• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

When should Arsène Wenger have left ??

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

At that point, we could have gone and hired another top coach. We still had CL football then. We could have attracted big talents for a rebuild.

A top coach won't have stuck with Giroud. He'd have convinced the board to go all in for a top striker.

Wenger persevered with him. Even going as far as saying in 2015/2016 that "No one could improve the team"

fecking hell

MD3 Gunner

All Deals Off

At that point, we could have gone and hired another top coach. We still had CL football then. We could have attracted big talents for a rebuild.

A top coach won't have stuck with Giroud. He'd have convinced the board to go all in for a top striker.

Wenger persevered with him. Even going as far as saying in 2015/2016 that "No one could improve the team"

fecking hell
Don’t get me wrong Giroud going 15 games without scoring certainly didn’t help, but it’s not just him we lost the title the main problem was the mentality

Dj_sds -

Bigger question is why didn’t the club make the changes around Wenger when he was still here?

Ivan and others hid and let him take all the blame for their poverty leadership.

They tried, he refused..

“No. I don’t know what director of football means. Is it somebody who stands in the road and directs play right and left? I don’t understand and I never did understand what it means.”

It was then put to him that there might be some restructuring. “No, no, no,” he said. “Sorry, no. I’m not prepared to talk about that. I’m the manager of Arsenal Football Club and, as long as I’m manager of Arsenal Football Club, I will decide what happens on the technical front. That’s it.”

From the horse's mouth.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Don’t get me wrong Giroud going 15 games without scoring certainly didn’t help, but it’s not just him we lost the title the main problem was the mentality
Mentality had nothing to do with the gilt-edged chances Giroud was missing during his barren run. If I remember correctly, we still played well after Coquelin and Sanchez injury. Inability to score goals kill us. It was infuriating watching Giroud miss and start Smilling like a chesire cat FFS.

We had a good defense that season. We had the highest number of clean sheets.
Infact, going into that season everyone knew Giroud was our weak link. But it still remains a mystery why we didn't upgrade him. We had arguably the best squad that season. We just needed a top CF. The league was there for the taking. But we ****ed it up.

The sad part is, I don't think club was bothered. Because to them, the season was a success because we finished top four

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
When was the last time Arsène was offered a top job to leave Arsenal?

Summer 2006, Real Madrid approached him (and Cesc) but both turned Real down...anyone remember any others after this?

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

When was the last time Arsène was offered a top job to leave Arsenal?

Summer 2006, Real Madrid approached him (and Cesc) but both turned Real down...anyone remember any others after this?
I heard a rumour maybe PSG was interested one time

GDeep™

League is very weak
I heard a rumour maybe PSG was interested one time
Wenger has a relationship with the owners, since before they took over PSG, so you can bet he was offered that job. He works for them now anyway, with Bein Sports.

Most interesting was Utd approaching him in 2001 because they thought Ferguson was retiring.

MD3 Gunner

All Deals Off
Mentality had nothing to do with the gilt-edged chances Giroud was missing during his barren run. If I remember correctly, we still played well after Coquelin and Sanchez injury. Inability to score goals kill us. It was infuriating watching Giroud miss and start Smilling like a chesire cat FFS.

We had a good defense that season. We had the highest number of clean sheets.
Infact, going into that season everyone knew Giroud was our weak link. But it still remains a mystery why we didn't upgrade him. We had arguably the best squad that season. We just needed a top CF. The league was there for the taking. But we ****ed it up.

The sad part is, I don't think club was bothered. Because to them, the season was a success because we finished top four
Benzema was our #1 target but it was alywas difficult to bring him in.. really think someone like Cavani or Auba would’ve been perfect. It baffles me more though we didn’t sign a holding midfielder though. I know Wanyamas career has gone downhill now but he would’ve been a much better addition than Elneny

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

I say this all the time, it's the players fault. But people have a hero worship with the players so they just blame Arsène again.

A lot of you think Koscielny is amazing but he's a big reason we've lost a lot of games and never were title contenders since he always had a mistake in him and was too rash living loads of space behind.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
I say this all the time, it's the players fault. But people have a hero worship with the players so they just blame Arsène again.

A lot of you think Koscielny is amazing but he's a big reason we've lost a lot of games and never were title contenders since he always had a mistake in him and was too rash living loads of space behind.

Cuts both ways i think. No doubt that the player worship can make one blind, but same goes for some who is into total Wenger worship. A little bit of exhibit A, and a little bit of exhibit b for me.

Agree with Koscielny, you actually opened my eyes somewhat on that one. Incredibly overrated, but an easy player to like those patches that he played at a pretty high lever.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I watched the Southampton game where Szczesny was essentially dropped afterward. I mean Szczesny gets the blame but leading up to Mane's goal, Koscielny was ahead of Mane but Mane then brushed him aside so easily Koscielny was just really weak in that instance. But there's so many examples. It's honestly starting to look more and more like Mertesacker was essentially for Koscielny, and even at that it didn't stop him from having those moments.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Why does anybody need blame? I mean from 2006 on Wenger had to play kids, sign guys like Kos, Giroud etc who were not top established players. Lack of finances meant it was a team of misfits, you get mistakes and bad results with teams like this.

What games are you going to win and what mistakes are you avoiding with an 18 year old Ramsey, Clichy, Walcott, Almunia, Song etc.

I don’t blame the manager or players, it was just the situation we were in. The move from Highbury made us a **** club, which we all knew would happen, but we’re still not out of that 15 years on.

UpTheGunnerz

I dont believe i remember if Gabriel ever was paired with Mertesacker but i genuinely think that would have yielded the same highs and lows as with Kos. As i remember it Gab played mostly alongside Kos and that was disastrous because they were too similar in their unwarranted aggressiveness. Two headless chickens, they needed mother hen Mertesacker to control em

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
I dont believe i remember if Gabriel ever was paired with Mertesacker but i genuinely think that would have yielded the same highs and lows as with Kos. As i remember it Gab played mostly alongside Kos and that was disastrous because they were too similar in their unwarranted aggressiveness. Two headless chickens, they needed mother hen Mertesacker to control em

Kos at his best was a level above Gabriel really, and Per was terrible in 15/16 anyway when Gabby got settled here to a degree, so we couldn't not play Kos, even if his injury was starting to take a toll on his performances.

Kos needed Per, but Per needed Kos just as much (Per made some howlers over the years too) but normally the two were very good when playing together.

Last edited:

UpTheGunnerz

Kos at his best was a level above Gabriel really, and Per was terrible in 15/16 anyway when Gabby got settled here to a degree, so we couldn't not play Kos, even if his injury was starting to take a toll on his performances.

Yeah probably right dat. Happy that me boi is doing well and a starter for Valencia though, obviously not a bad CB at all

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
I watched the Southampton game where Szczesny was essentially dropped afterward. I mean Szczesny gets the blame but leading up to Mane's goal, Koscielny was ahead of Mane but Mane then brushed him aside so easily Koscielny was just really weak in that instance. But there's so many examples. It's honestly starting to look more and more like Mertesacker was essentially for Koscielny, and even at that it didn't stop him from having those moments.

I remember the FA Cup game vs United where Alexis Sanchez scored against us.

Lukaku had the ball and there was no space and no where to run into for Alexis, Koscielny being the laibility he is runs at Lukaku leaving Alexis to run into the space Koscielny just vacated and scoring a goal. Proper schoolboy antics:

Without Mertesacker he was useless, Kos/ Vermaelen Djouroru or Mustafi were all terrible pairings because he wasn't a leader either.

Not to mention he was always crying, remember he cried in front of the whole team when trying to give a speech? Or when he cried because his kid asked him why he's so sh*t? That is not an inspiring leader.

Top Bottom