<

William Saliba: Locked Up In The Changing Room

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by razörist, Aug 18, 2020.

?

Who?

1. Van Dijk

17 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. Saliba

89 vote(s)
    76.7%
  3. Maguire

10 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. BigPoppaPump

BigPoppaPump Points Out The Obvious

I don't think anyone viewed him as a saviour for CB that's just an exaggeration, people thought we got an elite young talent that would turn world class. I'm pretty sure we all thought he'd be good enough to play Europa at least though, he was starting for St Etienne.

This idea we have to protect him from the fans is so silly, he isn't playing because Arteta doesn't think he's good enough not to protect him from anything. Not even being registered in the Europa squad was disappointing.

2. Macho

Macho Not Here For The Athletic's BS Trusted

It's not silly, look at our player threads not named Tierney, our fans are not the most reasonable at all. If this guy made mistakes, most posters on here would be confused and write him off immediately.

No, not crying over Pepe - he is not working out but he is older and a lot more aloof and can probably handle it all a bit better.

In the original Saliba thread a lot of people fully expected this 19 year old to come in and start. The expectations were very high and unrealistic.

I am very confident that the only reason he wasn't registered is because we fully expected him to go on loan which I tried to explain in my previous post. I don't think its cause he is stinking up training but who knows.

3. BigPoppaPump

If Arteta is choosing his team based on Arsenamania's opinions then it's hopeless we might as well all quit right now.

He isn't playing because Arteta doesn't think he's up to it, I doubt it has to do with fans expectations, no one really expects a 19 year old to be a first team regular but I think it's fair to expect to him play at least after he was starting for St Etienne and we paid 35m for him.

4. truth_hurts

truth_hurts Well-Known Member

He should be playing tonight. The clubs decision to omit him is absolutely criminal.

Outside of u23 games and Carabao Cup matches, I don't see where Saliba starts. He must be looking at Fofana at Leicester and be thinking 'What the ****?'.

Taylor Gang Gunners likes this.
  5. krengon

krengon One Arsene Wenger Trusted

Not selecting him for Europa makes no sense.. Those games are easier than what he's used to playing, he can't be that far away surely.

celestis likes this.
  6. Macho

They thought he was going on loan though until the very last minute :lol:

Am I missing something here? Why don't people get this

7. truth_hurts

Have you seen the squad?

8. Macho

Have you seen Saliba?

9. GDeep™

GDeep™ Dissociating

You could play CB in the EL, it’s pub football :rofl:

American_Gooner, celestis and krengon like this.
  10. krengon

krengon One Arsene Wenger Trusted

I'm allergic to defending mate :lol:

Seriously though, this is going to end up a wasted year for him, what a shame.. from his interviews it looked like he was aiming for a starting position this season, to end up just playing u-23 football must be hard to take.

American_Gooner likes this.
  11. Arsenal1508

Arsenal1508 Mods are unethical! Ozil, come assist me please!

Will Arteta ever address this bizarre decision.

Seems like Park signibg right now.

12. BigPoppaPump

Exactly, people keep telling me playing him would be bad for his confidence because of fans expectations. Surely going from playing in the first team to u23 is even worse?

celestis and krengon like this.
  13. truth_hurts

Not very much of him, but could probably justify his inclusion much more easily than say James Hillson.

14. Taylor Gang Gunners

Taylor Gang Gunners Say Yeh or You're Making The List Trusted

Leaving him out was an extremely daft decision which I can't comprehend or support.

15. celestis

celestis Arsenal-Mania Veteran Moderator

Cedric is qualified to answer this

BigPoppaPump likes this.
  16. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

17. AberGooner

AberGooner Well-Known Member

I watched one full game of Saliba's last season in a 1-0 win over Lyon in the league and he looked outstanding. Can't say I've seen anymore of him than that but for young defender to be starting every week in a top European league is quite unusual without there being something about him.

Very strange that he isn't being used in these group games to get experience.

18. Macho

lol but people don't read

If there's a chance the boy is going on loan and the deadline ends before the domestic window ended, why would you register him for Europa league? it's only group stages as well its not a travesty.

Pyres7 and American_Gooner like this.
  19. gamechannel

gamechannel Well-Known Member

So.. we spent 27 million on a player whos not ready for first team football.. what are we? Barcelona or Bayern?

20. Macho

He was always for the future.

He missed a year of football due to injury, personal reasons and French league ending early last season.

He probably would have been ready for our cup games if things went smoother.