• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Gallas

Status
Not open for further replies.

weelip

MrHanson said:
- Åñð®éw - said:
argh Senderos to be on the bench when he comes back?.... gallas should move to LB even though he doesnt enjoy it

Eboue Toure Senderos Gallas

Looks better

I was complaining hours ago about chelsea giving us gallas and £8.5mil in exchange with gallas, then the fee now appaers to be £5mil, WTF chelsea are laughing at us anyone who cant see that we came off worse from this deal is either stupid or ignorant. gallas is 29 cole is 25, gallas had 1 year remaining cole had 2, its simple really we should have got minimum £13mil puls gallas.

Dude, get a gripe. Chelsea aint offering anything more than 16 million and I dont reckon they need a leftback more than we need a defender(expecially with Cygan gone). If we dont sell, we will have a disgruntled player who will not give 100% with us and his value going below 10 million come January. Then we will be in much dire situation.

Another way to look at it is that if we sell Cole for the 16m, we will still have to source for another good defender which will probably cause in the excess of 10 million. Then there is a fear that they cannot adapt too.

So all in all, I am pretty satisfied with this deal as it means we now have "world class" fully adapted defender, albeit at a cost of course. You can take it as we spent 10m on Gallas...someone who we will probably have much much less chance of getting when he becomes free.

NIPOLOPO

Established Member
lee1001 said:
http://www.redcafe.net/showthread.php?t=126516

Well United fans seem to think we got a good deal.

Cor blimey, am I dreaming or what? Manure fans not only can put two sentence together, but also they learned the art of using there brains.

Hallelujah, Labour education system is finally working

junialum

Put it this way, its easier to get a CB to settle than a LB and this is where Arsenal has gained.

All Gallas needs to do is to settle down with Toure, which should not be too much of a problem cause I see Gallas in the mould of Sol Campbell.

As for a LB you have to not only hold the line well with your fellow defenders but also move forward on the flank and link up with the midfielders and strikers.

And Moaninho's policy for wingers are very very different from that of Arsenal. Cole is special because he can attack and link up well with Pires/Henry. At Chelsea, Moaninho will force Cole to concentrate on his defensive duties (which is the reason why Gallas did shine as a makeshift leftback) and not go up so often.

Cole ain't gonna like that and his value will dip. And another thing to note, players who leave Arsenal do not do well at other clubs 90% of the time.

JMT

i think only overmars or wiltord has done well as a player who left arsenal in the last 7 years.

Pires - injury
Vieira- relgated
Petit - who knows
Anelka - diminished,never been as good

???

MrHanson

weelip said:
MrHanson said:
- Åñð®éw - said:
argh Senderos to be on the bench when he comes back?.... gallas should move to LB even though he doesnt enjoy it

Eboue Toure Senderos Gallas

Looks better

I was complaining hours ago about chelsea giving us gallas and £8.5mil in exchange with gallas, then the fee now appaers to be £5mil, WTF chelsea are laughing at us anyone who cant see that we came off worse from this deal is either stupid or ignorant. gallas is 29 cole is 25, gallas had 1 year remaining cole had 2, its simple really we should have got minimum £13mil puls gallas.

Dude, get a gripe. Chelsea aint offering anything more than 16 million and I dont reckon they need a leftback more than we need a defender(expecially with Cygan gone). If we dont sell, we will have a disgruntled player who will not give 100% with us and his value going below 10 million come January. Then we will be in much dire situation.

Another way to look at it is that if we sell Cole for the 16m, we will still have to source for another good defender which will probably cause in the excess of 10 million. Then there is a fear that they cannot adapt too.

So all in all, I am pretty satisfied with this deal as it means we now have "world class" fully adapted defender, albeit at a cost of course. You can take it as we spent 10m on Gallas...someone who we will probably have much much less chance of getting when he becomes free.

Apparently chelsea payed us £15mil plus gallas which sounds a fair deal thats according to legend's sources which have proved reliable in the past. As i said before if the deal was £5mil plus gallas in exchange then chelsea got the better deal as simple as that.

junialum

We got rid of a player that was causing us problems off the pitch and did not want to step on the pitch either.

You guys think that Gallas is worth a pesky 5 million? Or maybe 7 or 8. He was the best defender in the WC second only to Cannavaro. He was the anchor and saviour of Chelsea many times the seasons before. I value this guy at at least 12 million. Chelsea is making a big loss at losing him. Look at the state of the Chelsea defence this season without him. Not the usual watertight defence we know they have.

I don't think we made a loss. We did not make an extravagant profit as many of us would have wanted but certainly is not a loss. Get back to earth guys.

thegame24

Established Member
i stil think we got bumped a bit

however, getting the best CB in the world from chelsea would have been impossible a few years back.

choi12911

NIPOLOPO said:
lee1001 said:

Cor blimey, am I dreaming or what? Manure fans not only can put two sentence together, but also they learned the art of using there brains.

Hallelujah, Labour education system is finally working

Can anybody post the whole article? I got IP banned from that site for some reason...

el jefe

lee1001 said:

Good stuff. Some of the moaners on here need to read it.

The Chavs fan on there is particularly gutted :lol:

MrHanson

junialum said:
We got rid of a player that was causing us problems off the pitch and did not want to step on the pitch either.

You guys think that Gallas is worth a pesky 5 million? Or maybe 7 or 8. He was the best defender in the WC second only to Cannavaro. He was the anchor and saviour of Chelsea many times the seasons before. I value this guy at at least 12 million. Chelsea is making a big loss at losing him. Look at the state of the Chelsea defence this season without him. Not the usual watertight defence we know they have.

I don't think we made a loss. We did not make an extravagant profit as many of us would have wanted but certainly is not a loss. Get back to earth guys.

No one doubt's gallas's qualities and his status as one of the best CB inthe league or even world and i'm not unhappy that we signed the opposite. But likewise you cant doubt ashley's qualities and billing as one the besct left backs inthe world. The difference between the 2 is that oash is 4 years younger and had an extra year on his contract so surely he warrants more than £5mil over gallas's value.

But anyway no one yet knows the fee if we ever do find out. Gallas is here ash is gone whats done is done but i'll feel robbed if we only got £5mil.

mindchnger

junialum said:

I agree with you wholeheartedly...

Not to mention, I think Chelsea would have ponied up more money in the deal if we were a mid-table club/towards the bottom/or a foreign club like they have in practically every other deal they've gone through. We shouldn't discount their pride and all of the wranglings between the clubs of the past year because I think those things played a fair part in this deal going down to the wire. In the end, 5m is not the most we could have gotten in the swap+cash deal but if we held out, I doubt it would have gone through.

Arsenal_FAN1983

lee1001 said:

The Mancs have also forgot about our other good deals, selling Pascal Cygan for £2m :D, and getting the beast to the emirates! :D

gstew

MrHanson said:
junialum said:

No one doubt's gallas's qualities and his status as one of the best CB inthe league or even world and i'm not unhappy that we signed the opposite. But likewise you cant doubt ashley's qualities and billing as one the besct left backs inthe world. The difference between the 2 is that oash is 4 years younger and had an extra year on his contract so surely he warrants more than £5mil over gallas's value.

But anyway no one yet knows the fee if we ever do find out. Gallas is here ash is gone whats done is done but i'll feel robbed if we only got £5mil.
Hanson...earlier you state that anyone who doesn't agree that we got robbed is either stupid or ignorant. Then later you engage in a discussion about the history of transfer fees for outside (left or right) backs.

It shouldn't have taken too much research to see that only once in the entire history of worldwide football has any team paid more than 10 million pounds for an outside back. And guess who that was? Chelsea bought Ferreira for 12.5 million. There were two reasons that we had any expectation of getting a premium over 12 million (Cole's real market value at most). The first is that Chelsea always pay a premium. The second was that they needed to pay an extra premium for weakening ourselves while strengthening themselves. If we were to contribute to that scenario, we had better get paid. And that second premium cuts both ways!!! Now it isn't just Chelsea paying extra because they are strengthening themselves at our expense.

Cole's value to any other team in the world besides Chelsea was at most 12 million. Now look at Chelsea and Gallas' value. Our bid of 5 million was ridiculous. He is one of the best center back's in the world and is firmly in his prime. The last year of a contract is way overrated in reducing a transfer fee. You always sign the player to a new contract anyway. The last year is leverage so that the player doesn't leave in a year on a Bosman for free. That is relevant to teams that care about money. Chelsea wasn't worried about Gallas leaving on a free....they were worried about him strengthening one of their rivals. Gallas' true value was 10 million only because he was in the last year of his contract. If it wasn't for the Italian scandal Chelsea would have received offers of at least that much. Instead the market got flooded with top quality defenders like Thuram, Cannavaro and Zambrotta for reasonable prices. Regardless of their ages, Gallas is a much more valuable commodity than Cole if their contract lengths are equal. By signing Gallas to a new contract we got a better player at a more important position and we still made 5 million pounds off of our rivals. We are the winners! We did not get robbed or rogered. If we had agreed to a straight swap, we still would have been the winners. Was it possible to get a little more money from Chelsea? Who knows? But considering that this went down to the absolute last minute, I don't think so. There would have been only one result if this deal didn't happen....we would suffer. We would have a declining asset cancer in the squad. If Chelsea didn't buy in January, then we would never get even close to 10 million pounds from anyone for Cole once this window shut.

I am neither stupid nor ignorant! And I am certain that we got the better of this deal.

DannyGooner1982

Arsenal_FAN1983 said:
lee1001 said:

The Mancs have also forgot about our other good deals, selling Pascal Cygan for £2m :D, and getting the beast to the emirates! :D

hahaha its great to see the mancs and the chavs applauding the gunners forthis transfer.

our team is gonna kick some serious butt!

Asterix

Established Member
- Åñð®éw - said:
with the players we have... whos our best 11 players?

Can you please stop asking this in every thread?

This one's locked - kindly move into the thread in Arsenal Talk.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom