• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Saliba: Here to Stay ✍️

Who?

• Van Dijk

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Saliba

Votes: 241 84.3%
  • Maguire

Votes: 14 4.9%

• Total voters

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel
Lets hope we at least get a big fee from someone like PSG.

PSG was an initial thought but I'm not sure the history of players making the move from Marseille to there, wouldn't go down well I'd imagine. Possibly Bundesliga as they seem to take a lot of players from Ligue 1 to that league.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Can see every top club in Europe coming in for him. We might not want to sell but he won’t entertain a new contract so we’ll be forced to do a deal, with or without Arteta.

If he has a top season at Marseille can easily see PSG going for him.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
At least he seems to be playing very well, so we should get a big fee for him next summer...hopefully PSG come in for him.

Ideally you want him to return and start, but that point has almost certainly passed at this stage.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
What are the chances of us keeping him if Arteta isn’t manager next summer?

Genuine worry that we are about to lose a potential worldie.
Too much hand-wringing and histrionics going on with Saliba atm, IMO, the reality is that he's still a 20 year old CB, he's still playing in a lesser league, and he's still got loads of evolution ahead of him, especially at the very top level. Look at de Ligt who everyone was talking about 2 years ago, when he had Saliba's age, as the generational talent. He's spent 2 years in Serie A evolving, and now surprise surprise, I see rumours about two of the truly well run football clubs (Chelsea and Madrid), prioritising him for next summer, when he'll be 23. Wrt to CB's evolution I can go down the list, this is just how it is is without exception, from van Dijk to Koulibaly, none of them were hitting their peak at a high level of football before age 23.

I completely believe Saliba will be reincorporated into the squad next summer as our 3rd CB behind Gabriel and White. That will give him a more stable platform to develop in the PL, with two CBs of some level to combine with, and hopefully in 2 or 3 years after we are talking about him like City are talking about Stones now (which, no doubt, Arteta, who is always looking at Guardiola as a template, is seeing City's situation with 3 top CBs and envisioning that--Stones another example of this rule of CBs developing later, btw).

For now, he's a 20 year old CB with massive projection, who is not the best CB in the world nor close to it no matter people's hyperbolic reactions to some Ligue 1 matches, and he's doing what he needs to be doing: playing every game at a decent level of football in a decent league. You could even argue that next season the best thing for his development would be a PL loan, though of course, I, like the rest of us, am anxious to see him in an Arsenal shirt.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Too much hand-wringing and histrionics going on with Saliba atm, IMO, the reality is that he's still a 20 year old CB, he's still playing in a lesser league, and he's still got loads of evolution ahead of him, especially at the very top level. Look at de Ligt who everyone was talking about 2 years ago, when he had Saliba's age, as the generational talent. He's spent 2 years in Serie A evolving, and now surprise surprise, I see rumours about two of the truly well run football clubs (Chelsea and Madrid), prioritising him for next summer, when he'll be 23. Wrt to CB's evolution I can go down the list, this is just how it is is without exception, from van Dijk to Koulibaly, none of them were hitting their peak at a high level of football before age 23.

I completely believe Saliba will be reincorporated into the squad next summer as our 3rd CB behind Gabriel and White. That will give him a more stable platform to develop in the PL, with two CBs of some level to combine with, and hopefully in 2 or 3 years after we are talking about him like City are talking about Stones now (which, no doubt, Arteta, who is always looking at Guardiola as a template, is seeing City's situation with 3 top CBs and envisioning that--Stones another example of this rule of CBs developing later, btw).

For now, he's a 20 year old CB with massive projection, who is not the best CB in the world nor close to it no matter people's hyperbolic reactions to some Ligue 1 matches, and he's doing what he needs to be doing: playing every game at a decent level of football in a decent league. You could even argue that next season the best thing for his development would be a PL loan, though of course, I, like the rest of us, am anxious to see him in an Arsenal shirt.
This would make sense if the plan was to loan him out long term but I don’t think that’s the case.

If they told us that we are going to extend Saliba and that three years on loan was the plan then I’d immediately shut up. The issue seems to be that he’s fallen out with Mikel and seems unlikely to renew.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
This would make sense if the plan was to loan him out long term but I don’t think that’s the case.

If they told us that we are going to extend Saliba and that three years on loan was the plan then I’d immediately shut up. The issue seems to be that he’s fallen out with Mikel and seems unlikely to renew.
I don't think a couple of tongue and cheek posts by a 19 year old boy on instagram are proof of him falling out with Mikel at all. It's proof of him being a 19 year old boy and a top football talent and backing his talent, which is just a necessary symptom of being a 19 year old boy with massive ability. (The worrying thing would be if he didn't back himself to these sort of unrealistic levels either. That's what management is for, to understand that it's fine and even good for him to believe this, but to still make the right decisions for his career)

Maybe he's fallen out behind the scenes but I don't get that feeling from the way Arteta talks about him, and otherwise they are handling his development sensibly.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz

I think we have to consider the extenuating circumstances that occurred while trying to plan his development. It only turned into 3 years because of his parents passing and Covid screwing everything up which delayed his 2nd loan.

I don't think it's about moving him on. I just think that a bunch of very unfortunate things happened close together and put wrenches in the initial plan. We can still blame the club for not getting his situation resolved while windows were open and all of that, sure.

Token Yank

Hoping we move Chambers and Mari next year and have Saliba compete for a starting spot. White, Gabriel, Saliba, and Balding would be a good mix of CBs even though I don't like Balding much.

Token Yank

Excellent post.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

RT.

Goonger

I very much hope you are right Abou. I think we all do. The thought of being able to play / choose from White, Gabriel & Saliba is mouth watering. It's also very easy to see why folk are worried that we've damaged the relationship beyond repair. Of course, no one knows how discussions have went between both parties, & how amicable these have been. The fact he's been allowed to go on loan to the club of his choice might give us a small bit of credit.

Ideally, he has a very good season, we welcome him back with open arms regardless of who the manager is, & actually show this guy he is a massive part of our future. Should be offering him a new contract as well when he comes back.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He plays on the right of a 3 at if he stays next season. He should be HG as well which means we can move on 2/3 of Mari, Chambers and Holding (in that order). No reason why it won't be battle to partner him at the end of the day.

MartiSaka

Join my "Occupy A-M" movement here 🗳
I don't think a couple of tongue and cheek posts by a 19 year old boy on instagram are proof of him falling out with Mikel at all. It's proof of him being a 19 year old boy and a top football talent and backing his talent, which is just a necessary symptom of being a 19 year old boy with massive ability. (The worrying thing would be if he didn't back himself to these sort of unrealistic levels either. That's what management is for, to understand that it's fine and even good for him to believe this, but to still make the right decisions for his career)

Maybe he's fallen out behind the scenes but I don't get that feeling from the way Arteta talks about him, and otherwise they are handling his development sensibly.
Yes six months sitting at Arsenal doing nothing and not even being registered for Europa is a good way of handling development. If that was me, I would be done with Arsenal after that; I would know, under the current management/tech director, that Arsenal was not the club for me.

Saliba even tried to appease Arteta by dying his hair blonde, but unfortunately, it seems as if Arteta only likes natural blondes.

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
Mikel has already bungled key players with his management, and should have been gone based on that alone.

Martinez should have been handled far better, Guendouzi could have gone for more money if the right strategy was applied and now we are moving into a situation where Saliba may be gone too.

This is why its so expensive to keep Arteta on, his man management WILL cost us, guaranteed, and we cannot afford to be having Man City like dreams here.

The Arsenal way is you either work with young talent or you sell them on for proper amounts, with a cheaper replacement in tow.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I think he still has ambitions to play for us. I saw an Arsenal themed cake on his Instagram which was nice from him. Gabriel is now established and if White can justify his price tag, we'll have a very experienced third choice, HG player who will have a more settled team and easier acclimatisation than say Gabriel had when he joined.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
I think he still has ambitions to play for us. I saw an Arsenal themed cake on his Instagram which was nice from him. Gabriel is now established and if White can justify his price tag, we'll have a very experienced third choice, HG player who will have a more settled team and easier acclimatisation than say Gabriel had when he joined.
I really want to believe this as well. Saliba will still only be 21 at the start of next season which is still a baby in CB years... In theory he'd be ideal coming back into a more settled squad as an option to displace Mari.

I dunno though... White taking his squad number was pretty brutal and he literally hasn't kicked a ball for us yet competitively. It all points to a falling out behind the scenes unfortunately. Think Tomiyasu will get minutes at CB now as well.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom