• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What makes an Arsenal player a club legend?

haha_arsenal

qucik question guys,
would he be a legend if he's to score more than 100 goals for us ?
he's on 85 now.
57610b68eab3c79b234066565fa4a56c.jpg

GOONER1991

Established Member
I don't think Vieira is a legend to be completely honest, and the reason why is simple really. Just look at the way Arsenal fans treat Henry, Bergkamp, Pires et al. You simply don't see that kind of affection for Vieira.

Whether this is because of the fact he was trying to leave us for years, or the more recent Manchester City connection (and associated comments) I don't know, but the affection for Vieira just isn't there. If we are completely honest, he doesn't seem to have a special bond with the club either.

Saying that though, his battles with Keane were legendary, and I'm sure his picture is up on the sides of the stadium, which pushes his legend status up.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
qucik question guys,
he's on 85 now.

I love "The Big G" but No, he wouldnt. If he scores over 30 next season and we win the title and him the Golden Boot, then yes, he could be considered.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
qucik question guys,
he's on 85 now.
Of course he could but he has a hard time convincing many on here. He'd need to achieve a few more impressive feats though - what those would be would no doubt be down to how many he scored & when & against whom he scored them. If he went on and scored 150 goals for Arsenal you'd have to consider him up there with the best.....;)

Iceman10

Established Member
At most IMO there can be 10 "legends"* for the club, and even that is a stretch before you start devaluing the term. There are three statues right now at the Emirates, although for sure I think Wrighty more than deserves one.

[*Players. Keeping managers separate]

Mastadon

Established Member
Vieira was a legend for me because he was a once in a generation type player. He was an absolutely colossus for us during the best period of the club's history (98-05). The fact that he seemed to be looking for a move away from the club with a year or 2 after joining doesn't take anything away from how magnificent he was for us. The truth is if he had joined us in the trophyless post Emirates era he would have left within a few years and have JVP status on here.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

At most IMO there can be 10 "legends"* for the club, and even that is a stretch before you start devaluing the term. There are three statues right now at the Emirates, although for sure I think Wrighty more than deserves one.

[*Players. Keeping managers separate]
Theres more than 10 mate over 120 years of football!

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

@haha_arsenal @Sanchez11

I honestly don't know about Sol, gets points for coming back to us when he was past it.

Loses points for playing half his career with the ****, the way that he left us first time and for snubbing me when I asked for an autograph as a kid. :lol:

Wasn't as traumatic as the time Bill Gallas told young, naive 14 year old me to f*ck off when I asked him for one in the street. Strange, strange man. :lol: :lol:

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
sagna...too few wins in his career.

can't compare Cesc and RvP. RvP never seemed bothered to show his fondness for the club, and JUMPED to a rival.

Cesc has always professed his loyalty, still tweets about Arsenal and seems to care.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Are people seriously suggesting if Giroud scores over 100 goals and wins a few more trophies with us he won't be considered a legend? :lol:

I can GUARANTEE by the time Giroud does leave us, he'll almost certainly be considered a legend. I'm willing to bank on that.

Aevi

Hale End FC

can't compare Cesc and RvP. RvP never seemed bothered to show his fondness for the club, and JUMPED to a rival.

Cesc has always professed his loyalty, still tweets about Arsenal and seems to care.
Actions speak louder than words

haha_arsenal

come again ?

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Are people seriously suggesting if Giroud scores over 100 goals and wins a few more trophies with us he won't be considered a legend? :lol:

I can GUARANTEE by the time Giroud does leave us, he'll almost certainly be considered a legend. I'm willing to bank on that.
The guy who became an arsenal legend against all odds!

haha_arsenal

really wish he manages to score 40 more goals, he'd surpass the **** in top scorer ranking.
It hurts me every time I see JVP above Bergkamp in that list.

redanddread

The stone that the builders refuse
Vieira was a legend for me because he was a once in a generation type player. He was an absolutely colossus for us during the best period of the club's history (98-05). The fact that he seemed to be looking for a move away from the club with a year or 2 after joining doesn't take anything away from how magnificent he was for us. The truth is if he had joined us in the trophyless post Emirates era he would have left within a few years and have JVP status on here.
Furthermore, we wouldn't have won nearly as much without him. The guy was a colossus for Arsenal. Captain of The Invincibles - club legend without doubt. The big Sausage.

Top Bottom