William Gallas

Discussion in 'Players' started by 1970*Gooner, Jan 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TomasCR

TomasCR New Member Trusted

You´re right, he wasn´t too bad when you leave out the goal, but that´s the problem with all defenders - one mistake that cost you a game makes you automatically playing badly all the game - unless you score a goal which he didn´t, unfortunately.

2. Tony Montana

Tony Montana New Member Elite

I didn't know Gallas hit the bar!

3. kooldawg

kooldawg New Member

Galls and Toure just don't cut it. I still think that hes our best defender, but he needs a guy like JT or Ferdinand to partner him to help him with aerial balls. Making him captain also doesn't seem to have been a bright idea cause he cant seem to have the concentration required to ensure people are doing the job as well as to make sure that he himself is concentrating on his marking and positioning. Can't fault him for trying to make it up by getting a goal. He's frequently scored at vital times for us.

4. tactica442

tactica442 New Member Trusted

Gallas definitely had the blame for that conceded header, but I don't think today's result was his fault. He did well in most of the game.

5. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Arse Emeritus Administrator

But we can't have it both ways. When Al let's in a poor goal he gets, rightfully, roasted. Gallas can jump when he's heading for goal, so I don't understand what makes him so reluctant to commit to a man in the box and scrap it out.

6. AliBabaBrewer

AliBabaBrewer New Member

Gallas is never going to be dropped.
    Being dropped means that he's being removed from the first team, and as captain, and both going to other people.

Wenger is never going to undermine Gallas like that.

You've got more chance of him putting Pat Rice up front.

7. Anzac

Anzac Active Member

Nothing personal but honestly - I don't give a flying f*ck if he'd scored. As a CB / defender your primary role is to stop the opposition having scoring opportunities / getting strikes on goal - not getting on the score sheet after the damage has been done.

8. kamikaze80

kamikaze80 New Member Elite

i agree, politically, it would undermine gallas in the dressing room. he has too much pride to accept a demotion like that (and rightfully so). if we want to upgrade our CB pairing or give the captaincy to someone else, we'll have to sell gallas.

9. lagos

lagos New Member Elite

so long as we get the right replacement that will be killing 2 birds with one stone

10. jay-d

jay-d Member

From what I remember, and I don't want to have to watch it again. Gallas switched off because he had to tell Kolo what to do, then as he's doing that the corner has come over and it's too late to react. I know most will disagree with me here but for me the problem is Kolo, Gallas is a proven WC cb who with the right partner ca be fantastic, just as he was at Chelsea with Terry , Carvallho or at international level. But Kolo is just Kolo, great athlete but not positionally astute enough to be a top top cb. I know Kolo is a fans favourite but thats my take on the situation.

11. Shadow Moses

Shadow Moses Well-Known Member

I'm sure he also switched off against Fulham and Bolton because he was instructing a fellow professional.

What nonsense.

12. jay-d

jay-d Member

I only mentioned yesterday. Why don't you read my post properly before calling it nonsense? And as I said "from what I remember" that was my initial thought at the time, but I have no desire to watch that crap again. I could be wrong, but I'm entitled to 'MY' opinion regarding the defensive problmes just like everyone else is.

13. Shadow Moses

Shadow Moses Well-Known Member

I wouldn't have mentioned both Fulham and Bolton had you not said Kolo was the problem. He clearly isn't as Gallas was directly responsible for 3 of the 4 goals the team has conceded this season. And all three due to the fact that he can't head for **** or 'switched off' as you put it.

Here's the defense that went unbeaten:

Lauren Toure Sol Cole

I don't see Gallas' name there.

So yeah, that opinion of Toure being the issue at the moment in time is pure nonsense.

14. jay-d

jay-d Member

My point is this.

Dominant CB + Gallas > Dominant CB + Toure

Maybe I should have made it clearer but that's just my take as I mentioned.

15. Biggus

Biggus New Member Elite

What position was he supposed to be playing anyway? he spent more time upfront even when we were still level.

To paraphrase Anzac- I don't give a flying f**k about Gallas' feeling's or dressing room politics (or indeed any players) and neither should Wenger, our title chase is wobbling and may be over before Christmas....... Well it's all too late for that now I suppose, the horse has already bolted- this is a conversation for January- if we're still in with a shout then.

16. 1970*Gooner

1970*Gooner Member

Gallas is becoming a liability, the other bummer is because he has the armband Wenger won't drop him.

17. Mark

Mark New Member Elite

In my opinion, both Gallas and Toure need to be dropped. I'd prefer Song in midfield really, but at the moment he and Djourou is the best partnership we can have to be honest.

Gallas' attitude stinks and he isn't as good as he once was or thinks he is. Toure is loveable because of the way he gets forward and stuff, but I don't know if he's really in the same league as defenders at most big clubs. I'm not sure how he's got away with being first choice for us for so long. Watching last season's season review DVD makes you realise how many mistakes he makes and in particular how many penalties he gives away, he lacks intellegence and composure at times, but I think often makes up for it with his pace and physical strength.

Whatever, neither of them are right for us, certainly not together. They're two I'd drop instantly along with yesterday's starting strike partnership.

18. Kain

Kain New Member

Could...

----------Almunia---------
    Sagna-Djourou-Song-Clichy

actually work, seems abit brittle, you'd get the height of Djourou and the closing down workrate of Song but would almost completely lose the pace of quick CB's and would have to rely on two pretty inexperienced young players to step in for a team that should be pushing for the premiership and the CL, but i still cant see both Toure and Gallas being dropped its going to be one or the other not both.

Then again our defensive ineptitude is also due to the complete lack of cover infront of the back four aswell, we started with Eboue-Denilson-Cesc-Walcott yesterday of them four only Eboue has any real defensive capabilities, Cesc said he wanted to work on being better defensivly in a few media coverage some weks back but he doesnt have the pace, Flamini wasent even that fast but his engine kept him going for 13km a game Cesc just isnt a DM, who's on the bench... Vela a forward pretty much a straight forward swap for Walcott, then Nasri and Rosicky both attacking players, and what the **** happened to Diaby?...

sorry im kind of ranting all im trying to point out is this when Geovanni scored yesterday he was 30 yards out but there was not one midfielder within 8 yards of him trying to close him down and we are only talking of the 60 min mark here not like the dying seconds of a hard fought game, the lack of defensive ability throughout the squad is not only not good but almost a joke between us and the other top end european teams.

------------Almunia------------

Sagna-Toure/Gallas-Djourou-Clichy

Walcott/Eboue-Cesc-Song/Diaby-Nasri/Rosicky/Vela

Seems more appropriate get Song in as the DM asap then hope to God that DIaby can do a job there aswell only drop one of the CB's for Djourou who has seemed decent enough in an Arsenal shirt whenever hes been asked to do a job so far this season. What we dont want to see is Gallas upfront with 10 mins left like a loon its ****ing embaressing.

19. RocktheCasbah

RocktheCasbah New Member Elite

Gallas needs to be dropped. And we need to get Martin Keown in and get our defence drilled and drilled and drilled.

20. Lord Dula

Lord Dula New Member Elite

Think Silvestre should get a game either next to Toure or Djourou

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.