• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Saliba: Here to Stay ✍️

Who?

• Van Dijk

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Saliba

Votes: 241 84.3%
  • Maguire

Votes: 14 4.9%

• Total voters

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
We need to pair him with supreme talent, and move Gabriel and White/Tomiyasu to our second string CB options. So give me a top class LCB this summer.

We are covered at LB, hopefully Tavares makes a comeback too. At RB we have BNC, Tomi and White.

Then get Saliba to sign the damn thing, and we are set for the 2020s.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

I guarantee we finish top 4 last season if he started, rather than waste 50 mil on Ben White, that money should have been invested in a talented midfielder. No shade at White, but he was a luxury signing.
I don’t even have a problem with White tbh, maybe luxury but definitely a good player.

What pains me about last season is all the games that Cedric and Holding played and the drop in performance it lead to that could have been avoided.

Ah well. If we get top4 this season then I guess all we lost was time. No big deal.

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
I didn't watch as much of him at Nice as I did with Marseille, but he was already good there. Put it this way, he would've been better than Mustafi and Holding which is why I was so frustrated that he didn't get game time during the 20/21 season when he was with us (even run outs in the League Cup would've been ok).

That said, my biggest worry was that he wouldn't get a truly fair chance after returning from Marseille. That's been quelled by the way Arteta has been using him and so long as he signs then I really can't complain.

On the topic, whilst he was already good at Marseille (he was already good on the ball from the offset), he's definitely stepped up after re-joining us tbh. He was excellent at Marseille but he looks absolutely world class now. Long may it continue.
Looking at White last year, there's absolutely no way Saliba is not a huge upgrade on him so the PR excuse that Saliba won't have minutes here is ridiculous. He would just be as good for us here as Marseille (so good he became first choice for France there etc). I will ignore the Mustafi period because that was beyond ridiculous the PR reasoning put out against him.

I have no doubts if we brought him back, he would start every match simply because he was that good. There's no need for any adaptation period for someone this good, like as if people will say Mbappe is 21 need to ease him in lol. And Emirates will probably meltdown if we kept him on the bench. People ain't stupid.

Now my only concern is how do we tie him down. He would have already signed if we treated him correctly last 3 years, now we have to throw in the kitchen sink and entire wage bill at him.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

We need to pair him with supreme talent, and move Gabriel and White/Tomiyasu to our second string CB options. So give me a top class LCB this summer.

We are covered at LB, hopefully Tavares makes a comeback too. At RB we have BNC, Tomi and White.

Then get Saliba to sign the damn thing, and we are set for the 2020s.

You know what SA, I'm still willing to see if Gabriel can become that top class starting LCB, I feel like he could develop into one as he's still young. Plus he has all of the physical tools to become one, albeit he's less technically able on the ball than Saliba but still quite good for a CB imo.

The question is how long do you wait? I'd say Gabriel is definitely a top 4 calibre of player (or is that too kind?) and if he could get better during this season (whilst top 4 is still the goal) then that'd be great.

I suppose if we started making moves to challenge for the title and if Gabriel is then still making rash challenges then you start asking about bringing in someone above him.

On the topic, it'd be convenient if Arteta would play a right footer at LCB because it'd mean that we could play Saliba and White/Tomi in the middle, but well that's never going to happen lol.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Think PSG will be the front runners for his signature, considering their wealth their defense is poor - 36 year old Ramos, Kimpembe and Marquinhos.

His interview makes me think he won't go to PSG just yet. Last decade Barcelona would be looking at his family tree to see if there was any Catalan blood there.

Think Madrid would a very good destination for him once he matures a bit more, he has the stones for it and it's easier to leave Florentino than to leave Paris if he ever decides he needs another challenge.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
You know what SA, I'm still willing to see if Gabriel can become that top class starting LCB, I feel like he could develop into one as he's still young. Plus he has all of the physical tools to become one, albeit he's less technically able on the ball than Saliba but still quite good for a CB imo.

The question is how long do you wait? I'd say Gabriel is definitely a top 4 calibre of player (or is that too kind?) and if he could get better during this season (whilst top 4 is still the goal) then that'd be great.

I suppose if we started making moves to challenge for the title and if Gabriel is then still making rash challenges then you start asking about bringing in someone above him.

On the topic, it'd be convenient if Arteta would play a right footer at LCB because it'd mean that we could play Saliba and White/Tomi in the middle, but well that's never going to happen lol.

I think Gabriel is a very good player, but his rashness.... it puts me off. Again, I like Magalhães a lot, he's very phisical, quick and likes a duel, but that last bit of calmness eludes him.

I joke about him being Mustafied, but I do feel there are similarities insofar as both had amazing traits for defenders (maube Mustafi was shorter?), but sometimes (well, mostimes with Shkodran) their heads got in the way.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Looking at White last year, there's absolutely no way Saliba is not a huge upgrade on him so the PR excuse that Saliba won't have minutes here is ridiculous. He would just be as good for us here as Marseille (so good he became first choice for France there etc). I will ignore the Mustafi period because that was beyond ridiculous the PR reasoning put out against him.

I have no doubts if we brought him back, he would start every match simply because he was that good. There's no need for any adaptation period for someone this good, like as if people will say Mbappe is 21 need to ease him in lol. And Emirates will probably meltdown if we kept him on the bench. People ain't stupid.

Now my only concern is how do we tie him down. He would have already signed if we treated him correctly last 3 years, now we have to throw in the kitchen sink and entire wage bill at him.

Yep pretty much. Although I will say that I do like White (and I know you're not saying he's bad). I was quite annoyed that we spent so much on him last year but tbh he's a very solid player with excellent technical ability and I don't think you can ever have too many quality CBs (unless you're City lol).

That said, Saliba is prodigy level, the kind of innate superior ability that comes around only once every so often. Definitely a generational talent.

I don't really want to get into another full blown debate about his handling by Arteta, but nobody will ever convince me that he wasn't ready last season, or that he wasn't ready for atleast the League Cup during the 20/21 season.

Anyway, let's hope he signs.

Farzad Stoned

Self-appointed Deprogrammer for the Cult of Mik 🟥

Player:Havertz
From not good enough to play a part to maybe the best CB in the league in one year…Anyway!

His composure is beyond his years, his dribbling in tight spaces (can’t believe I’m even talking about this with a 6’4 CB) is something I haven’t seen in a CB and he’s got years and years to work on his distribution and get it to elite levels. If he does that he’s basically the best CB in the world which sounds crazy, I know.

He’s making the premier league team of the season as things stand and he might force his way into the France team. I hope he forgives us.
Cmon on you know he only got better than Holding in the last 5 months. Lol

Farzad Stoned

I love Saliba but let’s not throw in the towel on Gabriel, I’ll admit he has been poor this season. But overall I rate him. There aren’t any more dominant CBs aerially, he is not at his best as a player when isolated and forced to go to ground or is pressurized with ball. But honestly 3 or 4 players made mistakes on that goal he just was the last one. And against Ynited with no Partey and no DM he was playing without much midfield cover. There just isn’t a lot of good. CB in world football. Both our guys are good, Saliba the better, but in air on set pieces Gabriel is elite do compliments the more technical and polished Saliba. How much would a CB better than him cost? We need help in central midfield first. To buy a defender as young and as good as Gabriel you got spend 40 millionish at least

TriniGunner

I love Saliba but let’s not throw in the towel on Gabriel, I’ll admit he has been poor this season. But overall I rate him. There aren’t any more dominant CBs aerially, he is not at his best as a player when isolated and forced to go to ground or is pressurized with ball. But honestly 3 or 4 players made mistakes on that goal he just was the last one. And against Ynited with no Partey and no DM he was playing without much midfield cover. There just isn’t a lot of good. CB in world football. Both our guys are good, Saliba the better, but in air on set pieces Gabriel is elite do compliments the more technical and polished Saliba. How much would a CB better than him cost? We need help in central midfield first. To buy a defender as young and as good as Gabriel you got spend 40 millionish at least

Gabriel's only problem is his decision making under pressure. What needs to be done there is more communication.

Farzad Stoned

Gabriel's only problem is his decision making under pressure. What needs to be done there is more communication.
I think his problem is similar to Saka this year trying to build an understanding with new line mate. I think Saka is trying to build an understanding of how to play with a ball dominant CF. And Gabriel is also adjusting to a new pairing. I think psychologically the universal acclaim and fan adoration for the new young guy might be causing him to press as well. These players are human, I am sure he is happy for Saliba but might feel like he is under pressure now to not be odd man out. I wouldn’t give up on Saka or Gabriel frankly

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
I genuinely don’t know how we keep him if Madrid, PSG and co offer him a starting spot with bigger wages than we can offer. Playing time is probably the biggest thing we can offer him but that becomes less of a big deal after the World Cup.

Part of me feels like he’s forgiven but hasn’t forgotten what happened to him last season (even if all of that hadn’t happened I don’t think it would make much of a diff tbh) so we can’t even use the loyalty argument to convince ourselves he’ll stay

I try not to think about it because logically there aren’t really any reasons for him to stay if bigger sides come in for him.
If it weren't for the fact that he grew up supporting us I would think it was a foregone conclusion that he's off. I think that outside of insane money being offered, the fact that he might be the most popular player at his boyhood club is maybe something he'd like to continue to experience before moving on to a different challenge. I'm not as worried about PSG as Madrid and even in the case of Madrid, they have 3 really good CBs already and going big on an understudy/replacement for Benzema is probably a higher priority. Having said that, the 300M Perez had ready for Mbappe is probably burning a hole in his wallet so that could be an issue in the summer. I would like to think that he'll stay though. I don't think you trade in your dream for an upgrade so quickly when it's going so well.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Saliba and Gabriel are both way of their prime. We have a top level defence that will, at worst stay this level. It is very likely they improve.

Let's look at our rivals.

Liverpool- defence a shadow of its former self. Robertson criticised and TAA never out of the media for poor defending. Even VVD looks lost.

City- conceded 3 against Newcastle. Looked shakey against Palace. Laporte can't stay fit. Dias looks top drawer but Walker (because aging), Stones and Ake are all questionable.

Chelsea- James a great player but not performing. Fofana another good defender not playing well. Koulibally on the bench.

United no need to go there.

Sp**s- we seen today no need to comment.

Every single team can make mistakes and have lapses. Gabriel is brilliant. 1 mistake doesn't change that. Saliba......the boy looks on Nesta/Cannavaro level he's that good. Dribbled out of the box today about half a dozen Sp**s players around him. Brilliant in the air. Fast. Strong.

We should be lucky we have the both of them. White also deserves a mention. Been excellent.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom