• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

When should Arsène Wenger have left ??

Kav

Established Member
It sent out the wrong message. The mentality within the club hasn’t been what it should be ever since.
I know it does send the wrong message but that was what his superiors wanted and he knew then that they were not giving him the funds to compete.

The arsenal model has always been to spend what you earn, never mind that others are not doing so. It left him with the inability to invest in the squad adequately. I know some will say we started spending in 2013 and that is true. But when we finally spend 35 Mil. Good midfielders were going for 70-80M. When we finally spent 50M on an attacker who we should not have bought, top grade attackers were going for 80m and up.

We upped it and got Auba and that was his last real quality signing but gazidis wanted to get rid of him a long time ago and in his last season Gazidis jumped at the opportunity to sack him after a few bad results in Feb/March. I put more blame on the upper management than I do on Wenger.

The man had been given a basket to carry water for years and never complained. Now people see that it wasn't Arsène that was the root of the problem they want to blame everyone except the present coach but were quick to blame Wenger. People just need to admit it, they wanted change for change sake, the man was there for too long in their eyes and they wanted to experience something new. Well they got it and we are ****.

Breezy

I know it does send the wrong message but that was what his superiors wanted and he knew then that they were not giving him the funds to compete.

The arsenal model has always been to spend what you earn, never mind that others are not doing so. It left him with the inability to invest in the squad adequately. I know some will say we started spending in 2013 and that is true. But when we finally spend 35 Mil. Good midfielders were going for 70-80M. When we finally spent 50M on an attacker who we should not have bought, top grade attackers were going for 80m and up.

We upped it and got Auba and that was his last real quality signing but gazidis wanted to get rid of him a long time ago and in his last season Gazidis jumped at the opportunity to sack him after a few bad results in Feb/March. I put more blame on the upper management than I do on Wenger.

The man had been given a basket to carry water for years and never complained. Now people see that it wasn't Arsène that was the root of the problem they want to blame everyone except the present coach but were quick to blame Wenger. People just need to admit it, they wanted change for change sake, the man was there for too long in their eyes and they wanted to experience something new. Well they got it and we are ****.

Arsène wasn’t the root of the problem but there is no doubt that he was part of the problem.

Reactions: Kav

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Well Gazidis brought him in, then the Kroenkes were happy to give him a bigger role once Gazidis left

God, if Gazidis told me don't jump off that cliff over there I'd jump off head first.

How is it possible for one man to make so many key decisions and every single one of them was wrong, poorly planned out or didn't amount to anything?

Kav

Established Member
Stan took over in 2011.

Stan initially invested in arsenal in 2007 and for years he and Usmanov each had 30% share capital but neither were going to sell to each other. Stan was on the board and Usmanov was not. Stan got the other board members to sell their shares around 2010/11 and he bought them up slowly. Until it was just him and Usmanov. Usmanov realized he couldn't win the game and sold out to stan a couple of years ago.

Stan is a big part of the problem but he is not the sole reason for our situation. The stadium debt, proxy war in the board room and big money/oil money/ going into other clubs helped to significantly alter the landscape in which we were challenging.

GDeep™

League is very weak
It’s sad but you can’t bring Wenger back to Arsenal in any capacity because anything that goes wrong, he’ll get the blame.

I’m surprised somebody hasn’t blamed Wenger for Covid yet.

GDeep™

League is very weak
But he didn’t take over 18 months after the CL final. He didn’t have full control until 2011.
He had controlling vote on the board from 2008. We’re getting into semantics here.

If Wenger wasn’t cutting it, Stan should’ve sacked him and given Pep a deal and 200M to spend.

In fact, you didn’t even have to sack Wenger, just let his contract finish and don’t extend.

Breezy

He had controlling vote on the board from 2008. We’re getting into semantics here.

If Wenger wasn’t cutting it, Stan should’ve sacked him and given Pep a deal and 200M to spend.

In fact, you didn’t even have to sack Wenger, just let his contract finish and don’t extend.

Semantics or not Wenger was a big part of the decline. From accepting 2nd best, poor recruitment, undying loyalty to underperforming players to defensive negligence and outdated tactics.

Breezy

How did he accept 2nd best? That was the situation, other clubs had money and we didn’t.

It doesn’t matter what other clubs had. You do not come out and basically say that 4th place is acceptable. For a club of our stature that sort of statement is completely counterproductive. If I was the owner he would have been sacked on the spot.

GDeep™

League is very weak
It doesn’t matter what other clubs had. You do not come out and basically say that 4th place is acceptable. For a club of our stature that sort of statement is completely counterproductive. If I was the owner he would have been sacked on the spot.

He said it because it was the club target. The media was attacking him and he told them top 4 is a massive coup, like a trophy.

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

Breezy

He said it because it was the club target. The media was attacking him and he told them top 4 is a massive coup, like a trophy.

You don’t know what you’re talking about.

We know why he said it. To lower the expectations of the fans, taking the pressure off himself and protect his job. The club has been paying for it and feeling sorry for itself ever since.

The manager of a club as big as Arsenal should under no circumstances be coming out and saying 4th spot is like winning a trophy ffs. Loser mentality that’s infected this club ever since.

Kav

Established Member
We know why he said it. To lower the expectations of the fans, taking the pressure off himself and protect his job. The club has been paying for it and feeling sorry for itself ever since.

The manager of a club as big as Arsenal should under no circumstances be coming out and saying 4th spot is like winning a trophy ffs. Loser mentality that’s infected this club ever since.
You do know that there is a big difference between 4th and top four?

The man never said anything about 4th. He said Top four, which literally means 1-4. Most of you are arguing about things that aren’t even relevant.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Wenger said that by letting Cesc and Nasri leave we had become a small club. He should have accepted the Man City project. After Cesc leaving he built the Özil-Santi-Sanchez team for one last hurrah but his heart was never in it after Cesc left and he knew top4 was the only realistic target. He was a fan of the club and the real fans loved him and he loved them so he fought on till he could fight no more against the toupee wearing trump loving owners

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Wenger said that by letting Cesc and Nasri leave we had become a small club. He should have accepted the Man City project. After Cesc leaving he built the Özil-Santi-Sanchez team for one last hurrah but his heart was never in it after Cesc left and he knew top4 was the only realistic target. He was a fan of the club and the real fans loved him and he loved them so he fought on till he could fight no more against the toupee wearing trump loving owners
You make up a lot of stuff but atleast your posts make me laugh. Cesc and Nasri cut Wenger deep I agree.

I doubt Kronke hated Arsène he made him too much money and took a lot of bullets for him. I’m sure when Kronke bought the club Wenger was a factor.

I suspect hostility at executive level came from Gazidis and the wave of goons he continuously hired to undermine Wenger . We will never know though.

Latest posts

Top Bottom