• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Saliba: Here to Stay ✍️

Who?

• Van Dijk

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Saliba

Votes: 243 84.4%
  • Maguire

Votes: 14 4.9%

• Total voters

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
They spent similar on Soyuncu who played only the six games in his first season.

They spent 19m on Soyuncu. They spent 30m Fofana. Vastly different amounts.

Soyuncu signed in August and started to make the first team PL squad on the 22nd October. That match was against us he was on the bench. After that he goes on to make the bench not every single game but most of the games. He plays 6 PL games and 2 cup games but is clearly part of the first team squad within 6-8 weeks of arriving.

At the time Leciester had Maguire and Morgan with Jonny Evans as back up. Soyuncu was basically 4th choice centre back.

It didnt take Soyuncu a year in the under 23s to adapt to the demands of the PL. Saliba has come in touted as one of the best young centre backs in world football. And hes about our 9th choice centre half.

Whatever way you look at that its poor business for a team that desperately needs help and quality now to drop 30m on a player who seems still maybe another year or two away from being ready is poor. That 30m get Aouar over the line and we have a player to improve the first team now. Not when it's too late.

Tom349

Soyuncu signed in August and started to make the first team PL squad on the 22nd October. That match was against us he was on the bench. After that he goes on to make the bench not every single game but most of the games. He plays 6 PL games and 2 cup games but is clearly part of the first team squad within 6-8 weeks of arriving.

At the time Leciester had Maguire and Morgan with Jonny Evans as back up. Soyuncu was basically 4th choice centre back.

It didnt take Soyuncu a year in the under 23s to adapt to the demands of the PL. Saliba has come in touted as one of the best young centre backs in world football. And hes about our 9th choice centre half.

Whatever way you look at that its poor business for a team that desperately needs help and quality now to drop 30m on a player who seems still maybe another year or two away from being ready is poor. That 30m get Aouar over the line and we have a player to improve the first team now. Not when it's too late.

19m is a significant investment. Fofana may have been a greater investment but it lacks context. Leicester spent only slightly less on Soyuncu than they did on Maddison and Perriera who walked into their side, while we don't know how much on the transfer fee was up front. While St.Etienne had only just recently signed Fofana to a contract extension that bumped his price up. Simply comparing their transfer fee doesn't simply indicate the investment made in a player or the expectations of said player internally upon their arrival.

He completed the 90 four times in a side that had 3 CB's ahead of him. To say that he didn't have a transition year regardless of playing with U23 or being on the bench is completely wrong. A bit different to Saliba who has to contend with Luiz, Holding, Gabriel, Mari, Musafi, Sokratis with others like Marvopanos out on loan.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

It isnt poor business though is it? If you actually thought about it. Which you clearly haven't.

We didn't pay £30M up front so for starters that money wouldn't get Aouar over the line. I think we're paying something like £5M-6M a year for him. So it isnt a waste of money in any way. Especially if he becomes one of the best centre backs in the world.

You're one of the most impatient people I've ever met. You are deffo one of those guys who texts 10 times in a row if they arent responded to after 5 minutes.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
It isnt poor business though is it? If you actually thought about it. Which you clearly haven't.

We didn't pay £30M up front so for starters that money wouldn't get Aouar over the line. I think we're paying something like £5M-6M a year for him. So it isnt a waste of money in any way. Especially if he becomes one of the best centre backs in the world.

You're one of the most impatient people I've ever met. You are deffo one of those guys who texts 10 times in a row if they arent responded to after 5 minutes.

It's still 30m. Which club in world football spends 30m for a player who goes into your under 23 squad? Especially what mid table team does it?

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
It's still 30m. Which club in world football spends 30m for a player who goes into your under 23 squad? Especially what mid table team does it?

Bro we've spent £240M in two summers, it really doesn't matter. If he comes good whats the problem? I'd rather bed him in for next season.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
19m is a significant investment. Fofana may have been a greater investment but it lacks context. Leicester spent only slightly less on Soyuncu than they did on Maddison and Perriera who walked into their side, while we don't know how much on the transfer fee was up front. While St.Etienne had only just recently signed Fofana to a contract extension that bumped his price up. Simply comparing their transfer fee doesn't simply indicate the investment made in a player or the expectations of said player internally upon their arrival.

He completed the 90 four times in a side that had 3 CB's ahead of him. To say that he didn't have a transition year regardless of playing with U23 or being on the bench is completely wrong. A bit different to Saliba who has to contend with Luiz, Holding, Gabriel, Mari, Musafi, Sokratis with others like Marvopanos out on loan.

19m is significant. Again I repeat Soyuncu clearly was bought as a young player who would ultimately take the place of Morgan down the line. However when they bought him they bought him to be a member of the first team squad. That year. Not in 1 year or 2 years or after a season with the under 23s.

Soyuncu didnt have a "transition" year. He signed in August and was part of the first team from October. He may not have played a lot but he was trusted to be on the bench in case he was needed. He wasnt signed to play under 23 football or to be loaned to brentford or whatever.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Bro we've spent £240M in two summers, it really doesn't matter. If he comes good whats the problem? I'd rather bed him in for next season.

My problem is we signed a defender for 30m. We loaned him for a season. Yes Covid interrupted it. We then decided he wasnt ready for first team football at Arsenal nor games against Dundalk. Because he needs another year transition. Assuming this is the case he is likely to go to France in January. Play 15 matches in France. That's 2 years gone.

Then if he does come back to us in his 3rd year hes probably going to need some more adjustments and work to play the way Mikel wants. That's a 3rd year. He then has 2 years left on his contract and we have to renew again.

I can understand City throwing 30m on a young player and seeing where he is in 2 years. But a team that is mid table cannot afford to be making these mistakes.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
19m is significant. Again I repeat Soyuncu clearly was bought as a young player who would ultimately take the place of Morgan down the line. However when they bought him they bought him to be a member of the first team squad. That year. Not in 1 year or 2 years or after a season with the under 23s.

Soyuncu didnt have a "transition" year. He signed in August and was part of the first team from October. He may not have played a lot but he was trusted to be on the bench in case he was needed. He wasnt signed to play under 23 football or to be loaned to brentford or whatever.

Just rephrase a bit and you're suddenly right. Soyuncu did have what I'd call a sort of transition year: You're a young, new signing, there's a couple of older/still better guys in front of you, takes a bit of time to get to the bench, then again a bit of time to start a game and you won't be a deadset starter in your new team that season, but you are part of it and grow into it.

Saliba it seems has been the record signing for Arsenal's U23. I wouldn't call that a transitional year at all. If someone had told me they sign me, let me play another season at my current club, then bring me in to have a sort of settling in/transitional year I'd fully expect being a solid part of the first team and while not being a starter make the bench often, get a few minutes here and there, maybe at some point a start in the EL - not being a U23 player in a youth league. I'd push for a move if someone did that to me as a highly rated CB talent from France.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

They can’t point to any club that spent 30 million on player and 18 months after the deal was agreed he plays u23 football. Also for the people saying be patient and he is young. If we knew what we know now. Forget 30 million would anyone say even 20 million for him would be good ie he may become useful in his 3rd year may being the key word

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Just rephrase a bit and you're suddenly right. Soyuncu did have what I'd call a sort of transition year: You're a young, new signing, there's a couple of older/still better guys in front of you, takes a bit of time to get to the bench, then again a bit of time to start a game and you won't be a deadset starter in your new team that season, but you are part of it and grow into it.

Saliba it seems has been the record signing for Arsenal's U23. I wouldn't call that a transitional year at all. If someone had told me they sign me, let me play another season at my current club, then bring me in to have a sort of settling in/transitional year I'd fully expect being a solid part of the first team and while not being a starter make the bench often, get a few minutes here and there, maybe at some point a start in the EL - not being a U23 player in a youth league. I'd push for a move if someone did that to me as a highly rated CB talent from France.

My point was Leciester didnt buy Fofana nor Soyunu to send them on loans and under 23 football. They scouted them and seen they could be ready for the odd match and with abit of development the following year be ready.

Basically we should have done what Leciester did with Soyuncu. And we had more opportunities. Saliba could have played one or two EL games, maybe CC game. Maybe in and around the squad but not making first team. Learn English, be fully immersed to Artetas demands and tactics. He would have made minimal contribution this year but would be better prepared for next year. Also language, culture etc been adapted.

Instead hes going to go back to France, training under a different manager, speaking French getting comfortable again under a less demanding manager more than likely. Yes he will get first team football. But he could maybe learn more here. Its only my opinion.

But one thing we can all agree on is it's been terribly handled by the club.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

My point was Leciester didnt buy Fofana nor Soyunu to send them on loans and under 23 football. They scouted them and seen they could be ready for the odd match and with abit of development the following year be ready.

Basically we should have done what Leciester did with Soyuncu. And we had more opportunities. Saliba could have played one or two EL games, maybe CC game. Maybe in and around the squad but not making first team. Learn English, be fully immersed to Artetas demands and tactics. He would have made minimal contribution this year but would be better prepared for next year. Also language, culture etc been adapted.

Instead hes going to go back to France, training under a different manager, speaking French getting comfortable again under a less demanding manager more than likely. Yes he will get first team football. But he could maybe learn more here. Its only my opinion.

But one thing we can all agree on is it's been terribly handled by the club.
Sending him to France means the club is preparing to cut their losses. He goes back to his home country and shines and value go up. If they really want to invest in him, wouldn’t learning English, play English football and get used to living in England be needed? Like send him to loan somewhere in England

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
They can’t point to any club that spent 30 million on player and 18 months after the deal was agreed he plays u23 football. Also for the people saying be patient and he is young. If we knew what we know now. Forget 30 million would anyone say even 20 million for him would be good ie he may become useful in his 3rd year may being the key word

Especially a club that is dropping like the titanic where we need first teamers to improve us. Not pipe dreams of Varane in 2024.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Sending him to France means the club is preparing to cut their losses. He goes back to his home country and shines and value go up. If they really want to invest in him, wouldn’t learning English, play English football and get used to living in England be needed? Like send him to loan somewhere in England

That's what I would do. But it seems that the club and Arteta havent a clue. Sending him to France. Cant see what's wrong with top championship club. Didnt do Mount and Abraham any harm.

All smells of poor handling. God only knows what the player himself feels playing for under 23s alongside 32 year old Sokratis.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

That's what I would do. But it seems that the club and Arteta havent a clue. Sending him to France. Cant see what's wrong with top championship club. Didnt do Mount and Abraham any harm.

All smells of poor handling. God only knows what the player himself feels playing for under 23s alongside 32 year old Sokratis.
Yeah, but they will say what do we know. We just fans and they are the experts. Except the likes of arteta/edu has no history to point to for anyone to say they know what they doing or they done this or that before. People love to blame Kroeber, but our fall is from incompetent management

Ibadan

Thread Bump Police
If someone had told me they sign me, let me play another season at my current club, then bring me in to have a sort of settling in/transitional year I'd fully expect being a solid part of the first team and while not being a starter make the bench often, get a few minutes here and there, maybe at some point a start in the EL - not being a U23 player in a youth league. I'd push for a move if someone did that to me as a highly rated CB talent from France.
Agreed... this is a player that was trusted to play with and against men at the age of 18. It's been disrespectful to Saliba's experience and quality to ask him to play with kids.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩

Chuckle brothers out in force here.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Chuckle brothers out in force here.

Chelsea with loads of £ sign a young promising defender for free and loan him out. Arsenal a team with limits regarding money sign a 30m defender and send him to play with Sokratis in the under 23s. Makes perfect sense doesnt it.

You cant call a thing like it is. Think you literally just hang around here waiting to pick arguments with people and trying to insult them. Hence how I knew you were part of the young generation on here. Immature by nature. Probably still a student living of Mum and Dad.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Main man has spoken...

Latest posts

Top Bottom