• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Saliba: 2019/20 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

lomekian

Essays are my thing
And Liverpool got him for 3m from the championship.

The club is neglecting the amount of good players there are in the championship. We could have signed Grealish or Maddison from there a few years back and now they’re out of our price range.

Arsenal actually wanted Gomez, but he chose Liverpool

TromsoGooner

Obsessed With Looking for Eric
He seems to accept that he won`t be able to play the cup final and won`t sulk about it, and in general comes across very well, seems very mature. Very excited to see him play for us.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
If we had experienced players worth a damn, nobody would care.

You to the youth players, as soon as we get great again...

tumblr_o9ylpvgeiV1sas3ibo1_400.gif

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Shame he isn't playing in the final tonight, I'd have liked to take a look at him.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
You to the youth players, as soon as we get great again...

tumblr_o9ylpvgeiV1sas3ibo1_400.gif
I grew up in a time when Aliadiere and Pennant were the best youngsters at the club and could hardly get any minutes because why the **** would they get in the team ahead of Pires, Ljungberg & co. A time where David Bentley lobbing Mark Schwarzer on his debut and Quincy Owusu-Abeyie rinsing full-backs every time he played wasn't enough to buy them currency with Wenger. Had Ryan Smith not completely destroyed his knee, he probably would have survived but we'll never know.

Even then, I believed that having a productive Hale End conveyor belt would be ideal, but only to the end that we would produce at least one potential first teamer every year or so while we made money from the rest. Having a Hale End team is a pipe dream, one I still hold, but a pipe dream nonetheless. The call for more of them in the team is my reaction to the current state of affairs - the experienced players aren't good enough collectively, so we don't have that much to lose from my perspective. When that changes, you'll see my tune become a little more mainstream and moderate :lol:

Ironically, we just announced IMO our best scholar intake since the 08 winners today. Will be interesting to see who out of that lot makes a step up (Omari Hutchinson is one of the scholars!).

I grew up in a time when Aliadiere and Pennant were the best youngsters at the club and could hardly get any minutes because why the **** would they get in the team ahead of Pires, Ljungberg & co. A time where David Bentley lobbing Mark Schwarzer on his debut and Quincy Owusu-Abeyie rinsing full-backs every time he played wasn't enough to buy them currency with Wenger. Had Ryan Smith not completely destroyed his knee, he probably would have survived but we'll never know.

Even then, I believed that having a productive Hale End conveyor belt would be ideal, but only to the end that we would produce at least one potential first teamer every year or so while we made money from the rest. Having a Hale End team is a pipe dream, one I still hold, but a pipe dream nonetheless. The call for more of them in the team is my reaction to the current state of affairs - the experienced players aren't good enough collectively, so we don't have that much to lose from my perspective. When that changes, you'll see my tune become a little more mainstream and moderate :lol:

Ironically, we just announced IMO our best scholar intake since the 08 winners today. Will be interesting to see who out of that lot makes a step up (Omari Hutchinson is one of the scholars!).

The tone here is always the same after a loss. 'its the youth fault we are bad, they will never make it'. Yeah, the youth is maybe not good enough yet, and struggle to carry our diabolical seniors, but we have invested so much time in them. And like with Gnabry, elite talent according to these same people who only started to be constant at age of 22, maybe even 23 these players are so close to being able to contribute on a constant basis.

This is the generation that was the best in the country when they won the u23 league at the time, and we have managed to keep many of them together. Now it's not the time to give up on them but start valuing them because their contributions will be bigger next season and they will be much more solid and settled in the squad! It is a good base to build on and move forward!

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
The tone here is always the same after a loss. 'its the youth fault we are bad, they will never make it'. Yeah, the youth is maybe not good enough yet, and struggle to carry our diabolical seniors, but we have invested so much time in them. And like with Gnabry, elite talent according to these same people who only started to be constant at age of 22, maybe even 23 these players are so close to being able to contribute on a constant basis.

This is the generation that was the best in the country when they won the u23 league at the time, and we have managed to keep many of them together. Now it's not the time to give up on them but start valuing them because their contributions will be bigger next season and they will be much more solid and settled in the squad! It is a good base to build on and move forward!
The thing is, a long term project is unavoidable at this stage. We're not gonna stroll back into the top 4 overnight, not even given how bad the top 4 race has been this season. And we're not quite as rich as we would like to be in terms of bringing in players - we will have to sell aswell. That's why we have to be very shrewd when it comes to which assets we choose to cash in on aswell. At this stage, none of the Hale End boys we should be cashing in on right now as they're bigger assets to the team in the mid-term than they are as sales at this point. We're an ageing team currently as it is. Maybe a couple years down the line, Nketiah gets 15-30 odd goals as a back-up, we can get £20-30m+ for him, with TJJ ready to take that spot later on. As an example.

As you pointed out, Hale End is not the problem at this stage IMO - in fact it is one of our biggest assets both in terms of sellable assets and in terms of squad building. We should endeavor to keep as many of them together in the short term as possible. No way should we be selling any of them right now. Even if you don't rate them (and I'm aware most don't), they'll be far more valuable in a season or two than they will be now when they're having to play second fiddle to inconsistent first teamers.

9jagooner

The thing is, a long term project is unavoidable at this stage. We're not gonna stroll back into the top 4 overnight, not even given how bad the top 4 race has been this season. And we're not quite as rich as we would like to be in terms of bringing in players - we will have to sell aswell. That's why we have to be very shrewd when it comes to which assets we choose to cash in on aswell. At this stage, none of the Hale End boys we should be cashing in on right now as they're bigger assets to the team in the mid-term than they are as sales at this point. We're an ageing team currently as it is. Maybe a couple years down the line, Nketiah gets 15-30 odd goals as a back-up, we can get £20-30m+ for him, with TJJ ready to take that spot later on. As an example.

As you pointed out, Hale End is not the problem at this stage IMO - in fact it is one of our biggest assets both in terms of sellable assets and in terms of squad building. We should endeavor to keep as many of them together in the short term as possible. No way should we be selling any of them right now. Even if you don't rate them (and I'm aware most don't), they'll be far more valuable in a season or two than they will be now when they're having to play second fiddle to inconsistent first teamers.
What you should balance this with is that the young boys won't wait forever. As soon as you hit 21 (or maybe even younger), you already have clubs talking to you plus you're already thinking about the next step

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
What you should balance this with is that the young boys won't wait forever. As soon as you hit 21 (or maybe even younger), you already have clubs talking to you plus you're already thinking about the next step
Oh absolutely - we just have to be able to extract good value in the short-term. We're lucky to be in a position where we are still producing strong talents (maybe a bit more replenishment in the wing positions beyond Nelson/Saka) but ultimately if we're getting stiffed in negotiations we can't adequately put towards significant recruitment.

This is within reason of course - for e.g. I don't expect us to get big money for Folarin Balogun in the final year of his contract, so that's a loss whichever way we look at it. Just our fortune that CF is a position we're producing a lot of talent at the moment.

roz

Fake News Merchant

Quincy!
I remember that lad, whatever happened to him?

lomekian

Essays are my thing
Doesn't look like Saliba missed a lot tonight. 1-0 PSG, after St Ettienne's captain was sent off (slightly dubious VAR upgrade from yellow). They hit the post too, and were unlucky to lose, but given both the red card and the goal came from the opposite side to where Saliba plays, i;m not sure he would have impacted much

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom