• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Saliba: Here to Stay ✍️

Who?

• Van Dijk

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Saliba

Votes: 241 84.3%
  • Maguire

Votes: 14 4.9%

• Total voters

boonthegoon

Arteta In by November

Player:Smith-Rowe
Missed this due to the f1. I'm not arteta out yet but will be go arteta out if he sells this guy next summer (I was happy with the loan this season but have figure things out by the summer) Getting his shirt number was bad though. But 5 is still available I think?

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
If he's good enough he won't be a back up? Even if so he's still only 20 y/o.
3 at the back also becomes an option
Because we all know, that Arteta saved himself for another 3 years at least with the win vs. Villa and there is no chance he will drop one of his signings for Saliba, if they won't make error after error.

We need to qualify for international matches and we could rotate a bit. At least we normally don't need the money to sell him, but with 2 years left on his contract we need to have a plan with him.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
The guy hasn't played a minute of competitive football for us and White/Gabriel is clearly our first choice for the long term under Arteta.

We'll see what happens but I'd be very surprised if we see Saliba play for us next season.

Get what you’re saying but you have to take into account who our CBs are. Any team looking to go places needs to have at least 3 very good CBs and we don’t have more than 1/2 (jury still out on White defensively for me). We’re going to need to sign a CB if we let him go and it will be hard to get one better than him. He won’t be sold unless it’s a massive offer.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Get what you’re saying but you have to take into account who our CBs are. Any team looking to go places needs to have at least 3 very good CBs and we don’t have more than 1/2 (jury still out on White defensively for me). We’re going to need to sign a CB if we let him go and it will be hard to get one better than him. He won’t be sold unless it’s a massive offer.

That's true but I see it more of a question of him forcing the move in the summer, even more so with only 2 years left on his deal. Of course we could say no to that but you'd then be risking keeping a player who'd have no interest in renewing.

Given that he hasn't even played a minute for us I'd find it very hard to believe he'd want to come back here when I'm sure there will be a number of clubs around Europe who'd be interested in taking him in for guaranteed minutes. Who's to say Marseille for example don't make CL next season?

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
That's true but I see it more of a question of him forcing the move in the summer, even more so with only 2 years left on his deal. Of course we could say no to that but you'd then be risking keeping a player who'd have no interest in renewing.

Given that he hasn't even played a minute for us I'd find it very hard to believe he'd want to come back here when I'm sure there will be a number of clubs around Europe who'd be interested in taking him in for guaranteed minutes. Who's to say Marseille for example don't make CL next season?

Teams still have to be able to make a worthwhile offer. There’s not a lot of money floating around and it’s a lot easier for us to double/triple his salary than it is for most other clubs to present a suitable offer. Sure he’d probably come here as 3rd choice but if we make Europa league and with domestic cups that’s probably 15 games for him. That’s not taking into account injuries, him playing his way into the starting lineup or a switch of formation.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Teams still have to be able to make a worthwhile offer. There’s not a lot of money floating around and it’s a lot easier for us to double/triple his salary than it is for most other clubs to present a suitable offer. Sure he’d probably come here as 3rd choice but if we make Europa league and with domestic cups that’s probably 15 games for him. That’s not taking into account injuries, him playing his way into the starting lineup or a switch of formation.

Just have to wait and see but like I say I'm highly doubtful we ever see him in an Arsenal shirt. Too much stuff that's went on behind the scenes in my opinion. Even with a change of coach I kind of think he'd want a clean break from us.

NieThePiet

Loves Overhyping Our Rivals
Which top clubs could he get into now?
probably most of the top french clubs (Lyon, Marseille, Monaco) will keep their eye on him if he continue his performances like this.
my hottest take would be Sevilla if Kounde will leave next summer (Chelsea, Real) - then you have clubs like Atletico, Dortmund, Leipzig.

Depends on the price we will ask for him. If he will be a bargain like Guendouzi, it's only the decision, which club he will choose.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

It's just good to see he performs well and gets all the minutes. That's the best we could hope for. In any case we will get more money for him.

Like others have said, which top club would promise him to start now? Not a single one.

To compete as the 3 main CB's in the club you loved as a child, would seem like a nice thing, especially as we have the youngest squad which seems quite promising.

We always have to hope there isn't too big problems behind the scenes, but this is nowhere near the Guendouzi levels imo yet. And he was always a prick (which I liked when he was for us).

Just give him a huge pay rise and a new contract when comes back. We have to remember that in total, Ligue 1 is like the 4th-5th toughest league in the world.

Last edited:

Paperino

It’s Timo Time

It's just good to see he performs well and gets all the minutes. That's the best we could hope for. In any case we will get more money for him.

Like others have said, which top club would promise him to start now? Not a single one.

To compete as the 3 main CB's in the club you loved as a child, would seem like a nice thing, especially as we have the youngest squad which seems quite promising.

We always have to hope there isn't too big problems behind the scenes, but this is nowhere near the Guendouzi levels imo yet.

He is better than White. As Artetas most active defender since HSG was banned you refuse to acknowledge this obviously.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Just have to wait and see but like I say I'm highly doubtful we ever see him in an Arsenal shirt. Too much stuff that's went on behind the scenes in my opinion. Even with a change of coach I kind of think he'd want a clean break from us.

I think so as well. Marseille will be likely in the Champions next year. Saliba will be a in large a contributor into that. I am sure he would love to play in the top European competition, something he will definitely not have with Arsenal in the near future. I would not be surprised if he push for a trade next year.

drippin

Some defenders pocket Messi and Mbappe. Others get turned inside out by Ivan Toney. Nice to know that our club chooses to pay big to replace the former with the latter. Not upsetting at all.
You just don't know how to run a big club?

You would have got into the season with Gabriel-Saliba with Holding as backup.

When Saliba has played 1800 minutes at tops in league before in his career, and having a couple big injuries?

The club bought young promising guys like Ramsdale and White, because they already have played and shown they can handle much physical stress in England.

I would want to minimize the game-time Holding gets (mostly because of acceleration and passing), and get Saliba enough minutes, without our whole season depending on his fitness.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
You just don't know how to run a big club?

You would have got into the season with Gabriel-Saliba with Holding as backup.

When Saliba has played 1800 minutes at tops in league before in his career, and having a couple big injuries?

The club bought young promising guys like Ramsdale and White, because they already have played and shown they can handle much physical stress in England.

I would want to minimize the game-time Holding gets (mostly because of acceleration and passing), and get Saliba enough minutes, without our whole season depending on his fitness.
We are 10th place. 10th. Do you think 10th is where a big club should be? White showed absolutely nothing at Brighton to suggest that he's worth paying 50m for and he's shown nothing here to prove he's worth paying 50m for. There was zero competition for his signature. You have the audacity to suggest the chuckle brothers know about running a big club when part of the reason that Saliba hasn't got the PL experience that you're overvaluing is because the club failed to send him out on loan immediately last season and instead prioritized using players like Holding and Mari in Cup matches where he could have cut his teeth. By the way, prior to Gabriel making his first start for us last season, he had exactly as much PL experience as Saliba, as did Wesley Fofana. Both were rated below Saliba in France and both were handed PL football immediately.

Nobody with eyes and objectivity thinks that Ben White is a better player than William Saliba. Statistically Saliba is better in pretty much every category. He's bigger, stronger, faster and more composed. Gabriel is clearly our best defender and just 18 months ago it was pretty much universally accepted that Saliba was the vastly superior prospect. Never did you see me say that Saliba should have just been handed a role in the first team BUT there is no reason why we should have a player on our books that we paid a decent sized fee for who is performing better than what we have at the club for someone else. That is utter stupidity and if you think that's how a big club should be run then you're daft. Saliba should be at this club, period. Ben White's one extra year of PL experience at Brighton means sweet f*ck all compared to Saliba being head and shoulders above him as a talent. We could easily have brought in an experienced player to give Saliba time to bed in. Instead, he's performing for someone else while an expensive replacement makes a gaffe a game. That is not how well run clubs operate.

Wrighty4eva

Established Member
We are 10th place. 10th. Do you think 10th is where a big club should be? White showed absolutely nothing at Brighton to suggest that he's worth paying 50m for and he's shown nothing here to prove he's worth paying 50m for. There was zero competition for his signature. You have the audacity to suggest the chuckle brothers know about running a big club when part of the reason that Saliba hasn't got the PL experience that you're overvaluing is because the club failed to send him out on loan immediately last season and instead prioritized using players like Holding and Mari in Cup matches where he could have cut his teeth. By the way, prior to Gabriel making his first start for us last season, he had exactly as much PL experience as Saliba, as did Wesley Fofana. Both were rated below Saliba in France and both were handed PL football immediately.

Nobody with eyes and objectivity thinks that Ben White is a better player than William Saliba. Statistically Saliba is better in pretty much every category. He's bigger, stronger, faster and more composed. Gabriel is clearly our best defender and just 18 months ago it was pretty much universally accepted that Saliba was the vastly superior prospect. Never did you see me say that Saliba should have just been handed a role in the first team BUT there is no reason why we should have a player on our books that we paid a decent sized fee for who is performing better than what we have at the club for someone else. That is utter stupidity and if you think that's how a big club should be run then you're daft. Saliba should be at this club, period. Ben White's one extra year of PL experience at Brighton means sweet f*ck all compared to Saliba being head and shoulders above him as a talent. We could easily have brought in an experienced player to give Saliba time to bed in. Instead, he's performing for someone else while an expensive replacement makes a gaffe a game. That is not how well run clubs operate.
👏🏾👏🏾👏🏾

drippin

We are 10th place. 10th. Do you think 10th is where a big club should be? White showed absolutely nothing at Brighton to suggest that he's worth paying 50m for and he's shown nothing here to show he's worth paying 50m for. There was zero competition for his signature. You have the audacity to suggest the chuckle brothers know about running a big club when part of the reason that Saliba hasn't got the PL experience that you're overvaluing is because the club failed to send him out on loan immediately last season and instead prioritized using players like Holding and Mari in Cup matches where he could have cut his teeth. By the way, prior to Gabriel making his first start for us last season, he had exactly as much PL experience as Saliba, as did Wesley Fofana. Both were rated below Saliba in France and both were handed PL football immediately.

You failed to understand, that I didn't comment on many of the things you started to talk about, and assumed I defend "chuckle brothers". I'm sure there have been mistakes made.

I only pointed out, that if you can't understand how we can't depend on a such a CB for a full EPL season, you don't know how to run Arsenal in these kinds of matters. (I don't pretend to know how to run Arsenal myself of course, it's a huge show.)

At the time, I thought Gabriel was more proven prospect, because for example he had played double the minutes than Saliba in the earlier season.

Btw. I remember Gabriel was rumoured to go to United, while for Saliba's signature we had competition from Tottenham. That's levels, but I'm not talking about the ultimate potential, just how proven minutes in top leagues always matter (and Gabriel is a big talent too and has been huge for us this season).

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
You failed to understand, that I didn't comment on many of the things you started to talk about, and assumed I defend "chuckle brothers". I'm sure there have been mistakes made.

I only pointed out, that if you can't understand how we can't depend on a such a CB for a full EPL season, you don't know how to run Arsenal in these kinds of matters. (I don't pretend to know how to run Arsenal myself of course, it's a huge show.)

At the time, I thought Gabriel was more proven prospect, because for example he had played double the minutes than Saliba in the earlier season.

Btw. I remember Gabriel was rumoured to go to United, while for Saliba's signature we had competition from Tottenham. That's levels, but I'm not talking about the ultimate potential, just how proven minutes in top leagues always matter.
Quality matters. Rob Holding has considerably more Premier Leauge football under his belt than Ben White and yet you're comfortable with one playing for us but not the more experienced one because you think that Ben White has better quality. If we signed someone like Varane or even Dunk then ok. We signed a player with BARELY any more PL experience that Saliba and CLEARLY less quality. We wasted resources downgrading a position because one guy was mediocre in the PL before while the other guy has 'only' been EXCELLENT in France. There is no way for you to slice that decision that makes sense. Again, I'd have been fine with the club brining in a significantly more experienced player if that's why they feel Saliba isn't ready. Bringing in a clearly inferior player with a tiny bit more experience is ridiculous and just another in a series of awful decisions made by Arteta and Edu.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom