• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

When Was The Damage Done?

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
It has to be the KSE take over, and that was initially made possible by Lady Bracewell Smith selling her shares to him. So she is to blame, she gave him the power to eventually take full control. Its not their lack of investment, its their lack of football knowledge and understanding of the importance of key people. Gazidis onwards was a catastrophe, and so too the managers since Wenger. KSE are responsible for them all!

GDeep™

League is very weak
Cannot believe I am agreeing with HairSpray, but this times a hundred.

We waited too long for Wenger to leave and we have only slid down the table further sinAttach filesce.
What you mean “waited Wenger to leave”? Like he held the club ransom? He was given contracts. He wanted to leave after winking the FA cup and was asked to stay again by the club .
Since he left we haven’t hired any top manager or DoF either.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

As much as I love the man, Dein turned the eyes of the ravenous parasite Kroenke on to us, thereby sealing our fate in a loop of mediocrity.

My ultimate fear is not relegation. It's ending up like Everton of the nineties and early noughties, occasionally flirting with relegation but doing just enough to avoid it. Perpetually irrelevant save for making up the numbers and having an illustrious history to fall back on when all else fails on & off the pitch.

Iceman10

Established Member
As much as I love the man, Dein turned the eyes of the ravenous parasite Kroenke on to us, thereby sealing our fate in a loop of mediocrity.

My ultimate fear is not relegation. It's ending up like Everton of the nineties and early noughties, occasionally flirting with relegation but doing just enough to avoid it. Perpetually irrelevant save for making up the numbers and having an illustrious history to fall back on when all else fails on & off the pitch.
Sorry you feel that way, can see the reasoning behind it. Hope we can get out of this mess soon.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
The timing was never right for Klopp, during that 14-16 period it felt like we just needed a couple of signings. We didn’t need the rebuild we do now, no need for further Wenger slander.

Cech and Elneny, had we gone a level higher for either of these we’d have a league title. Failing that if we’d had a decent alternative to Giroud that wasn’t Welbeck we‘d have a league title.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
The timing was never quite right for us to get Klopp, tbh.

Arsène could have stepped aside after the cup wins in 2014 or 2015, but after he got us through the debt period of 2006-2013, he deserved to see if he could win another title now that we had some money again...wouldn't have been fair at either of those points, if we asked him to stand down imo.

2017 would have been a nice send off for him, but Klopp was taken at that point and the board had no plan anyway...so he stayed.

Iceman10

Established Member

Arsène could have stepped aside after the cup wins in 2014 or 2015, but after he got us through the debt period of 2006-2013, he deserved to see if he could win another title now that we had some money again...wouldn't have been fair at either of those points, if we asked him to stand down imo.

2017 would have been a nice send off for him, but Klopp was taken at that point and the board had no plan anyway...so he stayed.
I mostly agree with this. Not sure why many want to overlook we finished 5th even after a late season collapse the first season after Arsène Wenger, so it isn't as if he left the club in a terrible state. It was the summer after Emery's first season where real damage was done. The signings themselves might not look bad, but none of them were immediately useful while all clubs around us were upgrading with help of the new TV deal, including Leicester, Aston Villa, etc.

JayTV05

Agree with this. Given the financial limitations Wenger had to work with, whilst City, Chelsea and somewhat United had huge budgets to throw around, we have to realise top 4 was about as good as it would get.

After 2014 and 2015 we seemed to be building in momentum, and by Xmas of 2015/16 season we were top and title favourites. The wheels came off from there as we slumped. But that was arguably Wenger's first 'bad' season given the circumstances he had worked with. The end of 2016/17 would have been the right time, to end with on that FA cup win. But the board were clueless of where to go next.

The lack of contingency plan for Wenger was startling really. Imagine if prior to 2017 something occurred that meant Wenger had to leave in a flash, the club seemed to have no structure in place to deal with that. We've been messy in terms of the club hierarchy for years.

GoonerJay24

Again, for discussions like this they'd benefit from having an Arsenal fan in the room to remind them of a few simple facts, such as '13 league titles'. No doubt we've been poor in Europe, and last 20 years Chelsea have been better, they're closing the gap, another 20 years like this and they'll overtake us, I admit that. But until they approach 13 titles I don't see how they have the gumption to say they're bigger.

This is the problem. Arsenal fans lack pride and allow media outlets plus supporters from other clubs to dictate our narrative.

Things will change soon.

Top Bottom