• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Saliba: Here to Stay ✍️

Who?

• Van Dijk

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Saliba

Votes: 243 84.4%
  • Maguire

Votes: 14 4.9%

• Total voters

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
Saliba has a genuine chance at holding down a regular starting spot next season. Holding will probably be favored over him due to experience, but he has a shot at it. Just completed his second season in Ligue 1 as a regular starter. Looks so composed in his Nice highlights. I think his mate Fofana has just put to bed any idea that he's too young to be given a starting spot, also.
Anyone who watches ligue1 over the past few seasons will tell u that Saliba is good enough to play in the PL. His talent is clearly evident, its such a no brainer. To not even play him in the EL given some of the dross we played there, is unforgivable, IMO. I haven't heard a single person being able to conjure up a reasonable defense for why Arteta treated him like he did.

krengon

One Arsène Wenger
Trusted ⭐

Pretty obvious he's not rated, he'll have to play out of his mind and force Arteta's hand in preseason I guess.

berric

Established Member

Player:Trossard
It's just BS talk from Arteta for low IQ people.

The guy's gone. It doesn't take "being watched at close hand" to determine the guy is already better than Mustafi and Mari,has a higher ceiling than Holding and probably Luiz as well.

They are just cooling the things down before they inevitably sell. Make no mistake, we're not Chelsea. We can't afford to lose the likes of KDB, Salah, Lukaku just because some coach doesn't rate them.

The damage that Arteta and Edu already did will take years to rectify. Another disaster class like that and it's bye-bye to any sort of top-to-mid-tier European club status.

BobP

Memri Fan
I think I've been pretty measured and balanced in my criticisms of Arteta but his handling of this situation has been both dreadful and disgraceful, from start to finish.

Imagine preferring an Albanian calamity, an aging clown, and a CB more suited to BruceBall to one of the most gifted French CBs of his generation.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle

Pretty obvious he's not rated, he'll have to play out of his mind and force Arteta's hand in preseason I guess.
It’s funny, some people seem to believe it’s personal with Saliba… I don’t know why this is. I mean, if he is as good as everybody says he is, then there is a very good chance that he will be involved next season.
Does anyone really think that he’s so unrated by staff that we will attempt to cut our losses and sell him for 10 million or something just because... There is a chunk of logic missing here.

balthazar

come on! He'll have to earn his place like everyone else. If he is as good as we all think he is, he shall soon make himself undroppable.

Last edited:

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

He's not going to be part of the first team next season. Arteta has already made up his mind.

Liverpool just got an Injury prone konate who isn't even better than Saliba for £35m and our manager was on his knees begging Mustafi to extend ffs.

Last edited:

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

It’s funny, some people seem to believe it’s personal with Saliba… I don’t know why this is. I mean, if he is as good as everybody says he is, then there is a very good chance that he will be involved next season.
Does anyone really think that he’s so unrated by staff that we will attempt to cut our losses and sell him for 10 million or something just because... There is a chunk of logic missing here.

Tbh, if you said that at the beginning of the season just gone I'd have agreed with you.

But the way Arteta behaves with certain players does make one raise an eyebrow, or two or an imaginary third or fourth. I mean if Saliba didn't get much of a kick next season would you really be surprised?

People will then rush to make excuses for Arteta ala Willian but then in the end was it wrong to suggest that he wasn't worth it (Willian I'm referring to)? No.

Managers are not infallible and that applies heavily to Arteta.

But for now let's see how it plays out as he might be involved next season (fingers crossed he is).

Last edited:

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Arteta wont be the first manager to let a young talent go and the club regret it. The idea that mari is worth to persist with than 30 million young talent is joke. even if he is rough round edges. we spent that money on him knowing young talents need nurturing and game time to reach full potential. Did we think we were getting finished article when we signed 18 year old CB.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
The worst part of this is that Saliba is the only ball playing CB we have, which is a must have when playing from the back as we do. While I don't think Holding is the worst defender, he is definitely not suited for this style and his subpar passing makes us struggle against high pressing, most often losing the ball by kicking it forward.

This would be a situation where the club shouldn't even ask Arteta about his opinion on Saliba, the boy simply needs to come back and play from the start for a year before we make any decisions. Arteta's opinion is completely irrelevant this summer over any important decisions the club needs to make, he is already on a borrowed time here after some absolutely shocking decision making and results following those decisions

Last edited:

Bloodbather

Established Member

The worst part of this is that Saliba is the only ball playing CB we have
I don't think this is true, actually. Gabriel was a ball playing CB for Lille, and has shown glimpses that he can be one for us also. Needs more confidence, though, which he might get with more experience at this level.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I don't think this is true, actually. Gabriel was a ball playing CB for Lille, and has shown glimpses that he can be one for us also. Needs more confidence, though, which he might get with more experience at this level.
Yeah, actually I agree with that, Gabriel looks very decent on the ball as well and his passing looks very positive. We should definitely build their partnership from this summer, and I don't think any substantial investment in Holding/Mari is worth the effort

Monstar-Gunn4r

Established Member
Why was he starting Mustafi when Saliba was rotting in the reserve?

That's what nobody has been able to answer and that's what those ***** journalists like Chris Wheatley and David Ornstein are too scared to ask him.
Same reason ESR only got to play because of injuries, Martinelli barely gets a chance and Nelson has been wasted... Arteta only thrusts journeymen who have already played in premier league team before.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Yeah, actually I agree with that, Gabriel looks very decent on the ball as well and his passing looks very positive. We should definitely build their partnership from this summer, and I don't think any substantial investment in Holding/Mari is worth the

Yeah, I'd say Gabriel and Mari are quite comfortable on the ball (emphasis on the quite) though they are no David Luiz in that respect.

But even then, what is 100% without a doubt is that Saliba would be our only right footed CB that's both comfortable on the ball and crucially athletic.

YMMV with Chambers in terms of his passing ability but he's definitely not as athletic as Saliba.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

The problem is logic and Arsenal football club don't go hand in hand.

For example we signed Cedric, a guy that was meant to cover the RB/LB positions, but when both of our starters in that position were injured/out of favour, we play a failed CB and our most consistent midfielder instead of him in the most important two games of the season.

The club do stupid and reckless things all of the time.

Latest posts

Top Bottom