• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Who is behind Mad Jens?

Pat's missing Gerbil

patrick42uk said:
IMO the most lehmann will have is a season. He hasnt convinced me at all. In the majority of his games, he flaps at corners and crosses. The saves he has made have been average at best, routine for any keeper. Taylor fills me with more confidence. Anytime he comes in he has always impressed. In fact i cannot recall any glaring mistakes by him, which is unusual for a keeper. The test for him would be to show he is capable over a long period. I'm convinced at any other premiership club, he'd be challenging james kirkland and robinson for a spot in the england team. I hope wenger is brave enough next season to make taylor number 1.
i disagree with you mate. Jens is doing well coming into a club where he is number one and had a completely different technique to the established goal keeping regimen. He is a technically gifted keeper and works very hard. He has been caught making one serious error of judgement when he slipped. I am happy with him. He has heart. He wants it and is incredibley professional........and those warm ups! You could read the Karma sutra standing on your head in zero gravity and not see such positions..........its just not human.. No old geezer is meant to do that to himself unless escaping from a barrel over niagra falls

AFCG7

Established Member
Stack looks quite solid to me.. he is more agressive than Taylor and i think if Jens wasnt able to keep Stack would get in ahead of Taylor..for the time being at least

Mark

Established Member
i just want to say that i think lehmann's great. i think he's really responsible for the way the defence has performed this season. it is so much better than last season and i think that's because he has a great command of his area. if he was injured though, i think we'd be okay. taylor was really good last season and stack looked impressive against west brom. i don't really know if shabaan has a future at this club. he was good last season but taylor and stack are younger and are long term goalkeepers at this club.

XxGoonaStuxX

Your right, compare our defence to last season. Lehmann and Toure really have be rocks.
Comparing our defence of now to then really rally does show improvement by a helluva lot.

A.Hussain

i also feel that stackie is a bit more aggressive than taylor. check out his dives at players feet. its like hes hungry for drumsticks..:) :D

Exiled In Newcastle

Established Member
Lehmann is number 1 and has done superbly this season. He's so different to Seaman that it takes some getting used to after so many years, but he's top notch.

Now the number 2. I think Rami had a chance to go for it last season, but was unfortunately injured last term and his chance is gone. Fair play to him, I was impressed by him when he came in, but unfortunately I think it's too late for him.

Taylor is the number 2. He has been injured most of this term which is why Stack has been on the bench so much. But I have every faith that Taz is good enough to take over as our number 1 for a long long time.

Stack, he's number 3 now. A superb technical keeper and brave (but to be fair so is Taz) and as we saw in a Beveren match last year, he can give it out! The one worry I have about him is that he's just so damn tiny for a keeper. Whilst there are some around, it's that much harder for a small keeper to make it big (ouch - sorry). But good enough to deserve being considered.

Rami, sadly for him, is 4th choice when everyones fit. I honestly feel his chance has gone and he's making up the numbers now, rather than being part of the future.

Andrew

patrick42uk said:
IMO the most lehmann will have is a season. He hasnt convinced me at all. In the majority of his games, he flaps at corners and crosses. The saves he has made have been average at best, routine for any keeper. Taylor fills me with more confidence. Anytime he comes in he has always impressed. In fact i cannot recall any glaring mistakes by him, which is unusual for a keeper. The test for him would be to show he is capable over a long period. I'm convinced at any other premiership club, he'd be challenging james kirkland and robinson for a spot in the england team. I hope wenger is brave enough next season to make taylor number 1.

Is that why Lehmann got into Soccernet's team of the week? If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have drawn against Blackburn, let alone win.

One thing for example you might not notice with Lehmann is that his handling is second to none. He holds everything. And this limits the opportunities that poachers have. He did this with Blackburn. Not only was his save against Ferguson a fine stop, but he did really well not to parry it away to several blackburn players who were ready to pounce. He also claimed every cross with authority.

I believe Taylor will be our future goalkeeper. He is similar in height and build to Lehmann and I think Wenger prefers the bigger, taller goalkeepers. And the thing with Lehmann (and Taylor) is that they make saves look easy whereas smaller goalkeeper like Barthez make them look spectacular.

Sammer

Established Member
Interesting point Andrew about smaller keepers looking more spectacular - i noticed that with many keepers.
The Lehmann-Tayler-vanderSaar-Type looks just different.

I personally agree with what "XxgoonastuxX". Lehmann is (besides Toure) one of the main reasons, why our defense has improved dramatically this season.

With every game, the understanding gets better and he looks even more commanding. Taking into account, that Lehmann had to adjust from a complete different style of football (Bundesliga vs. EPL) and to overcome a language barrier, he has settled in very well.

Plus: he just loves playing for Arsenal - its sort of like a dream coming true for him to play here - at least thats what he always says on german TV.

Taylor will be the perfect successor of Lehmann, once he retires. Same type of goalkeeper - same style. With Lehmann being able to pass experience on to Stuart, Arsenal will have not have to worry about keepers for many years.

Anders Limpar

Lehman is a great asset to an unexperienced Arsenal defense! In the beginning I think he had some problems communicate with the back four because of language difficulties but that seems to be gone now!

And he got plenty of experience and knowledge from international football which will only benefit Taylor and Stack. You don't only need to be good keeper, you need the authoriy to control the entire defensive work and develop it further...

...Lehman is therefore vital for Arsenal and especially the youngsters!

But I can see one problem occur after this season if Lehman is still number one, and that is the case of having four good keepers who all need match practise. If Shabaan wants he'll be the trusted back-up for years as either Stack or Taylor push for the number 1 jersey. But Wenger needs to let one of them go because they can't both make it at Arsenal and they are both much to talented to be bench riders...

...suddenly Taylor is not the obvious succesor of Seaman, all of a sudden he needs to fight for his place in the squad. Is he up for the challenge??? His tendency to get injured speaks against him...

Alexone234

Taylor is no2. He has never let us down, and there is no reason he has lost his position.

Its like our defensive problems really. One minute we have no keeper, then we have Four.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom