• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Why are we so poor defensively?

number_0

Established Member
We are arrogant in our defending, the basic principle in defending is numbers in the back, having as many players behind the ball as possible when the opposition has the ball.

Our midfield has become relient on waiting for someone to win the ball, rather than getting stuck in themselves, you see that with denilson, theo, nasri and diaby who just looks passivly as players go past them.

A good example is yoonighted, they have 10 players behind the balls, even the useless ones like ronaldo and nani, just by being there they make a difference, they never make any sliding tackles or charge at players.

united with a back 4 of rafael-vidic-evans-Oshea still grinded results and had a run of clean sheets in the past few games, our current back 4 is better than that, why cant we do that?

Buying is not the answer imo.

General

Established Member
I'd say ignorance also. And you are right in the passive attitude our midfield often show towards defending. These brats just gallivant around in the hope that someone else picks up the task. We would be in a far better place by now had we taken on board the simple things and the basic fundamental rules to defending. The little disparity in points between the top six means goal difference is bound to play a huge role this season. It's a big danger and Wenger (defensive coaches if any) need to get their bloody act together.

kamikaze80

Established Member
general, i've been agreeing with you a lot lately and you're spot on again. we have almost the exact same goal differential as villa right now - we need to shape up in case it comes down to that. as for united's injury list, it could be the break that we need. it happens to coincide with an easy run of fixtures for us, so if we capitalise, it can have a psychological effect on the others.

i'm not getting my hopes up, though, i've been disappointed by this lot too many times before to have faith in the likes of denilson, song, etc. it's an awful lot to ask van persie to carry this team by himself. he needs help.

Biggus

Established Member
kamikaze80 said:
general, i've been agreeing with you a lot lately and you're spot on again. we have almost the exact same goal differential as villa right now - we need to shape up in case it comes down to that. as for united's injury list, it could be the break that we need. it happens to coincide with an easy run of fixtures for us, so if we capitalise, it can have a psychological effect on the others.

i'm not getting my hopes up, though, i've been disappointed by this lot too many times before to have faith in the likes of denilson, song, etc. it's an awful lot to ask van persie to carry this team by himself. he needs help.

Kami, even if we can string a few good results together- we'll blow it just like year, because this year we've even less experience and self belief.
Psychologically we're made of glass.

kamikaze80

Established Member
yep, i said in the CL thread that this is the most naive wenger team of all time. even if united fall apart (which i doubt), i'd think liverpool or chelsea would be better placed to take advantage than us. but i cant say that we couldnt sneak 2nd or 3rd with some luck. we could also easily finish 5th. it's a tossup.

Biggus

Established Member
You're not wrong- this season the gap between 3rd & 5th might be as little as a couple of points!

Arsenal Quotes

There's a minute on the clock left for Arenal. Brady for Arsenal.... right across, Sunderland... IT'S THERE! I do not believe it, I SWEAR I do not believe it!

Peter Jones on the goal against United in the 79 cup final

Latest posts

Top Bottom