• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

When was our best chance to win the league since 2006?

When was our best chance to win the league since 2006?

• 2007/2008

Votes: 17 42.5%
  • 2013/2014

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2015/2016

Votes: 18 45.0%
  • 2009/2010

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • 2010/2011

Votes: 3 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
15/16. But we weren't good at all, in fact we were ****. Just less **** than the others.

Exactly, this is what I think when people bring up that season. We were even worse that season than the previous one (14/15), just because we were less sh*t than the rest doesn't give us the right. We never really challenged Leicester at all that season.

I guess it was probably our best chance since it was the one time all the teams richer than us were bad at the same time, but still we didn't make an effort to win the league.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Exactly, this is what I think when people bring up that season. We were even worse that season than the previous one (14/15), just because we were less sh*t than the rest doesn't give us the right. We never really challenged Leicester at all that season.

I guess it was probably our best chance since it was the one time all the teams richer than us were bad at the same time, but still we didn't make an effort to win the league.
What makes most people angry is that we botched that transfer window. If we'd improved our team in that window, we'd probably have won the league. Our team in 2015/2016 wasn't as good as as previous years. But we had the advantage of all our rivals having various degrees of slumps. But we failed to take advantage.

If we had one extra decent midfielder and a competent striker, we'd have won the league. When Coquelin and Sanchez got injured, we unraveled

BigPoppaPump

What makes most people angry is that we botched that transfer window. If we'd improved our team in that window, we'd probably have won the league. Our team in 2015/2016 wasn't as good as as previous years. But we had the advantage of all our rivals having various degrees of slumps. But we failed to take advantage.

If we had one extra decent midfielder and a competent striker, we'd have won the league. When Coquelin and Sanchez got injured, we unraveled

Ifs buts and maybes. Arsenal fans always say "if X happened in Y year we would have won the league" it's nonsense most of the time.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Ifs buts and maybes. Arsenal fans always say "if X happened in Y year we would have won the league" it's nonsense most of the time.

Do you have "what if" moments from your time as a fan...or have Arsenal just pissed you off too much to care anymore? :lol:

BigPoppaPump

Do you have "what if" moments from your time as a fan...or have Arsenal just pissed you off too much to care anymore? :lol:

Definitely, the CL in 2004 and 2006 or anytime we lost the title to United pre 2004 since I think we were the better team.

Also I wish Arsène changed his style to be more like the time we beat Man City at the Etihad in 2015. I feel like we'd be much more successful if we went to a defensive style.

But all those all if this player was fit or if we bought that player isn't good enough because the gap between us and the teams above us is too big and we were always prone to a collapse.

Don't act like I'm the one being strange for not being delusional, most of you make up narratives.

Riou

Definitely, the CL in 2004 and 2006 or anytime we lost the title to United pre 2004 since I think we were the better team.

Also I wish Arsène changed his style to be more like the time we beat Man City at the Etihad in 2015. I feel like we'd be much more successful if we went to a defensive style.

But all those all if this player was fit or if we bought that player isn't good enough because the gap between us and the teams above us is too big and we were always prone to a collapse.

Don't act like I'm the one being strange for not being delusional, most of you make up narratives.

When it was just us and United really going for the title in that 1997-2004 period, the one season that really pisses me off is 02/03, how we didn't retain the title that year I will never know.

We were the better team in 1998, 2002 and 2004 and won the league...they were the better team in 1999, 2000, 2001 and won the league...but 2003, our worst ever bottle job, in terms of the league imo.

2014/2015 is one of my favourite Emirate's seasons, the second half of it at least...bar the Monaco game, I thought we had turned a corner...we had a good team, started to play a bit smarter, won the cup...then 2016 happened and we were still crap :lol:

BigPoppaPump

When it was just us and United really going for the title in that 1997-2004 period, the one season that really pisses me off is 02/03, how we didn't retain the title that year I will never know.

We were the better team in 1998, 2002 and 2004 and won the league...they were the better team in 1999, 2000, 2001 and won the league...but 2003, our worst ever bottle job, in terms of the league imo.

2014/2015 is one of my favourite Emirate's seasons, the second half of it at least...bar the Monaco game, I thought we had turned a corner...we had a good team, started to play a bit smarter, won the cup...then 2016 happened and we were still crap :lol:

Tbh I meant that one I was too young to remember the seasons before 2001.

goonerfamily

07/08 was the last time I genuinely thought we would win it tbh

In 13/14 I thought we were good but never really thought we were better than our competitors

15/16 we should've won it but I never really believed we would. We actually were kind of **** that season and we never built any momentum

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

2010 for me, was in our hands at one stage with several games in hand that we could’ve won and gone top.

Ended it up bottling it so hard I never trusted the team again. That f*cking shambles against Wigan was the cherry on top of the sh*t cake.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
2010 for me, was in our hands at one stage with several games in hand that we could’ve won and gone top.

Ended it up bottling it so hard I never trusted the team again. That f*cking shambles against Wigan was the cherry on top of the sh*t cake.

Would definitely put 2008 and 2011 as better chance to win it,if you watch whole circumstances.

We were somehow always behind Chelsea and United in 2009/10.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Went close in the mid/late noughties but the opposition were far less forgiving. 15/16 was a penalty kick.

mpower2540

Tbh 10/11 was the last time I genuinely felt we would win it. There was a period around December/January when we had Wilshere, Song, Fabregas, Nasri, Walcott and Van Persie all fit and firing, we smashed Chelsea and I thought this is it. Didn’t think that Utd side was up to much either. Unfortunately Fabregas and Nasri checked out and we picked up more injuries while we couldn’t quite mentally hack it either.

I’ve never truly believed since then. 15/16 was shambolic. Didn’t invest in the outfield after a good end to the 14/15 campaign, Cazorla got injured yet we still didn’t bother strengthening apart from Elneny in January. We finished with 71 points which isn’t a particularly great total and the 3-2 loss at old Trafford was one of the most meek performances I’ve seen from us given United had so many injuries.

mpower2540

The 2-2 against Bolton after being 2-0 up, terrible.
From what I remember they kicked us off the pitch that day, pretty sure we picked up some injuries.

The 2-2 at Highbury against Utd too, wed turned the game around and Solskjaer scores straight away, we could be so frustrating even then! United went on a crazy run though and were in great form by the end. Think it was the first time I actually shed tears over football when it had gone hahaha

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

09/10 we lost to United and Chelsea both home and away and it always felt like we were chasing them. I don't really see that as a good chance at all. 10/11 seemed slightly better, if anything I think the fact we were fighting on all four fronts for so long hindered us because our squad wasn't big enough to deal with all the competitions. The league cup defeat effectively ended our season. I remember in the 10/11 season United lost to Wolves on the same day we drew 4-4 with Newcastle at the same time Chelsea had been faltering since November after an impressive start to the season. United were very mediocre for long periods of that season. I remember there was two games in particular at Blackpool and West Ham where they ended up 2-0 down in both games but still ended up winning, against Blackpool they should have conceded a penalty at 2-0 down which ended up changing the game for them. Typical.

I think if you're talking about the ability of our team combined with our chances for success looking out our rivals I'd say 10/11 was the best of both worlds. 07/08 we had a better team, 15/16 we had a better opportunity because our biggest competition was Leicester. 10/11 we had a pretty good team, certainly in terms of our attack and I didn't particularly rate United or Chelsea that year, certainly in comparison to their teams in previous seasons.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

The 2-2 against Bolton after being 2-0 up, terrible.

I was watching the 02/03 PL season review and when Bolton got their first goal it was one of the few times Wenger looked genuinely furious at the defending to let Bolton back in the game, it was almost as if he knew what would end up happening.

Riou

...as good as we were, this shows the issue with us since the stadium move.

Last edited:

Riou

...just listened to Jack's and Woj's podcasts on the Arsenal website, posting a part of Jack's with Savage, but would recommend you listen to the ones on Arsenal.com.

Both speak with such love for the club, especially Wilshere, can tell they really care...miss character like that.

Highlights...

Wilshere talking about his son possibly being a player in the future..."He's a bit different from me, he's right footed and hopefully he will be the same height as a normal sized man when he grows up, unlike me" :rofl:

Szczesny on coming back to play for Arsenal in the future... "Get back in the Champions League first, then we can talk" cheeky **** :lol:

Might do Sagna's next...

Szczesny spoke on the disappointment in the league in 2014
Wilshere spoke on the disappointment in the league in 2011

...might aswell complete the hattrick and hear Bac talk about the disappointment in 2008!

Last edited:

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

...just listened to Jack's and Woj's podcasts on he Arsenal website, posting a part of Jack's with Savage, but would recommend you listen to the ones on Arsenal.com.

Both speak with such love for the club, especially Wilshere, can tell they really care...miss character like that.

Highlights...

Wilshere talking about his son possibly being a player in the future..."He's a bit different from me, he's right footed and hopefully he will be the same height as a normal sized man when he grows up, unlike me" :rofl:

Szczesny on coming back to play for Arsenal in the future... "Get back in the Champions League first, then we can talk" cheeky **** :lol:

Might do Sagna's next...

Szczesny spoke on the disappointment in the league in 2014
Wilshere spoke on the disappointment in the league in 2011

...might aswell complete the hattrick and hear Bac talk about the disappointment in 2008!
:lol: :rofl:

Latest posts+

Top Bottom