• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Why the team faltered towards the end

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Few reasons why the team faltered towards the end

1)Not enough depth
2)Luck
3)Refs
4)Wenger

Long Time Gooner

One thing that did seem to change in the later stages of the season was the togetherness of the squad.

For the opening fixtures all was sweetness and light. Many reports emerged about how the team had come together and grown having had the 'intimidating shadow' of Thierry's presence removed. It was all just one big happy family.

Pretty well since the Ade and Nicklas bust up stories have emerged about in-fighting and rows. These have escalated as the season has progressed. The reports on Senderos and Gallas are disturbing.

Now which cause which can be questioned. It may be that whilst the side is winning then all are happy (although Lehmann and Diarra would suggest not). Are the increasing rows a consquence of failure to win, or do they in some way add to it.

Ade's failure to lay one on a plate for Nicklas in the Brum game comes to mind here.

arsenalfc0719

Established Member
1 - Bad luck.
2 - Injuries.
3 - Almunia.
4 - Lack of quality back-up on the wings.
5 - Immaturity.
6 - Our shaky and unreliable defense.
7 - Individual mistakes made by both Wenger and the players.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
lee1001 said:
I like to think/hope that Wenger wanted to see which fringe players were ready to make a difference and this season has shown which players can be relied on and will reinforce accordingly.
This is the conclusion that I have come to as well.

Anzac

Established Member
I agree that may have been the intention at the begining of the season, but the plan would have been torn up as soon as our injury list mounted and players like Diaby & Eboue became regular starters. We didn't get to see too much of the likes of Djourou, Denilson or Song either.

banduan

Established Member
We faltered because:

1. Edu
2. Refs
3. Goals on a plate not being taken, and goals not on a plate not even attempted. Ade, RVP, Hleb, Flamini and Cesc all share much of the blame.
4. Seriously panicky defence which Gallas is not organising well enough (Seriously, why is Hleb organising our defence?).

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
1. injuries
2. a series of refs' wrongful decisions against us (still can't excuse some of the one-shot-one-goal situations)
3. defense problem (naivity, opponents' one-shot-one-goal, lapse of concentration)
4. Gallas
5. Wenger's handling on the players' psychology and lack of tactical adjustments in the window of Wigan, Villa, and Boro games. A win in San Siro should be a force to keep the momentum, not an excuse to draw before and after the 2nd leg.

The flashabck since Feburary is like a nightmare. The fact that the recent run is the worst one under Wenger says it all. What still upsets me is how hapless Wenger dealt with the rotting defending. Two month on and no improvement whatsever.

TBH I am quite fed up with this lapse of concetration stuff. Last season the team suffered a patch of this problem, this season the same problem came back haunting at this crucial stage of the season. I don't believe it's the quality of the players that caused the lingering defense problem. It's the way the defense is prepared. I can't see the team to win the title given the preparation. This time is worse than early last season, where Wenger had the excuse the team just moving to new home.

Anzac

Established Member
Can't do much about the first 2;
we need to strengthen our attack;
what about we get another forceful 'keeper like Jens to keep the defence honest????

Arsenal Quotes

There is no chance of Sol ever leaving for Arsenal. He is a Spurs fan and there is not a hope in hell of him playing in an Arsenal shirt.

David Buchler, Tottenham Vice-Chairman, 2001

Latest posts

Top Bottom