• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Who is actually comming to Arsenal?

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 99
  • Views 5,323
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andrew

lewdikris said:
Can i just remind everyone we probably need to buy someone not cup-tied. Which rules out Kluivert, Eto'o. Kezman, and everyone else so far named....

Good point. That rules a lot of strikers. And the main reason we want another striker is for the Champions League. So what about Rivaldo then? He hasn't played for Milan yet has he?

So let's try and think... Smith, Defoe and Vassel are the realistic English targets IMO. Maybe Viduka (doubt it though) or Beattie (even more unlikely), but apart from that I can't think of much else. It has to be some unknown striker and we just have to hope that Wenger weaves his magic.

johe

Andrew said:
lewdikris said:
Can i just remind everyone we probably need to buy someone not cup-tied. Which rules out Kluivert, Eto'o. Kezman, and everyone else so far named....

Good point. That rules a lot of strikers. And the main reason we want another striker is for the Champions League. So what about Rivaldo then? He hasn't played for Milan yet has he?

So let's try and think... Smith, Defoe and Vassel are the realistic English targets IMO. Maybe Viduka (doubt it though) or Beattie (even more unlikely), but apart from that I can't think of much else. It has to be some unknown striker and we just have to hope that Wenger weaves his magic.
I thought CL and UEFA Cup are separate concerning cup-ties?

Adam

Established Member
Either a potential world class unknown, a youngster, or a very good player playing in an average team.

Ridge

if we buy Kluivert let him play in the EPL, Henry maybe could get some rest in the league then he can play good in europe. :angel

Andrew

Arjan said:
Kezman should be available for around 14 million euro's, that's 8 mil GBP.
good buy IMO

I agree. But if we are going to buy someone who's cup-tied we should save it 'till the end of the season. By then we should have at least one or two strikers off our books who would pave the way for someone of his calibre. But at the moment our strikers are good enough to beat some of the ordinary defences in the Premier League.

Arjan

I agree Andrew, but PSV need the cash, because they did not qualify for the next round of the CL.

So buying him now could see him arriving here cheaper then buying in the summer when PSV will probably have qualified for next years CL and they don't want to sell

JGooner

If we're talking non-cup tied players, then Smith is our man. But Wenger says the signing will probably not be from the domestic league.

flotz

what about yakubu aygabiny from posrtsmouth?!
i remember him from macabi haifa and he's great and i think he's the type of player we need
i think in the tranfer window we need to buy yaya toure and reyes or e'too or another striker

A

Anonymous

WE need to step another level and look for the future to help out Henry, not just for the Cl.

We need someone in the mould of kluvert, Trezeguet , kezman, RVN & Mackaay, not english trash like smith, etc

We already have too much baggage in kanu, Jeffers and need to step up

If Wenger does not get someone in the mould of players i mentioned , then continue dreaming because we will never win the CL .

United continue to improve and playing good. Chelsea will continue to buy, and Arsenal will be win Liverpool & Newcastle fighting for the scraps :evil:

A.Hussain

with toure being able to play in both positions of cb and rb, i feel that we will see the last of volz unfortunately. maybe wenger will offer leeds both volz and pennant in for smith... it will be interesting to watch who wenger has in mind. smith is young, good, versatile, has CL experience and EPL experience....

patrick42uk

Established Member
smith will be a step backwards for arsenal. how any arsenal fan can entertain the idea of signing a striker who has scored 7 goals in two seasons is beyond me. wiltord scores double that in a season, yet some people prefer smith over him. where is the logic in that? if we want a player who can tackle (just about), i suggest we sign a defender!

JGooner

smith's strike rate is only poor because he is in a crap team and is forced to play deep to make up for its deficiencies. he is now officially playing in midfield, for chrissakes. there is nothing wrong with his finishing at all, at arsenal, he would surrounded by good players and be allowed to be the main forward (henry doing the creative work behind him). he would be on the end of the chances we create. he is also a superb ball player - far more technically skilled than Owen, for example. His intelligence is also a major asset. He is the opposite of wilturd in this respect. You won't see any stupid 360 degree spins or dead end runs from Smith, like you get from Sylvia Witless.

henry 14 - the "english trash" Alan Smith has played in a CL semi final (along with his english trash teammates - woodgate, ferdinand, bowyer, etc), which is more than can be said of our french players. The only English team to have won the CL was full of "english trash" players like beckham, sheringham, the nevilles, scholes, butt, etc. You mention Chelsea's signings without acknowledging that many of them are english - johnson, bridge, cole, plus lampard who they signed previously.

A.Hussain

kluivert is a dead log, just like kanu. trust me he wont be able to withstand the premiership rigours. he also has his own personal issues when it comes to off pitch. if we go for alan smith, leeds might be tempted to cash in on defoe.... pieces of the puzzle??? lets hope so....

A.Hussain

ok before people start skinning me, kanu is good, great of recent days for us but we cannot rely on a striker for solely cameo roles for long...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom