• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Who had the better season? Arsenal or Man Utd.

Who had the better season Arsenal or Man Utd?

• Arsenal

Votes: 59 84.3%
  • United

Votes: 11 15.7%

• Total voters

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
As Arsenal fans we tend to focus more on our negative performances / results. Man Utd generally performed poorer and got worse results than us across the season. I don't see how that can be argued tbh.

The League Cup is tinpot stuff, it should barely register as a trophy for the top 5-6 clubs tbh. It's way off the prestige of even the FA Cup, which itself has declined dramatically in importance over the past decade or two.

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
After the year we looked like champions, then lost in the Carabao Cup final and our season crumbled after I've never looked at that tournament the same.

Other than that, I can see it from both sides, this was their first seaons with Ten Hag, so big improvements from them, meanwhile we got close to doing something very unexpected. Had we not been pathetic in cups this year I'd say it wasn't even close.

We crumbled another year in a row though (yes, we did), which is a worry. Last year only really the Prem to focus on, and this year for most of the season the same. Yet we are mentally and physically tanked just before the final run in.
That is something Arteta needs to manage next year with Champions League football in addition.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
The League Cup is tinpot stuff, it should barely register as a trophy for the top 5-6 clubs tbh. It's way off the prestige of even the FA Cup, which itself has declined dramatically in importance over the past decade or two.

The best thing about the League Cup for me was/is genuinely an opportunity to get to see youngsters get a go at real football, which obviously speaks to how little it matters when clubs are fielding academy lads until you get to the semis/play a rival.

Even as a West Ham fan I wouldn't give a **** if we won it. That obviously doesn't mean I wouldn't want us to win it if we got to the final, but I have never felt annoyed by getting knocked out of that thing. It's closer to a reserve team cup than a proper trophy.

Means even less now when you have something like the Conference League, which is tinpot in terms of European competition of course but it at least gives you the opportunity to watch your team play against similarly ranked opposition from other leagues in Europe once you reach the latter stages, which to me is much more interesting as a fan of a club that has rarely been in Europe.

Heskey

🌑 🌘🌗🌖🌕🌔🌓🌒
Trusted ⭐
It does matter, if we had something to play for I don’t think we’d have dropped off in those two games.

We go out and win against Brighton and we're 2pts behind against City who also have an FA Cup final and Champions League final to worry about.

If we seriously had given up at that point then we should just burn the club down now tbh.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
I think it depends on what we do next season tbh.

The **** finished second twice in recent seasons but completely fell off. If we go on to win the league next year, then I'd say us.

If in five years time and we haven't kicked off, United. But I'm amused at how United fans downplayed our FA cup wins but now the Carling Cup is a huge accomplishment

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Both average seasons imo, so it’s a toss up.
How can us finishing at our highest point total in decades be an average season? We also played some fantastic football this year. We had just one loss and one draw more than City and many are praising them as the best PL team ever. Not sure if average is the word you should use.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Don't understand why many here are so keen to **** on our season after we have finished 2nd and on 84 points, following this great run of seasons: 5th, 6th, 5th, 8th, 8th and 5th, with 75 points being easily the highest point total in that run. :facepalm: Get a grip lads! 💯

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

How can us finishing at our highest point total in decades be an average season? We also played some fantastic football this year. We had just one loss and one draw more than City and many are praising them as the best PL team ever. Not sure if average is the word you should use.

Firstly, I already said it in another thread but this City side aren’t the best PL team ever, the media can run with that narrative but it won’t be fooling me. Good team but nothing like their previous seasons imo.

I think the collapse at the end has a big part to play in why I labelled it as an average season. We can all try and put a positive spin on it but to drop off in that manner and pretty much give up towards the end is why my assessment is slightly more harsh.

Had we won the Europa League and scraped top 4 this season, for example then I’d class that as a much better season overall considering our European achievements as a club haven’t been great.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Firstly, I already said it in another thread but this City side aren’t the best PL team ever, the media can run with that narrative but it won’t be fooling me. Good team but nothing like their previous seasons imo.

I think the collapse at the end has a big part to play in why I labelled it as an average season. We can all try and put a positive spin on it but to drop off in that manner and pretty much give up towards the end is why my assessment is slightly more harsh.

Had we won the Europa League and scraped top 4 this season, for example then I’d class that as a much better season overall considering our European achievements as a club haven’t been great.
Think we have to agree to disagree. Winning the FA Cup is nice but it doesn't beat having a proper PL title challenge and almost winning it. This to me is a good season. Plus we did not fluke results during our run. We played teams of the pitch for long stretches. I am fairly convinced, that if Saliba hadn't got injured, we would have won the league. No, this was a good season. Calling it average is just incorrect.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

Think we have to agree to disagree. Winning the FA Cup is nice but it doesn't beat having a proper PL title challenge and almost winning it. This to me is a good season. Plus we did not fluke results during our run. We played teams of the pitch for long stretches. I am fairly convinced, that if Saliba hadn't got injured, we would have won the league. No, this was a good season. Calling it average is just incorrect.

Not sure who said that?

Winning a cup in general is what football is about, I didn’t even put the Carabao Cup in there but winning the Europa League or FA Cup + top 4 would have been nice. I know a lot on here won’t settle for just a “title challenge” next season, we have to start winning things with the amount of investment we’ve been doing recently.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

If it required perfection to beat City to the title we’re we ever really that close to winning it or warming their seat?

I’ve seen Utd and Sp**s finish 2nd in recent times and watch it amount to nothing in the end, so I dunno if it really means what people are saying.

amigo

I think the excellent first half season we had is what gives us so much hope. We know we were going at 100 point season pace which was crazy! We fell off a bit but largely due to a massive double injury that wrecked our spine. Its not fanciful to think we could have won the league with Saliba fit, we were on course. Yes things got derailed but it was still fairly close. United were never really in the title race. If they had got the FA cup as well or even instead of Carabao it would have tipped the scales. I still think we had the better season and would not exchange what we had for what United had despite the empty trophy cabinet especially if you factor in a Sp**s or Chelsea 7-0 thrashing we would have to take with it.

sdotzdot

Established Member
This wasn’t just finishing the season 2nd, this was the reawakening of a special arsenal who are going to compete on all fronts.

Some of the opinions on this forum has no real reflection of actual arsenal fans I know, you can tell the whole atmosphere has changed from top to bottom and we’re finally shortly going to be reaping our rewards.

Some posters on here won’t be posting much over the next 3-4 years, only when we lose really. Their whole existence is around being able to moan.

amigo

Fought and lost in maybe most humiliating fashion possible. So what? The proper mentality for 2nd place is me; angry as hell and ready to do whatever it takes to be first next time, not sitting back and enjoying your runner’s up medal. You know what the Arsenal players should do they should wear the medal in front of the mirror and curse themselves and punch themselves hard in the face yelling never again. That is what i would tell them to do not play hide and goddamn seek at work
Actually you don't even get a medal for being runner up in the league... I think the genuine title challenge means more than 2nd place.

Entropics

Established Member

Player:Saka
They achieved in one season what we had to wait 3 years to get, it's quite obvious who had the better season.

2 Finals, winning the best match this season had to offer against Barca in the EL, proving themselves actually capable of beating City even if they got humbled in the reverse fixture. All of that with a weird team, with clearly some unfitting pieces like Maguire or Martial, a legend player stirring up drama until November and with a banter striker in Weghorst to boot.

Still not sure how much of it is just being free of Ed Woodward instead of anything football related, but things look brighter for them now that for the first time in years they have a functional midfield and will probably let the manager improve the obvious gaps in the squad.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Not sure who said that?

Winning a cup in general is what football is about, I didn’t even put the Carabao Cup in there but winning the Europa League or FA Cup + top 4 would have been nice. I know a lot on here won’t settle for just a “title challenge” next season, we have to start winning things with the amount of investment we’ve been doing recently.
On the two bolded parts above:

It is just a statement I made. A matter of fact showing how good our season was in my view. Remember we are debating if our season was average (your POV) or good (my POV).

If we have an equally good title challenge next season, but fall just short again and without winning any cup I am fine. I really want us to have a shot at winning the PL and the CL. Those are the big trophies we have been too far away from for too long. I'd take this any day over scraping into top 4 and winning the FA Cup. I said that when Wenger was in charge and I say it now. I want our club to compete for the major trophies.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Obviously us. If you want only to aspire to little trinkets like a Carabao Cup against Karius then celebrate United's season. The United supporters who were calling that a nothing tournament when City were winning it every year can contort themselves into whatever pathetic, hypocritical shape they want. If that's all you get for 200m in a summer at Utd and you never seriously challenge for a title then your season was a failure. I would rather look like I'm in the realm of winning the big trophies than not look remotely like it but win the least prestigious trophy on offer. If you're a club like Utd, a league cup should never ever satisfy you.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
Both clubs got good transition seasons, but nothing to write about overall.
Arsenal fans bragging about finishing 10 points below Man City in the weakest PL season in ages is proper tinpot stuff though.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Overall Arsenal were a better team than Utd this season, despite the pretty embarrassing end of season collapse.

Utd just have a strange stranglehold on some people, I’ve already seen people confidently predict Utd will finish above Arsenal next season, which I don’t really agree with. Tbf if they sign Kane then they will probably finish above us.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom