• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Carvalho

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaze_of_glory

This would be a classic under the radar (somewhat) Wenger signing tbh. Rumours of Khedira, Schneiderlin, Vidal (lol), etc and then just sign this guy instead.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
GDeep said:
Flamini makes sense if you consider him a utility man type with Arteta being phased out for a new guy.

Yeah. I think people are forgetting that Flamini has various purposes. He is quite happy sitting on the bench. He offers education to younger players and he also covers right back and left back if we have a crisis in those areas.

Im a bit sceptical about the Carvalho link. Clearly the way we do our business we would want our interest kept quiet.However, the details have clearly been leaked in the hope of sparking a bidding war. They want to get as much as they can for him so we will probably offer the 24 million up front with a take it or leave it.

That would leave us with all of our business done. Vermaelen out, Varane in would be a dream also.

ArseGod

I'm to this point: One of Khedira, Bender, Carvalho, Schniedlerlin signs. If we don't bring in a more mobile and strong version of Arteta I'm going to punch something. It at least appears as though we've prioritized this signing. Hopefully,Ospina and this player are finalized by the CS. Then we can wait out the big boys and hopefully pounce if a good player becomes available.

The only other business I expect us to conduct would be a Vermalen replacements. Wenger appears content to have three CBs, which some of us feel is **** (myself included) but some appear content with. Maybe Hayden/Miquel can cover for a season.

I just want one of these players to come in for CDM/CM. For me, in terms of purpose/necessity/potential:

1. Carvalho
2. Khedira
3. Morgan
4. Bender

That's just me. I think any of them would be fantastic for the team and wouldn't be disappointed with any. Some of you will find that list absurd as we all have different opinions. I just think Carvalho could potentially be an Essien/Toure type of midfielder. If we can sign him, we shouldn't miss out.

Brotherz

Carvalho reminds me of Alex Song while he was playing for Arsenal, the way he goes about his game.
Carvalho would tick more boxes than the other players mentioned, he can also play as a natural center back.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think most would be happy worth any of those players. Right now although not convinced by Carvalho on the ball I'm leaning towards him simply because he offers protection to Wilshere, ox and Diaby. His youth and the fact he can play centre back is also a factor.

I Would be happier with Schneiderlin, carvalho or Bender. I Don't think Khedira is what we need.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
The_Playmaker said:
I think most would be happy worth any of those players. Right now although not convinced by Carvalho on the ball I'm leaning towards him simply because he offers protection to Wilshere, ox and Diaby. His youth and the fact he can play centre back is also a factor.

I Would be happier with Schneiderlin, carvalho or Bender. I Don't think Khedira is what we need.

Bender doesn't seem that great on the ball either to be honest, from what I've seen, but that isn't a lot. Most people who've watched Carvalho have said that he's an excellent passer, and that distribution is one of his strong points. I have to see more, but he's certainly not bad on the ball from what I've seen.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
MutableEarth said:
The_Playmaker said:

Bender doesn't seem that great on the ball either to be honest, from what I've seen, but that isn't a lot. Most people who've watched Carvalho have said that he's an excellent passer, and that distribution is one of his strong points. I have to see more, but he's certainly not bad on the ball from what I've seen.

Carvalho certainly isn't bad on the ball just because he doesn't distribute the ball like Xavi in his pomp.

Classic Playmaker post, likening a player he's only seen in compilations to Lee ****ing Cattermole.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
jones said:
MutableEarth said:
The_Playmaker said:

Carvalho certainly isn't bad on the ball just because he doesn't distribute the ball like Xavi in his pomp.

Classic Playmaker post, likening a player he's only seen in compilations to Lee ******* Cattermole.

Classic Jones, making assumptions. I haven't seen much of Carvalho at all, especially since I don't watch the Portuguese league. I'm judging him on when I have seen him play for Portugal, which also isn't that much. However, you don't need to watch someone 40 times to come to a conclusion as to whether they are good on the ball or not. He definitely isn't bad, but what I'm asking is whether he is good 'enough' or is this another M'Vila situation?

If someone has watched him for a sustained period of time and can genuinely comment on his ball retention under pressure as well his forward passing, then I'll listen. Having tidy distribution and being Okay on the ball isn't enough for our holder. We commit two full backs forward, our wide players, and Ramsey. The holder doesn't need Xavi level passing, but the responsibility in the shoulders of our deepest midfield player is immense.

It requires confidence in ones footballing ability which Arteta has along with very well weighted passes. I haven't seen anything above standard when it comes to Carvalho in that regard and if we are going to pay upwards of 25 million pounds then that should be something he should be able to do as well as Arteta, whether he has brute strength or not.

darthwenger

The_Playmaker said:

Exactly this. Think I was initially excited to be linked with Khedira but I think any of the other 3 would be a lot better fit for our deepest sitting midfielder (plus still question marks over Khedira's fitness?)

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
The_Playmaker said:
Classic Jones, making assumptions. I haven't seen much of Carvalho at all, especially since I don't watch the Portuguese league. I'm judging him on when I have seen him play for Portugal, which also isn't that much. However, you don't need to watch someone 40 times to come to a conclusion as to whether they are good on the ball or not. He definitely isn't bad, but what I'm asking is whether he is good 'enough' or is this another M'Vila situation?

If someone has watched him for a sustained period of time and can genuinely comment on his ball retention under pressure as well his forward passing, then I'll listen. Having tidy distribution and being Okay on the ball isn't enough for our holder. We commit two full backs forward, our wide players, and Ramsey. The holder doesn't need Xavi level passing, but the responsibility in the shoulders of our deepest midfield player is immense.

It requires confidence in ones footballing ability which Arteta has along with very well weighted passes. I haven't seen anything above standard when it comes to Carvalho in that regard and if we are going to pay upwards of 25 million pounds then that should be something he should be able to do as well as Arteta, whether he has brute strength or not.

Not making assumptions, merely commenting on your hang to continually slag off every other player we're linked to without really watching them. You don't need to watch a full season of a player to form an opinion, but strongly voicing dissent against a player which you haven't watched more than two or three times really shouldn't surprise you.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
I know next to nothing about him other than the youtube clips, which are deceptive. But he looks like he can carry the ball forward while being pressured.

I reckon the pursuit is already over though.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
jones said:
The_Playmaker said:

Not making assumptions, merely commenting on your hang to continually slag off every other player we're linked to without really watching them. You don't need to watch a full season of a player to form an opinion, but strongly voicing dissent against a player which you haven't watched more than two or three times really shouldn't surprise you.

No your not merely commenting. If that were the case you would put forward an actual argument rather then your 'typical playmaker post' jive. I also don't slag off players we are linked to. I have a preference like anyone when looking at a player. I either believe they will fit in or they won't but that doesn't mean I don't think they are good players. I think Khedira is a good player, but I don't think he is right for us. If I do't think a player is right I will state why, regardless of whether everyone thinks they are perfect for us.

Peoples opinions can change. But I go by what I see from my own eyes and at the moment I haven't seen a lot of Carvalho, so I'm not going to go 'yeah we should sign him', when from what I did see of him I wasn't particularly impressed by certain aspects of his game. If you read my posts you'll find that I acknowledge what I see he is good at. Like I said, opinions change. We may sign him, I'll see him in our team and think he is amazing.

I saw Ospina play at the world cup more than I had ever seen him before. I have no problem with us signing him. I initially thought Debuchy wasn't right for us because of his defensive frailties, but seeing how good he is in the air, I understand why we are signing him. I merely state opinions and sometimes I change them, you don't have to agree with them, but at the same time I don't see the need for 'commenting'. Just write a reply, or don't bother writing anything at all.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Yes, I am merely commenting on something that I've seen in a lot of threads, and, to be fair, not only you do, you're just one of the more prominent ones due to your series of posts in the Diego Costa thread.

Not trying to have a go at you, but I don't understand the urge a lot of posters here have to talk about players they have barely watched, simply don't comment at all or do so with the corresponding attitude, not this "I have watched 30 minutes of him playing spread over five games but he's ****" bollocks, irritating for people who actually watch said players.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
jones said:
Yes, I am merely commenting on something that I've seen in a lot of threads, and, to be fair, not only you do, you're just one of the more prominent ones due to your series of posts in the Diego Costa thread.

Not trying to have a go at you, but I don't understand the urge a lot of posters here have to talk about players they have barely watched, simply don't comment at all or do so with the corresponding attitude, not this "I have watched 30 minutes of him playing spread over five games but he's ****" bollocks, irritating for people who actually watch said players.

I stand by everything I said in the Costa thread. I'm glad we didn't sign him and I don't consider him to be prolific. I have seen a hell of a lot more of him than I did back then and my opinion hasn't changed in the slightest. I could stand to be proven wrong this season, but at the moment I have no regrets. My comments regarding Costa mean nothing in a Carvalho thread to be honest. Its my method, my approach, my opinion, every player is different, some I will like some I won't.

It is pretty clear that you are one of the go to guys when it comes to German football. Hence why I have even asked you questions regarding certain players. I remember making a tactical point about Gustavo in the way that he plays for Brazil that you hadn't seen him do in the German league. We all know things others don't, but I'm not one of the posters who watches a player and says they are **** after 5 games. I will watch a player and I will notice something I like or something I don't, then I will make my judgement, but it is always up for debate and I will always hold my hands up if that player changes my mind in the next 5 games that he plays :) .

Anzac

Established Member
IIRC last summer this guy was talked of in the same terms as the likes of Pogba.
If AW isn't planning to sign another forward then I want a CM able to enable us to not 'need' a Giroud as CF, and further to that I don't want a DLP that would slow us down.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Too much speculation about this transfer and far too public, doubt that it is happening. My question is an we afford another youngster in midfield? Although experienced Ramsey, Wilshere and Ox are mere babies career wise and the likes of Arteta, Flamini, Diaby and Rosicky are not starters and will be phased out within 18 months. Özil and Cazorla are very experienced but do you want your experience coming from attacking midfield?

The biggest pull factor with Khedira was that he was vastly experienced, isn't developing his game and is a captain whether he has the armband or not.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I like the impression this Carvalho is giving in the youtube clips. Good physique to compete in the midfield, having reasonable skills and decision on the ball.

He seem a bit slow off the ball but he might be developed into a CM like Yaya Toure.

eye4goal

Established Member
Irish Journalist Tony Leen on Twitter

Interesting insight from Portuguese contacts tonite re Carvalho to Arsenal: I'm told clubs are 10m apart on valuation and AFC won't budge.

Source close to Sporting believe they should take Arsenal offer of 24m. Lisbon club holding out for 34m. Deal won't happen at that price.

spartandre217

Established Member
Unless you're buying a well proven, versatile and game changing player like a Ramsey with 2 seasons of last year's form or Arturo Vidal, there's little chance in he'll of him going for that kinda fee, anywhere, ever.

I'm ambivalent on this guy though. On the one hand we do need someone with physicality, discipline, great passing and tactical awareness but in the modern game with costs being what they are and squad limits, versatility is the name of the game and for that sorta price I don't think it's quite worth it to have someone who can only sit in front of the defence.

That said, Toure was once a midfielder of the same ilk and Alex Song was a clumsy joke of a centre half so stranger things have happened.

For 34m Lisbon can go jump off a cliff... 24m we might bite. Either way we all know there's a need for a midfielder.

Tony Leen:
@tonyleen: Source close to Sporting believe they should take Arsenal offer of 24m. Lisbon club holding out for 34m. Deal won't happen at that price.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom