• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

When was our best chance to win the league since 2006?

When was our best chance to win the league since 2006?

• 2007/2008

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • 2013/2014

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2015/2016

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • 2009/2010

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • 2010/2011

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
We've had many chance to win the league but failed to take them.

In 2007/2008 we had a team capable of winning it but was killed by an injury to our only fit striker. Imagine having RVP and Eduardo fit that season.

In 2012/2013, We basically gifted the title to United by selling them RVP. He then proceeded to win the title with the Worst SAF's squad ever? We'd have walked the league title

2013/2014 we had a great squad. We a great defense. We had the highest clean sheets that season. Having Giroud as our only Senior CF really killed us. He missed many chance and went through that long scoreless streak that all but killed our title hope.

2016, we had a great defense. Again, we had the highest clean sheets. We didn't even sign a single outfield player that season and basically gifted the title to Leicester.

Last edited:

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
It's 2015/2016...that was the crossroads for Big Wengz.

2007/2008 was the better season all round though, by quite some distance...better teams in England, better Arsenal performances, better Arsenal kits and even the design of the football the Premiership was using was better...

...one of the few seasons at the Emirates where at the end of it I was, obviously disappointed, but mainly very proud of the team...felt they had done the fans proud. (most of them anyway, **** Gallas).

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Obviously we had the better team in 07/08. but we had the chance of a lifetime to win it in 15/16 but fecked it up because we were being cheap.

If we had an Auba in 2015/2016 we'd have walked the league IMO.

Corbulo

In 2007/08 season our squad was better but what happened in Birmingham has been blown out of proportion. Our players were not forced to watch the beheading video of Eduardo Alves da Silva.
Gallas sitting on the most aesthetically pleasing part of his body summed up our season.

We peaked too early and couldn't sustain the same level for the remaining games. The football was entertaining but we needed a second mating. Unfortunately we kept thumping the floor like an introverted male rabbit.

In 2015/16 we missed a bigger opportunity. Chelsea plummeted, inexplicably, for the first half of the season. United and City have been slightly worse, we were pretty much the same. We should have capitalised on that, not Leicester. You'd never hear the shot. One second you'd have a head, and the next, you wouldn't. Those foxes were brimming with confidence every time they got onto the pitch. No was expecting them to win the title. They were between the idiocy of infancy and the folly of youth.

Having said that, it is ridiculously unlikely that a season like that one will play out again any time soon.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

2016 we absolutely should have won it. 2008 probably more quality in the side but the United side which won the title was a lot better than our side, we had no right to be competing with them. Remarkable achievement that we were in the title race for so long.

Oxeki

Trusted ⭐

Yeah, that 07/08 Fergie team is the best united team of all time. It's crazy how we remained in the title race for so long despite not having near enough quality as them.

All in all, it was a great season in terms of the football we played. Our team that year is the most entertaining team I've ever seen IMO

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Is 10/11 a big missed opportunity too tho? I didn't think United were particularly that great that year at all. We had Van Persie, Nasri, Fabregas, Arshavin, Wilshere, Walcott, Song, Diaby, Ramsey as our option in attack and midfield. You look to results vs Newcastle surrendering leads, think we did the same in two NLD's, Liverpool getting that late penalty, losing to Bolton and Stoke. I honestly thought we had the best team that year in terms of quality, we just didn't have the winning experience, or experience in general.

Riou

Is 10/11 a big missed opportunity too tho? I didn't think United were particularly that great that year at all. We had Van Persie, Nasri, Fabregas, Arshavin, Wilshere, Walcott, Song, Diaby, Ramsey as our option in attack and midfield. You look to results vs Newcastle surrendering leads, think we did the same in two NLD's, Liverpool getting that late penalty, losing to Bolton and Stoke. I honestly thought we had the best team that year in terms of quality, we just didn't have the winning experience, or experience in general.

United's backline was still great that season, while ours was not to say the least...plus as you say, Fergie had that mentality drilled into them.

The 13-14 defence with the 10-11 attack would have been something though.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
I voted for 15/16 but I still think 09/10 gets overlooked slightly. That team was very good and still in with a shout after that last minute winner by Bendtner against Wolves:
Untitled.jpg

Bear in mind this was the team that played against Wolves:
It would've been just a one point gap to Chelsea without Almunia's howler against Birmingham. The team collapsed after that winning just 1 of the next 6 in the league, albeit with half the first choice XI out with injury.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
I voted for 15/16 but I still think 09/10 gets overlooked slightly. That team was very good and still in with a shout after that last minute winner by Bendtner against Wolves:
Untitled.jpg

It would've been just a one point gap to Chelsea without Almunia's howler against Birmingham. The team collapsed after that winning just 1 of the next 6 in the league, albeit with half the first choice XI out with injury.

We were very bad in all matches against Utd and Chelsea :lol:,with few other bad results,that made difference at the end.

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
We were very bad in all matches against Utd and Chelsea :lol:,with few bad results,that made difference at the end.
Yeah the big games were poor, but that's only four matches in the season. The injuries really killed that title challenge more than anything imo, guys like Gallas, Fabregas and Arshavin rushed back to play that Barca CL tie.

Riou

Untitled.jpg

Campbell and Silvestre starting important league games in 2010, only at Arsenal ffs :lol:

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Think that 2010/11 was big blow at the end.Apart from our poor defence,squad was very good and Man Utd was only team that could stop us to win title.Remember that in April we lost points against Blackburn,Liverpool,Bolton,Stoke etc.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Yeah the big games were poor, but that's only four matches in the season. The injuries really killed that title challenge more than anything imo, guys like Gallas, Fabregas and Arshavin rushed back to play that Barca CL tie.

Yeah,we were in title race until April,as i can remember.Than lost points against Birmingham,Sp**s and Wigan.Too many injuries and against Barcelona we played without some important players.

But really,Chelsea and Utd smashed us at Emirates.We should done better and maybe take some momentum.

Reactions: A_G

Riou

2010 Champions...Chelski - Cech, Terry, Carvalho
2011 Champions...Yanited - Van Der Sar, Ferdinand, Vidic

Our defensive structure wasn't great in those two seasons really, as fun as we were to watch, weren't really good enough in those two years...not winning the cup in 2011 was very disappointing though.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom