• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Which player(s) do you think will benefit most playing under a new manager?

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
I think he'd actually do better starting off deeper and making more late runs. It's ironic but a bit more tactical discipline will probably see him score more goals and create more chances
There's deep and there's deep. Making late runs is one thing, getting sucked into being the last line of defence and bogged down in the middle of the park is another and it doesnt suit Ramsey imo. I dont think he knows what to do in that situation and that's why we used to see mainly sideways passes from the guy when he was played deeper in Wengers failed experiments with him there (this was a while ago). Its not his natural game and we've reached the stage with him imo that if his natural position/game is not good enough to get in the side further forward and combined with his contract situation then we should move him on and cash in. I think he is good enough, but then that creates a difficult scenario with Özil especially and Mkhi as well. I prefer Ramsey to Özil incidentally.
Anyway its all an overload of number 10/attacking midfield type midfielders that I have so hated under Wenger, our midfield personnel is very unbalanced towards that and it doesnt help anyone at the moment. I will be very very interested to see what Emery does with that position and the midfield in general with personnel.
You're right though re Ramsey, maybe tactical discipline and instruction would help with this but he is a forward looking player, his best football has been further forward for us and for Wales.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
There's deep and there's deep. Making late runs is one thing, getting sucked into being the last line of defence and bogged down in the middle of the park is another and it doesnt suit Ramsey imo. I dont think he knows what to do in that situation and that's why we used to see mainly sideways passes from the guy when he was played deeper in Wengers failed experiments with him there. Its not his natural game and we've reached the stage with him imo that if his natural position/game is not good enough to get in the side further forward and combined with his contract situation then we should move him on and cash in. I think he is good enough, but then that creates a difficult scenario with Özil especially and Mkhi as well. I prefer Ramsey to Özil incidentally.
Anyway its all an overload of number 10/attacking midfield type midfielders that I have so hated under Wenger, our midfield personnel is very unbalanced towards that and it doesnt help anyone at the moment. I will be very very interested to see what Emery does with that position and the midfield in general with personnel.
You're right though re Ramsey, maybe tactical discipline and instruction would help with this but he is a forward looking player, his best football has been further forward for us and for Wales.
I absolutely agree with most of this. The issue with Özil being you can't play him on the wing either, because his tracking back failing there can have horrendous consequences. I think Ramsey has the engine to go up and down the flank, and he would fail as a pure number 10.

If Emery goes 4-3-3, that would bring the best out of Ramsey imo. Özil on the flanks and forced to track back

Fallout

if he finds a way to play Özil central then him. i dont see why Özil cant mirror the role david silva plays for city. Özil is being wasted out wide atm ... so often at the periphery of games and doesnt have the pace to beat a man anymore.

shootxhakashoot

I absolutely agree with most of this. The issue with Özil being you can't play him on the wing either, because his tracking back failing there can have horrendous consequences. I think Ramsey has the engine to go up and down the flank, and he would fail as a pure number 10.

If Emery goes 4-3-3, that would bring the best out of Ramsey imo. Özil on the flanks and forced to track back
The player I would compare Ramsey to is Frank Lampard. Similar type of player with his coming in late and getting goals and also notoriously difficult to put into some systems with other players (see Englands trouble with him and Gerrard but Chelsea managed with him so it can work).
He needs to be the main man imo, legend has it thats the conclusion Emery has come to as well. He's all end product, hes a goal scorer, not really an assist merchant so the key is to keep him central and get him in those positions, that and his amazing stamina to get b2b. Putting Ramsey on the wing/putting Özil on the wing its all just a symptom of bad management and acquisition of personnel by Wenger, if it was up to him he would have had a team of no10s/attacking mids. Neither of them are naturally wide players, of course they could do a job but again its been tried with Ramsey and by doing these things you just unbalance the team imo. Suspect some hard choices will have to be made as you cant accommodate all these guys and keep a decent balance.
We shall see.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
The player I would compare Ramsey to is Frank Lampard. Similar type of player with his coming in late and getting goals and also notoriously difficult to put into some systems with other players (see Englands trouble with him and Gerrard but Chelsea managed with him so it can work).
He needs to be the main man imo, legend has it thats the conclusion Emery has come to as well. He's all end product, hes a goal scorer, not really an assist merchant so the key is to keep him central and get him in those positions, that and his amazing stamina to get b2b. Putting Ramsey on the wing/putting Özil on the wing its all just a symptom of bad management and acquisition of personnel by Wenger, if it was up to him he would have had a team of no10s/attacking mids. Neither of them are naturally wide players, of course they could do a job but again its been tried with Ramsey and by doing these things you just unbalance the team imo. Suspect some hard choices will have to be made as you cant accommodate all these guys and keep a decent balance.
We shall see.
I think Ramsey's first touch isn't good enough to play as a pure 10. As part of a 3 man midfield with him starting deeper and someone else orchestrating play around him from deep, he can definitely work, but not as a pure 10.

Iirc, we've looked very stodgy when he's played as a pure 10. He's a very good player coming in from deep, where he has the space but as a pure 10, when space is restricted, he's a shell of the player he can be.

I don't see Özil and him in the same team though. Wonder if we could rotate them.

shootxhakashoot

Got a feeling Mesut wont like this setup. I'm calling rumblings of discontent by November and gone next summer.
Me too, cant seeing him liking "work" or "discipline" too much either.
New contract was a bit of a joke and waste of money imo. Despite his many talents am not a fan and would have got rid instead of signing him up again.

shootxhakashoot

I think Ramsey's first touch isn't good enough to play as a pure 10. As part of a 3 man midfield with him starting deeper and someone else orchestrating play around him from deep, he can definitely work, but not as a pure 10.

Iirc, we've looked very stodgy when he's played as a pure 10. He's a very good player coming in from deep, where he has the space but as a pure 10, when space is restricted, he's a shell of the player he can be.

I don't see Özil and him in the same team though. Wonder if we could rotate them.
I agree hes best arriving in the box the way you say.
The way I see it you need a proper DM, Ramsey and either a number 10 OR a DLP supposedly like Xhaka (Im not convinced he is the answer even in that position) in a midfield 3, if we are going 4-3-3 which is likely. Or go with a midfield 4 in a diamond and Laca and Auba up top.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
I agree hes best arriving in the box the way you say.
The way I see it you need a proper DM, Ramsey and either a number 10 OR a DLP supposedly like Xhaka (Im not convinced he is the answer even in that position) in a midfield 3, if we are going 4-3-3 which is likely. Or go with a midfield 4 in a diamond and Laca and Auba up top.
Not like Xhaka, imo, like Wilshere, but obviously better. Wilshere has that quick turn and then can release Ramsey quickly in space. Xhaka usually releases the ball quickly out wide.

shootxhakashoot

Not like Xhaka, imo, like Wilshere, but obviously better. Wilshere has that quick turn and then can release Ramsey quickly in space. Xhaka usually releases the ball quickly out wide.
yep which doesnt work because we dont have any wingers with Xhaka, strange all these square pegs in round holes in our team eh?!
Will be great to see how it works out, the team isnt short on talent, its balance thats the problem and playing to peoples strengths.

GDeep™

League is very weak
AMN is a talented young player who was progressing under Wenger nicely, that will continue under Emery.

Rather than players improving, I think we’ll see player being helped. Strict roles and systems will be implemented by Emery that will deliver more consistent displays.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I'm not sure but I choose Ramsey and Bellerin. Ramsey with strict instructions can be better if he is mentally attuned and Bellerin has all the attributes to be world class if rotated and encouraged. Iwobi is my third choice. Some tweaking of all the other first teamers might get a extra gear out of them but I've written off Mustafi and Wilshere.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Those who favour entertainment over winning are not fans they are children

Who said anything about favouring entertainment over winning? Do you have the reading ability of a child? If so read it again, you need practice!

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Football is not about winning though. If we all fell in love with football because it’s about winning then we would all be Utd fans today.
It'd be different if this was a Walsall message board lad. Arsenal have been a top side since the 30's and have always demanded success. That's what the club will lead you to believe we're striving for, and we have always been in an advantageous position to achieve that over most other clubs, so we should expect it from time to time. Nothing wrong with that.

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name
Football is not about winning though. If we all fell in love with football because it’s about winning then we would all be Utd fans today.
Think it's not just the style, nor just the trophies. Under Wenger at least, and that's all I'm old enough to have seen, we've played beautiful football that is also winning football

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

You'd think that we'll hopefully be better organised defensively. Far too often we've sent both fullbacks bombing forward, leaving our CBs isolated.

Sammy1887

New Year, Same Hate For Reed
Got a feeling Mesut wont like this setup. I'm calling rumblings of discontent by November and gone next summer.

Have the same exact feeling. Believe Unai won't accept the regular sickies Özil throws and ends up in Istanbul with the Gf or some random club. Wenger and his shield are no loner here for Özil.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom