the culture that's been bred here. we all know it.

pikey2000

Legend is a tricky one - I would definitely put Ian Wright, Parlour, Dixon, Bould, Keown into that category as well - top performers and more importantly with the club for a long long time - also they are still passionate about the club. For me its more about playing time and loyalty to the club than it is about honours/medals won.

I remember reading Tony Adams autobiography where he says he would sign his contract without even reading it as he just wanted to play for the club........that in a nutshell is a legend in my book.

Take Özil for example - if he buggered off at the end of this season (not saying he will) he has come in, arguably at a pivotol time for us and helped us toward a few trophies after a barren spell BUT...crucially if he shoots off after just a few years you lose the opportunity to become something legendary at the club no matter how influencial you are in your short time

RVP missed that opportunity as well and unfortunately for him he won't have legend status at any club now, didnt spend long enough at UTD for me and now is doing the rounds in the Turkish league, Arsenal was his club he was just to stupid to realise it, as many others were.

gunnergoa

For me Gilberto Silva was an absolute legend. That Invincible team wouldn't have been their if it wasn't for Gilberto. An absolute gentle man he is the kind of DM we deserve and the kind wenger has been searching for. He never dived into tackle he never got bullied of the ball was always in the right, read the game very well, great in the air, place great on the ball. In the 235 games he played for arsenal got only 15 yellow and 2 reds that is spectacular.
I like what le coq has done but will like to see a DM in the mould of Gilberto. People who say we never replaced Vieira we did replace him we replaced him with Cesc. The guy whom we never replaced was Gilberto. When Vieira left it didn't bother me but i cried when Gilberto was let go.

goonerwarsh

Established Member
Vieira is a difficult one. The best midfielder I've ever seen at Arsenal.

But you never got the feeling he genuinely loved the club like other greats have and still do. I can't remember if it was in his autobiography I read it, or it may have been Harry Redknapps but before he signed for City he was trying to sign for Sp**s. When they asked him about his links with Arsenal he apparently didn't give two ****s how that would affect things.

Absolutely incredible player but questionable character for me.

gunnergoa

^^ maybe thats the reason why Wenger didn't wanted him back at the club as a coach. Their were times when i thought he was bigger than the club.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Is Kolo a legend? Went to play for a rival as well?

Overmars and Petit? Left in less than stellar circumstances

Sagna?

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

Sagna?

None of them are legends in my eyes. You have to reserve the legend status for the type of player who is not only a great player but a man that was Arsenal through and through and gave everything. Also no traitors, which rules out Cesc & RVP. Those you mention were good players, not great.

FreeGlennHelder

Anyone who saw PV4 play for us and does not think he was a legend should go and support another team immediately. I have never heard anything so ridiculous in my life. He was a legend, a gladiator, a god. His mere presence in the tunnel would guarantee 3 points before a ball was kicked.

He made a comment and hurt you in the feels?You. Cannot. Be. Serious. :lol:

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

http://www.footballfancast.com/foot...utes-a-legend-in-football#wq6td21XISSWw2PZ.97

It's a good read for anyone that is interested and if not it makes a good few points, how is the person remembered for what they done off the field and how do other fans view them.

Personally I don't think there have been any legends in an Arsenal shirt for a while now, that might change in ten years time as I begin to look back on certain players.

haha_arsenal

Sagna?

Sagna would of been a legend if he had won major trophies here, too bad.
Kolo was a wierd one (300+), many include myself do not consider him legend but Sol (210 matches) was a legend.
defenders are hard to become legends imo, they'd have to play in odd numbers of years and win something or be captain.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Sagna?
I thought about overmars and petit id put them in a maybe category at the end of the day they won the first double under wenger. Sagna no, when you think of arsenal legends you think of henry bergkamp pires seaman adams and the like. Then you go back further with graham, brady, big frank, charlie nicholas, rocastle, wilson, jennings etc.

Latest posts

Top Bottom