• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What makes an Arsenal player a club legend?

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
You really have to be a starting player for an Arsenal team that won a league title to be considered a legend here really.
Not just a starting player, but a very influential player as well.

Moah

You really have to be a starting player for an Arsenal team that won a league title to be considered a legend here really.
Yes, it should be the least of the requirements. Imagine thinking a player that didn't even start a consistent run of games a legend. If Ramsey is a legend then Alexis, Özil and Cazorla have a fair shout too.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I think we can all agree that Vieira and the Invincibles starting 11 are legends. After that, you have players who didn't win us a league but provided us with great wins and a cup and even an identity. I call these players icons. I think there are a lot of players who fall into this category. Cesc divides me. The way he left was poor but the way we played under his captaincy and the sheer endeavour he put in eg coming off the bench whilst injured at Christmas, winning the game in 20 minutes before limping off again-means I can't hate the guy. He might be a little legend along with Ramsey.

Football Manager

Copy & Paste Merchant
Invincibles are obvious legends.

I would have Van Persie, Fabregas, Nasri, Cazorla, Hleb, Rosicky, Sanchez, Arshavin coming after.

Trofton

Cesc snaked Wenger by refusing to train in order to get his Barca move after he built the team round him. I'm sure that was a reason Arsène never took him back.
Even guys like Nasri played for us days before moving.
He didn’t take him back because of Özil

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Player:Martinelli

That does seem to be the case, when you consider Aaron Ramsey isn't considered a legend despite taking part and scoring in multiple FA Cup Finals.

Many don't consider Cesc a legend here despite him obviously being a world class midfielder in his time here, yet Ray Parlour is an Arsenal legend to many despite being inferior as a player.

Obviously the Cesc...uation has other bitternesses associated with it as well, but I feel that's the main reason many wouldn't consider him a legend.

Last edited:

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

I think we can all agree that Vieira and the Invincibles starting 11 are legends. After that, you have players who didn't win us a league but provided us with great wins and a cup and even an identity. I call these players icons. I think there are a lot of players who fall into this category. Cesc divides me. The way he left was poor but the way we played under his captaincy and the sheer endeavour he put in eg coming off the bench whilst injured at Christmas, winning the game in 20 minutes before limping off again-means I can't hate the guy. He might be a little legend along with Ramsey.

Controversial but for me Cesc is a legend, as is Ramsey. Ramsey should be considered a legend for winning us two FA Cups with winning goals, whereas Cesc took us through a very difficult financial period and maintained our force as an elite club well past the point we should have been.

Let's not forget we were a fixture in the CL every year he was here, and mainly because of his relentless match winning displays.

I think very special players like Cesc don't come around often and given his 8 years here I'd put him in the legend category, but I know this isn't a popular opinion. Perhaps icon is a better word.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Ray Parlour is our most underrated player ever, certainly mine anyway.

Great team player obviously as he could play numerous position depending what was required, but was also quality with the ball...like many though, he suffered playing next to the Premiership's GOAT midfielder in Patrick Vieira.

Should have gotten more caps for England too, especially considering how well he played for us between 1997-2002...only that gimp Glen Hoddle cost Ray deservedly starting in the 1998 World Cup, after Parlour had a superb season capped with a MOTM display in the Cup final.

Top player.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Controversial but for me Cesc is a legend, as is Ramsey. Ramsey should be considered a legend for winning us two FA Cups with winning goals, whereas Cesc took us through a very difficult financial period and maintained our force as an elite club well past the point we should have been.

Let's not forget we were a fixture in the CL every year he was here, and mainly because of his relentless match winning displays.

I think very special players like Cesc don't come around often and given his 8 years here I'd put him in the legend category, but I know this isn't a popular opinion. Perhaps icon is a better word.
Cesc is a legend in my heart. If you watched us when he was here and judge him on performances alone, he is that. Ramsey is an icon to me and also a folk hero. Too often injured with questionable "technique" to be a real legend but your post has me wavering.

DJ_Markstar

Based and Artetapilled

Cesc is a legend in my heart. If you watched us when he was here and judge him on performances alone, he is that. Ramsey is an icon to me and also a folk hero. Too often injured with questionable "technique" to be a real legend but your post has me wavering.

2...winning...goals...in...FA...Cup...finals...

come on bro you know it makes sense :D

DavidHillier

Back to A-M 😞
Fabregas shouldn't ever be considered a legend for us.

I don't see how any Arsenal fan can look at that barren period between 2006 and 2012 (all the while building the team around this head-dropper) with any fondness. Looking enviously at Chelsea. Embarrassing scorelines. A **** captain in Fabregas.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
All Villarreal did was beat two trash teams, that's no marker of Coquelin's ability. He is/was rubbish.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Didn't mean for my flippant remark (that was mainly having a go at Xhaka) about Coquelin, to start a debate....I don't really think he was good enough to be a starter either.

He was a really good player to have in your squad though, as he has shown for us and Valencia...would take him over Granit every single time, no matter how many "progressive passing stats" you show me.

Kav

Established Member
Coquelin was good at one thing and that was breaking plays and making tackles. His passing was average. Still be knew his role and played it well. He was no Viera, Petit, Fabregas, Gilberto or Edu or even a Rosicky or Diaby. But he was better than Xhaka, Elneny, and who ever else we have presently.

Top Bottom