• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Saliba: Here to Stay ✍️

Who?

• Van Dijk

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Saliba

Votes: 241 84.3%
  • Maguire

Votes: 14 4.9%

• Total voters

Jason Jace

You are laughable.
Stop crying, players gets injured all the time, it's not like he was tackled or something, for all we know, he could have been carrying the injury before the match...

Players get paid to play, getting injured is part of the game, it was just unfortunate that both him and tomi got injured at the same time and in the same game.

Bad things happens, it's part of life

DUFFMAN

Crybaby
If one key player out was all it caused for us to concede the title to City, we were never in the race tbh. I’m glad Partey is at least available as he will have been a bigger miss. We do have internal solutions available for Saliba.
It’s not as simple as that.

The Tomiyasu injury in top of Saliba is killing us.

Otherwise it would have been a simile White for Saliba and Tomiyasu for White.

DUFFMAN

Crybaby
That Sporting game definitely shaved a couple of our 9 lives, irritatingly.

I do wish we had a better suited RCB than Holding, don't think Arteta really planned ahead there but I guess they like the guy and still kinda trust him when the chips are down so.....
Well be did plan for it.

Tomiyasu was the plan.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

That Sporting game definitely shaved a couple of our 9 lives, irritatingly.

I do wish we had a better suited RCB than Holding, don't think Arteta really planned ahead there but I guess they like the guy and still kinda trust him when the chips are down so.....

Well, plan B was always Tomi to RB and Ben to CB but the Tomi injury kills us. I wouldn't be too worried about the run-in with that, but here we are with both picking up knocks.

Buhry

Established Member

Leeds are missing players too so this should still be massively in our favor. However I don't want to see him against Nunez, I know many think he's a bit of a donkey but he's also extremely fast and physical, think Holding might get sent off cause he'll have to resort to his usual shirt pulling antics

Devastating to be honest. Hope we get to see him in the important matches

Such a huge blow if he's out for a longer period, arguably worse than losing Jesus. His ball recovery stats in the defensive 3rd are top in the league and his ball playing ability for a cb is elite. Could totally cost us the title if he has an extended injury.. Gonna need the rest of the squad to really be firing and the offense to be on point

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Easy solution. Play 3-5-2, with Elneny, Partey, Jorginho in the middle to shield while aiming for a draw and swift counter-attack. So when Saliba becomes available, he will help the team in the remaining PL matches.

If Arteta fields a 70-80% Saliba against Citeh. It's not the result of that match which I worry about, it's the other games. Last season the collapse of 5 point lead with a game in hand in the final run still a vivid lesson.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

If our system didn't require a complete CB like Saliba it'd be less of a worry. We're simply going to have to adapt. We can't ask Holding to try and be Saliba, maybe White is gonna have to hold back a bit more. Maybe Xhaka go to playing more alongside Partey and Zinchenko play a bit differently. But Arteta has to find a solution other than just throwing Holding in the same role and hoping it works

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
If our system didn't require a complete CB like Saliba it'd be less of a worry. We're simply going to have to adapt. We can't ask Holding to try and be Saliba, maybe White is gonna have to hold back a bit more. Maybe Xhaka go to playing more alongside Partey and Zinchenko play a bit differently. But Arteta has to find a solution other than just throwing Holding in the same role and hoping it works
But arteta tends to want his CB to play like Saliba whoever that is - reason why Holding was left to look so poor against Son vs Sp**s last yr - isolated one on one in a high line. Although cedric made it worse. If the CB don't play a high line, it just disrupts the way we play with the ball and arteta probably won't compromise on that.

Malky

Established Member
Seen people suggest we could still play Saliba in the big games, keep him rested for then. But then the questions about match sharpness or general fitness comes into it and, to be honest, I'd rather have a half fit, near crippled Saliba play against City and Pool than Holding.
If it's Holding as a starter for the rest of the season then we're in the ****. It's only one player, but it breaks up the leagues best CB pairing, it disrupts the rest of the back 4/5 and our ability at playing out from the back because Holding isn't anywhere near as comfortable as Saliba.
Of all times for Tomi to get injured... again. :facepalm:

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
Remember when you and your cronies were mocking me for saying I wanted us to get knocked out of the EL and saying playing star players was an injury waiting to happen?
Told everyone the EL was the garden of Eden and we took a massive bite out of the apple with tomi and saliba injuries. Unless you need the CL place, I put it right up there with winning the Carling cup.

MikeVinna

Established Member
Still hoping for some good news from Mikel here tbh. When is the Leeds presser?

If playing through this injury means risking his career then we’d never do it.. He could be the next Umtiti who sacrificed his career for a world cup.

Edit: Yes, playing Wilo and not Holding in Europa was ridiculous.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
He could've gotten this injury in any game tbf, but the fact that Mikel doesn't trust Holding in a home leg vs Sporting says it all.

And now we might have to play him vs Liverpool :lol:
It's not a trust issue, it's a player profile issue. Holding doesn't fit into this team, his ball control and passing makes it hard for the team to organize attacks. Holding will hoof the ball, he will use long range passing and all that stuff that kills our game, while Saliba always looks for smart passes and never looks uncomfortable with the ball.

Also, I think Saliba is a better defender in a high line while Holding is better when we sit deep, which is not something we do anymore

Sparrahork

If holdingo is such a weak link then we should move Blanco infield and either Walters or Tierney in the right hopefully if we hold a lead in upcoming games we will test those players there to see if a better balance or not.

For me saliba should not be risked at all if any chance of worsening his injury. Yes it may boost our chances of a league victory, however I would rather we continue to have him available in future years.

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
It's not a trust issue, it's a player profile issue. Holding doesn't fit into this team, his ball control and passing makes it hard for the team to organize attacks. Holding will hoof the ball, he will use long range passing and all that stuff that kills our game, while Saliba always looks for smart passes and never looks uncomfortable with the ball.

Also, I think Saliba is a better defender in a high line while Holding is better when we sit deep, which is not something we do anymore

To me that's the same thing. He doesn't trust him because he doesn't fit the team. He's not only much worse defensively, he's not as good on the ball as Saliba either.

Malky

Established Member
If holdingo is such a weak link then we should move Blanco infield and either Walters or Tierney in the right hopefully if we hold a lead in upcoming games we will test those players there to see if a better balance or not.

For me saliba should not be risked at all if any chance of worsening his injury. Yes it may boost our chances of a league victory, however I would rather we continue to have him available in future years.
Tierney at RB could work, in all honesty - he played at RB for Scotland a couple of times and even got motm in that position. Plus he can play to his ability as an old school full back. White is also a far better CB than Holding, so this is potentially our best option?

Tom Mix

He actually played a superb, crossfield attacking pass against Palace which actually drew a gasp in the stands. It's his pace I worry about more and we have to take account of that. His heart I do not question at all.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom