• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Saliba: Here to Stay ✍️

Who?

• Van Dijk

Votes: 31 11.0%
  • Saliba

Votes: 238 84.1%
  • Maguire

Votes: 14 4.9%

• Total voters

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Waa more fun when folks tried to convince us he's average and that Mustafi and Sokratis were better.

Folks meaning Arteta since he left him out in favour of those two in 2020 for the EL and decided he wasn't good enough to play against Dundalk.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I don't think anyone understood what that was about. Fortunately, it seems we're back to more sensible ways.
You were told before, and after here, what it was about.

It was about Saliba & White being better on the ball than Gabriel. Partey too. Timber is the Zinchenko type, a bit different though and better at defending.

Tomiyasu-Gabriel on the left is not good for build-up play. Saliba is needed there if Tomiyasu starts.

Against City it was the usual type Timber-Gabriel-Saliba-White. Next against an easier opponent Nottingham it was Timber-Saliba-White-Partey.

It all makes sense. Against easier opponent that line-up is more attacking, Gabriel's best attributes are defence related, eventhough he is a great CB of course, and can pass.

Against City he played Gabriel rather than Partey, to get more defensive solidity, but still have Timber in the Zinchenko role.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

You were told before, and after here, what it was about.

It was about Saliba & White being better on the ball than Gabriel. Partey too. Timber is the Zinchenko type, a bit different though and better at defending.

Tomiyasu-Gabriel on the left is not good for build-up play. Saliba is needed there if Tomiyasu starts.

Against City it was the usual type Timber-Gabriel-Saliba-White. Next against an easier opponent Nottingham it was Timber-Saliba-White-Partey.

It all makes sense. Against easier opponent that line-up is more attacking, Gabriel's best attributes are defence related, eventhough he is a great CB of course, and can pass.

Against City he played Gabriel rather than Partey, to get more defensive solidity, but still have Timber in the Zinchenko role.
You may try to rationalise it, and that is fine, but you'd struggle to find many that agrees with breaking up a central defence that served us admirably last season.

1macca1

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
You may try to rationalise it, and that is fine, but you'd struggle to find many that agrees with breaking up a central defence that served us admirably last season.
It might be a bit like finding people who agree with dropping a keeper that served us admirably last season.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I personally think Arteta will always try different things depending on situation and opponent. He has more quality depth in the squad now.

But injuries to Timber and Partey affect a bit.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

It might be a bit like finding people who agree with dropping a keeper that served us admirably last season.
Surely there is a difference between replacing one player, and disrupting a partnership? Are you arguing that we should permanently replace Gabriel? I think we'll permanently replace Ramsdale. Not sure I see the correlation here.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

I personally think Arteta will always try different things depending on situation and opponent. He has more quality depth in the squad now.

But injuries to Timber and Partey affect a bit.
I think that is a fair assumption, but I'm not sure we were served well by benching Gabriel. It is what is though, and we'll see what choices are made in the future.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Ramsdale was a statistically middle of the pack goalkeeper last season. Gabriel and Saliba were a statistically elite partnership last season. If I'm not mistaken we had the 3rd best defensive record in the league until Saliba got injured and the 2 teams ahead of us at that time were Newcastle who sit in a deep block and City who have 80% of the ball and Rodri sitting in front of 4 CBs out of possession.

We played the highest line in the league and our CBs had less cover and more responsibility than pretty much any other CB pairing and they were still an elite defensive pairing carrying Zinchenko and with White overlapping. It's not really comparable to compare breaking up that partnership seemingly for no benefit vs clearly upgrading on a keeper whose errors actually cost us at the tail end of 2 consecutive seasons.

1macca1

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Surely there is a difference between replacing one player, and disrupting a partnership? Are you arguing that we should permanently replace Gabriel? I think we'll permanently replace Ramsdale. Not sure I see the correlation here.
Keepers aren’t playing a separate game, they have partnerships with the rest of the team too. I think I answered my thoughts on your second question with a direct reply to you in this thread about an hour ago.

1macca1

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Ramsdale was a statistically middle of the pack goalkeeper last season. Gabriel and Saliba were a statistically elite partnership last season. If I'm not mistaken we had the 3rd best defensive record in the league until Saliba got injured and the 2 teams ahead of us at that time were Newcastle who sit in a deep block and City who have 80% of the ball and Rodri sitting in front of 4 CBs out of possession.

We played the highest line in the league and our CBs had less cover and more responsibility than pretty much any other CB pairing and they were still an elite defensive pairing carrying Zinchenko and with White overlapping. It's not really comparable to compare breaking up that partnership seemingly for no benefit vs clearly upgrading on a keeper whose errors actually cost us at the tail end of 2 consecutive seasons.
It feels a bit off to use a statistic to praise 2 certain players on a defensive record but beat a keeper with a stick using the same metric.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Keepers aren’t playing a separate game, they have partnerships with the rest of the team too. I think I answered my thoughts on your second question with a direct reply to you in this thread about an hour ago.
Well, we'll just have to agree to disagree. For me I'm not seeing the similarity with replacing one player and in the start of the season disrupting a central defence.

Still, it is the manager's call. It is his neck that is on the line if the results are not up to scratch. So far you'd have to say he's done the business resultwise for us.

Latest posts

Top Bottom