• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

What to Look Out for Tonight

Status
Not open for further replies.

lewdikris

Established Member
Ok peeps, no time for a full preview article from me but here's a few pointers as to what's gonna be one hell of a ride.

1. Vieira and Gilberto.

Forget about Titi coming back, the real battle's to be won by these two. We lost against Inter in the first game because they both played like idiots for 90 minutes. The same scoreline could happen again if they do tonight.

But i doubt it. Gilberto's had an odd two weeks, even by his own variable standards. Rubbish against Fulham, rubbish first half against Leicester - then absolutely amazing in the second half,when he should have had a dazzling hat-trick and scored a brilliant goal.

He or Vieira needs to break into the box tonight on crosses, then we have a real chance of an aerial goal. I'm sure Wenger's told them that - and that the other man needs to be lurking back covering the defence whenever that's happening.

2. Bobby and Freddie.

I'm most hopeful about tonight because these guys are in form - Bobby's back to his creative best, and Freddie's scoring goals, which is, basically, what they're both good at. Expect runs into the box from both of them.

3. Titi.

Tonight he's gotta draw fire away from Bergkamp so that the Dutch master can set up one of the above four to score. Expect two men on him at all times, and quick balls back to Bergy to make that numerical advantage count our way.

A big tactical night for him rather than anything else.

4. The defence.

Whether Keown or Cygan starts i'm not sure - it depends how match-fit Wenger thinks Keown is. I don't expect them to be too pressured tonight - Loko are coming for a 0-0 pure and simple.

But it's another test of concentration - hopefully it's the model of Milan rather than Leicester we'll see. No matter what, as always expect one lapse of concentration - just hope it doens't kill us.

5. Bergkamp.

This is his biggest night. He's bang in form, and playing what could be his last CL match if we fail. If a winning goal comes i expect it to be setup by Bergy - forget Titi for World Player of the Year, it's time for the master to leave another relic of his greatness in the Marble Halls.

Damn i'm nervous.

C'mon Boys!

Adam

Established Member
Other factors:

1. How we dominate midfield denying creative technicians such as Loskov and Khoklov. Let their defence have possesion. Their attack must be isolated.
2. Ray Parlour and Keown playing for Gilberto and Cygan. Stong mentalities, can help us to hold onto leads.
3. Pressing high up the pitch and maintaining work rate - forcing the composed Russian defenders into errors.
4. Crowd - when the players are nervous and cautious, the crowd must push the team on.
5. And maybe most importantly - Early goal which may open floodgates.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
I am well nervous too.

The early goal is the thing, then we can all get down to a good win for the Gooners. Until that first goal we will all be a bag of nerves.

The crowd had better not show it too much. I think a lot of the fairweather lot pulled out of this after the Kiev match (serves them right), so there should be a lot of enthusiastic first timers.

Sing up all you who go tonight, the boys will be really nervous, this is where you really do make a difference.

Adam

Established Member
Some would put out the Ljungberg and Pires argument. That is, they can't play in the same team. Parlour would add solidarity on the right and would help to dominate the midfield, but with Bergkamp getting space i would want to enforce the Bergy-Ljungberg partnership.

I can see him firing things up more than Gilberto for this game. No coincedence that we didn't hold onto leads as well with Cygan and Gilberto in the team compared to Parlour and Keown the season before. We have seen an improvement from both these players, but not enough to displace the stronger mentalities that Ray and Martin have, as well as the commitment.

Gilberto has better ability than Parlour, but what is often the case in these big games - application counts.

Mark

Established Member
i agree that parlour and keown should play rather than gilberto and cygan, especially cygan, i still don't have faith in him. keown and parlour are more hard working and we will need to concentrate all through the game. this is more likely to be like the 1-0 win over kiev than the win over inter.

Stim

Another big factor is:

Sol Campbell and Jens Lehmann using all of their experience to defend as hard as they can all night and command the defence. Sol needs to have one of those games where he is everywhere.

Lukazan

Established Member
Oh god, I am well looking forward to this match now!!

Got me pot noodle and litre of Pepsi ready!!!

:)

XxGoonaStuxX

Pot Noodle and a Pepsi - BAH. I shall k a visit to KFC just before and get some chicken. So damn tired. I had a 5KM cross country run earlier. Knackered....Hope its a good game :)

Webdesignlab

Established Member
LuKaZaN said:
Got me pot noodle and litre of Pepsi ready!!!

:)
LOL

This is £10 million game from the CL TV rights. If we qulaify we get more dosh and a lot of strikers will want to join us.

If we don't ...well let's just win it and we don't have to think about that.

JazzG

Established Member
Adam said:
Other factors:

1. How we dominate midfield denying creative technicians such as Loskov and Khoklov. Let their defence have possesion. Their attack must be isolated.
2. Ray Parlour and Keown playing for Gilberto and Cygan. Stong mentalities, can help us to hold onto leads.
3. Pressing high up the pitch and maintaining work rate - forcing the composed Russian defenders into errors.
4. Crowd - when the players are nervous and cautious, the crowd must push the team on.

Agreed

The crowd won't get behind the team today, a sad reality we have to come to terms with.

The Mini

We must get the ball to Bobby or Bergy. Freddie has found his scoring ability but hasn't got it back with the assisting and Henry mustn't have the ball unless really for a shot at goal, 2 players will bar his way

Mark

Established Member
damn, just what none of us wanted. gilberto and cygan both start ahead of parlour and keown. i'm particularly worried about cygan. he better not mess up tonight or i will be well pissed. :evil:

Webdesignlab

Established Member
JazzG said:
Adam said:
Other factors:

Agreed

The crowd won't get behind the team today, a sad reality we have to come to terms with.

JazzG we got a very loud crowd tonight. I put it dwon to the many Genral sale tickets, this really lifts the library. In the future with a 60,000 capacity stadium we will have lots of them, they sing more becuse it's the first time for a lot of them.

lewdikris

Established Member
Er, hello? I would just like to say that I was, well, 100% right.

Damn i'm good lol ;D ;D ;D

jc8gooner

We did all of these and won. A very astute comment!

lewdikris

Established Member
Ok, so me and Adam got everything right between us ... but i don't mind taking the credit...

Superdudes

even though some fans have predict that arsenal will win and some even predict it correctly, i think i'm one of the few who don't have any doubt that arsenal will win.. i was 100% sure..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

We lacked a little bit of sharpness

Arsène Wenger
Top Bottom