• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Which players from other prem clubs would get in our team?

thegame24

Established Member
i dont know how anyone could keep Kolo , Van nis, giggs and scholes out.

i also realised there are so many average centerbacks in the prem. i picked gallas but even he is overrated.

Piston Broke

Andrew said:
That is why Niemi is the best IMO.

But it's not soley down to the goalkeeper. But if you want to go on goal conceeded stats.

Last season goals against:

Man Utd - 34
Arsenal - 42
Chelsea - 38

Now, if your theory is correct about goals conceeded, then this shows that Jens has been the best goalkeeper seeing how he has almost evened up the goals against stat. But goals conceeded isn't solely due to the goalkeeper. I can't recall any of those 12 goals conceeded this season as being Jens' fault. But both Howard and Cudicini have had one goal conceeded which were there fault. Howard against Southampton, and Cudicini vs. us. Whereas Jens has saved everything which can possibly be saved.

What I am saying is that Man Utd's defence was already good before Howard came. But Arsenal's defence has improved significantly with the arrival of Jens and the brilliant form of Toure.

I understand your point but you just prove me right in the last 5 or so games that i could check the stats on

Manure 58 shots Against

Arsenal 38 Shots Against

Now we can take this two ways
1. A good keeper organizes his defence better (lehman wins)
2. Goals per shots ratio (howard is even better than we thought )

All i'm saying is he is a good keeper just cause he plays for manure we shouldn't forget that

Piston Broke

Also will you all stop going on about Niemi

Paul Jones played the first seven EPL games for southampton & only Conceeded 4 Goals

thegame24

Established Member
piston good point, however, man u defend far more than arsenal do. they defend in two lots of 4 wheras we just defend with the back four most of the time. this means all those shots against man u are mostly long range thus easier to save, look at lehmann this season hes done more team saving saves than howard. im not doubting howard though TBH i forget he was a choice but i would take lehmann for now but howard WILL be better than Jens as he is still very young for a keeper.

Asterix

Established Member
No-one's mentioned Mark Schwarzer - great keeper, and England could only get one past him earlier in the year I seem to recall :D

Sorry, couldn't resist. Scholes would be a great addition to our midfield even though I hate him and he's a nasty little cat. Shearer is absolute class, as is Crespo. Kewell's amazing on his day but not always consistent enough in the "smaller" games.

Andrew

Piston Broke said:
Also will you all stop going on about Niemi

Paul Jones played the first seven EPL games for southampton & only Conceeded 4 Goals

If you want to go on stats then that's fine. But I've seen Niemi play this season a fair bit and he has made some outstanding saves. He's won a lot of points for Southampton and hasn't made any blunders I can recall. If you had seen some of his performances then you would know what I am talking about. IMO he is quite easily the best in the league at the moment. And there is no reason for me to show any bias towards Niemi. I'm not a Southampton supporter, I'm not Finnish... I just think he's the best and that's it.

And anyway, conceeding 8 goals in 10 matches is still a decent effort. Especially considering any other goalkeeper probably would have conceeded double that amount in his situation.

A

Anonymous

The obvious one for me would be RvN to partner Henry.

Either one of Keane / Scholes / Gerrard to partner Vieira in midfield.

A

Anonymous

Andrew said:
ruud said:
Andrew said:
And there's no way Howard is the best in the Premiership... definitely not "by far". He's lucky if he's in the top five!

:roll: he is by far one of the best in the EPL right now along with Cudicini,Jeskalinen(spl),Kirkland..

You see, that's where you are wrong. None of those goalkeepers have performed as well as Niemi this season. Do you really think Cudicini is one of the best at the moment? And Kirkland after and handful of games? Jussi I think is one of the best, but has made blunders as well. And Howard? If he would have collected the corner against Southampton properly then you wouldn't have lost that match. Beattie had a free header from point blank range. Name a goal conceeded in the Premier League that was Lehmann's fault?

This is IMO the top 10 based on this seasons league performances:

1. Niemi
2. Taylor
3. Jens
4. Jaaskalinen
5. Howard
6. Given
7. Kiley
8. Van Der Saar
9. Cudicini
10. Kirkland (based on the few games he played)

exactly..but then again why not compare Lehmann's earlier blunders?!like 2 seasons ago I remember him making a mess of a really slow shot which went thru his legs(sorry guys don't really remember the match ) but does that mean that he's not one of te best keepers..indeed he is..every goalies has made mistakes,but they eventually learn from it..And since the Beattie goal Howard looks Brilliant .and to be frank an extremely under-rated keeper in the League at the moment who doesn't play much is Macho..always has been brilliant

The Mini

Better to go 4-3-3:

Cuducini

Toure
Sol
Terry
Cole

Pires
Vieira
Duff

Henry
Van Ooosomelovelyrollablegrasstodiveon
Mutu

Andrew

ruud said:
Andrew said:
ruud said:
Andrew said:
And there's no way Howard is the best in the Premiership... definitely not "by far". He's lucky if he's in the top five!

:roll: he is by far one of the best in the EPL right now along with Cudicini,Jeskalinen(spl),Kirkland..

You see, that's where you are wrong. None of those goalkeepers have performed as well as Niemi this season. Do you really think Cudicini is one of the best at the moment? And Kirkland after and handful of games? Jussi I think is one of the best, but has made blunders as well. And Howard? If he would have collected the corner against Southampton properly then you wouldn't have lost that match. Beattie had a free header from point blank range. Name a goal conceeded in the Premier League that was Lehmann's fault?

This is IMO the top 10 based on this seasons league performances:

1. Niemi
2. Taylor
3. Jens
4. Jaaskalinen
5. Howard
6. Given
7. Kiley
8. Van Der Saar
9. Cudicini
10. Kirkland (based on the few games he played)

exactly..but then again why not compare Lehmann's earlier blunders?!like 2 seasons ago I remember him making a mess of a really slow shot which went thru his legs(sorry guys don't really remember the match ) but does that mean that he's not one of te best keepers..indeed he is..every goalies has made mistakes,but they eventually learn from it..And since the Beattie goal Howard looks Brilliant .and to be frank an extremely under-rated keeper in the League at the moment who doesn't play much is Macho..always has been brilliant

Talking about the Premier League here. And yes, every goalkeeper does make mistakes. Lehmann has made a few in the Champions League this year. In the CL Howard has been a better goalkeeper than Lehmann, but in the Premier League I think Lehmann has been better. That's all I'm trying to say.

And I agree with you about Macho. Whenever I've seen him play he's done excellently. Is he at Chelsea now? If so I think that's a waste. He could at least get a start at one Premier League club IMO.

Superdudes

Lehmann
Riise Campbell Toure Johnson
Viera
Duff Giggs Pires
Henry Owen
if this is fantasy soccer.. :p this team wil be excellent.. defence strong.. creativity from the midfield.. and pace and power from the attck.. though if Arsène just have enough for one prem player, i'll settle for scott parker.. he should be betta than gilberto..

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
I think Niemi is a brilliant goalkeeper. Arsenal and Manure were allegedly interested in signing him before he joined Southampton.

A

Anonymous

yes..i think Macho's at Chelsea..and correct me if I'm wrong but i also think he's out with a long term injury..not too sure

Andrew

ruud said:
yes..i think Macho's at Chelsea..and correct me if I'm wrong but i also think he's out with a long term injury..not too sure

Chelsea have so many proven goalkeepers that he'll never get a chance. They have Sullivan and that other Italian guy. How many more do they need? :?

Superdudes

with chelski losing and conceding 4 goals.. i think they'll buy at least 5 more keepers.. :p let's see.. barthez.. kirkland.. buffon.. toldo.. kahn.. :p

Top Bottom