• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Carvalho

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
if this all true it's mean Wenger want to sign a defensive midfielder and i will be happy if we end up one of Carvalho Khedira Bender Schneiderlin.

Enfield

Established Member
If this guy os the best out there then we should go for him, and tbh if sporting are playing hard ball then we should pay the fee. Unless of course its completely ridiculous

If khedira is an inferior player but 20mil cheaper then we should go for this guy. Let khedira play somewhere else and not give us headaches 2/3 times a year.

We are attracting top players again and have money in the bank, its time to go for the absolute best

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

If we are splitting the money might be saving for someone else. 16m up front for Balotelli just putting two and two together

stiiphunn

Established Member
I don't think I've ever seen this guy play, but based on what I've heard he's already a great player even though he's only 22. It would make sense to splash the money on someone this young.

cannonade

Established Member
BobP said:
http://sportwitness.ning.com/forum/topics/full-story-on-arsenal-s-carvalho-bid-30m-could-actually-be-accept" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'm in. Remember when we were touting this guy as a dream signing. With Khedira and Schneiderlin gone cold it's nice to add more quality to the rumor mix. Not sure if this is a Wenger type signing though, and might be acting to add pressure on Khedira (who I think Wenger might really want) to lower his wage demands.

thedon5

eye4goal said:
Taylor Gang Gunners said:
He barely played for some reason, he'd have done a better job than Veloso. I watched him a few times for Sporting, he's quality. Has a ridiculous engine, extremely strong and athletic, neat and tidy with the ball at his feet although his range of passing could improve. He's a good striker of the ball too.

Sounds like a similar player to Khedira, and I hear he can do a job at CB if needed. It still seems too much of a risk for us with him unproven at the very top level unlike our other big buys.

Jan Hagen ‏@PortuBall 17m
Arsenal have got a €30m bid(in 2 payments) for W.Carvalho rejected by Sporting. SCP open for talks, but want all the money at once. [O Jogo]

If it's that easy then what are we waiting for.

I think this guy could do at the very least a decent job from the get go, he has all the tools to be able to do so except for experience. I don't know if I'm a minority, but I am still confident that we can rely on Arteta and Flamini to some extent. So for me the risk is worth taking. Especially when you consider Khedira, Schneiderlin and Bender all carry risks of their own.

I hope if we do get him though, it doesn't stop us from getting two CBs and shipping out Vermaelen. That simply isn't a good idea at all in the long term since this kid will be a nailed on starter in a season and hence IMO not the best fourth choice CB, and also we have to think about long-term replacements for Per and Kos.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/arsenal/10979220/Arsenal-will-have-to-pay-at-least-24m-for-Sporting-Lisbon-midfielder-William-Carvalho.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/footba ... valho.html</a>

we will have to pay full fee if we want Sporting Lisbon sell Carvalho.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Tony Leen ‏@tonyleen 26m
O Jogo blow Arsenal cover on moves for midfielder Carvalho. Things gonna have to move fast.

Le Grove ‏@LeGrove 20m
@tonyleen You think the move is genuine?

Tony Leen
‏@tonyleen
@LeGrove Was told there was interest there. Was hoping radio silence meant things were still bubbling along. Now with O Jogo story, dunno...

He was first with Sanchez, sounds like the bid we've made is true.

been

There is a reason we have never signed a player from the portuguese club(at least to my knowledge). They demand outrageous fees.

This guy is highly rated though.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Taylor Gang Gunners said:
We haven't got any young DM's, unless you count Coquelin. He'd displace Arteta or Flamini eaisly, who are both 30+. He'd also be on around 60-70K p/w if he came here, which is standard really.

Really hope our interest is genuine, he's such a talent.

Wouldn't mind him here but would like a bit of experience. Agree we do need a young CM who can win the ball but Sporting were quoting 35m a month ago. Khedira is a much smarter choice.

Mudi

Just give the goddamn £23m and buy this guy! There is a reason why this guy was the best player of the Portugees competition while playing CDM!!

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I hope this is legit, he'd be an awesome signing. I considered this a deadend but it looks like we can get him without hitting the release clause - Jorge Mendez aside.

Could argue not being proven outside of Portugal (he didn't really get to play in Brazil either) but his skill set can't be ignored IMO. 6 foot 2, commanding presence, doesn't lose possession and a strong tackler. Haven't seen much of his passing range but I read he used to be a number 10 so I imagine his all-round game is strong enough for our midfield. Another option on the CM list, if Sporting are really wanting to play ball at £24m.

Or, could be agent games.

mo50

Established Member
Saw him play like an oaf at the WC, didn't see the hype especially for a CM that would cost a good bit of money. Hopefully this doesn't mean we've lost hope on Khedira.

Iceman10

Established Member
What will stop United going back in for him and bidding £30m now? That could well be the intention of the agent and/or club. Too much information has got out if a bid was actually placed, unless of course the player wants to join us over any other club and we already know that.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
mo50 said:
Saw him play like an oaf at the WC, didn't see the hype especially for a CM that would cost a good bit of money. Hopefully this doesn't mean we've lost hope on Khedira.

He looks clumsy to me. Not sure what the obsession with his physique is about to be honest. It doesn't mean anything if he is simply 'neat and tidy' on the ball. We play a highly technical game, our defensive midfielder needs to be very good on the ball in order for us to play from the back.

Baffles me why we would bid for him. Someone like Kondogbia is better in every way.

ArseGod

So a guy has a bit role in the WC for a terribly underperforming team and he's no good? How was Kondogbia's world cup? I haven't seen William play more than the WC, but given the clubs interested and his Best Player in Portuguese league award I'm gonna go ahead and say I'm listening.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
Kondogbia is immensely talented, arguably at a similar level, but he f-cked himself when he moved to Monaco. He has to salvage his reputation IMO. I would buy Kondogbia over most Midfielders available, but it just isn't realistic right now.

Carvalho did not get enough of a chance to impress at the WC - he's far better than what he showed.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
MutableEarth said:
Kondogbia is immensely talented, arguably at a similar level, but he f-cked himself when he moved to Monaco. He has to salvage his reputation IMO. I would buy Kondogbia over most Midfielders available, but it just isn't realistic right now.

Carvalho did not get enough of a chance to impress at the WC - he's far better than what he showed.

That's the thing. Theres no doubt that he is physically very good or can win the ball back, but what is he like on the ball. What is he like whew pressurised and can he play forward. He reminds me of M'Villa from what I've seen of him in possession and that doesn't seem good enough.

musicmonkey

Established Member
Hmmm, i've always thought he didn't look anywhere near as good as the price he's had pinned to him. I'm very skeptical about this rumour indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom