• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Saliba: Here to Stay ✍️

Who?

• Van Dijk

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Saliba

Votes: 241 84.3%
  • Maguire

Votes: 14 4.9%

• Total voters

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Because we dont have great defenders ahead of him. He will probably not start much the first few months but I reckon he will end up being a fixture by the 2nd half of the season.

Yeah I said this, likely to be a starter second half of the season. Whether it's with Gabriel or tho I am not so sure.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

EftGVQ6XYAAR2El
I'm convinced, bald fade Saliba is like an inform card.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐

This bit from the article... seemed odd spin on 3W / 3D / 5L.

When he was fit and available, though, Saliba continued to excel last season. Saint-Etienne won 41 per cent of their matches with Saliba and only 28 per cent of those when he was injured. Remarkably, he only conceded two fouls in the entire league campaign. By contrast, Arsenal defender David Luiz conceded 30 fouls in the Premier League — including five penalties.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
I'm most excited about how Saliba and Maghales grow into a partnership. Its the first time in a criminally long while we have two physically, technically and mentally dominant CBs with bags of potential who also complement each other. It'll take some time for them to find their footing for sure. Luiz, Mustafi or Socrates helping them transition is fine for the time being.

Ifly_Gooner

I did watch a few videos on Saliba and the insights that I could gather are
Strengths
1. Strong defender
2. Great at interceptions
3. Can pass under pressure
4. Has a long passing range

Weakness
1. Over agressive at times. Leaves the lines exposed for a over the top/through ball
2. Makes silly mistakes. The Arsenal way of defending for the past few years.
3. Holds on way too long when pushing forward with the ball.

I believe he could be taught to remain disciplined and not be over aggressive ala Vermaelen and to pass /rotate possession but the silly mistakes scare me a lot. Finally, he’s just 19 would love to see him being eased into the squad and if it means that he’s a first teamer in a couple of seasons that would be well worth it.

Wryer

How did he look in the MK Don's game?

Must say Gabriel's aggressive physical defending has got me bit worried. His distribution also seems limited. If he is going to be a starter for us, Saliba will have to be complementary to that.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

This guy will be starting in no time I reckon, even more so than Gabriel. Probably helps both guys that there’s no crowd for a while but can’t wait to watch them soak up a NLD or OT atmosphere.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
How did he look in the MK Don's game?

Must say Gabriel's aggressive physical defending has got me bit worried. His distribution also seems limited. If he is going to be a starter for us, Saliba will have to be complementary to that.

Looked good. Some good passing to the midfield. Didn't really have much defending to do but when he did he did it well. Looks massive and at 19 already looks like no footballer could physically best him

Wryer

Looked good. Some good passing to the midfield. Didn't really have much defending to do but when he did he did it well. Looks massive and at 19 already looks like no footballer could physically best him

Great to hear no footballer can physically best him.

What about a rugby player like Adama Traore? :lol:

GunnerShy

He looked good. As you'd expect against MK dons.

Physically big, looks agile for his size and moves well.

Busy with the ball at foot, often knocked it three of four meters ahead with his first touch and then looks to progress play.

What I liked was he was very busy after his short passes. Quick to move into space to offer an option to the guy he passed to. Good off the ball movement. Hopefully he stays fit and plays 25+ games in the EPL this season.

It would seem stupid to play guys like Mustafi, Holding etc ahead of him. He's the future.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Obviously it was 45mins in a friendly agaimst MK dons, but this guy just has an aura about him that you only ever sense from the truly top cbs. I reckon we've got a special one here.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom