<

William Saliba: Prince of all centre backs

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by razörist, Aug 18, 2020.

?

Who?

1. Van Dijk

8 vote(s)
    9.9%
  2. Saliba

66 vote(s)
    81.5%
  3. Maguire

7 vote(s)
    8.6%
  1. Macho

Macho Well-Known Member Trusted

He was always for the future.

He missed a year of football due to injury, personal reasons and French league ending early last season.

He probably would have been ready for our cup games if things went smoother.

2. GDeep™

GDeep™ Dissociating

Still, it’s a signing that will pay off, maybe, in 3-5 years. Wouldn’t have been better to sign someone who can do it today?

3. drippin

drippin Well-Known Member

The transfer fee will be paid in 6 instalments. People are continually making this a bigger deal than it is.

4. Macho

No arguments from me.

Same could be said for requesting Zaha but getting Pepe instead.

Or asking for Nzonzi and getting Torreira.

Basically, the club prioritised younger signings with potentially more trajectory than guys closer to 30. It's yet to work out with one on the bench, one out the squad and one on loan with us hoping he doesn't come back. Another one if you add Guendouzi.

GDeep™ likes this.
  5. GDeep™

GDeep™ Dissociating

I backed the younger signings btw, but none have worked out.

Brett and Macho like this.
  6. Macho

They still can, it just won't be pretty.

7. truth_hurts

truth_hurts Well-Known Member

It's a complete travesty. The group stages are the ideal testing ground for young players near the first team.

Not completing paperwork is incompetence. None of this is acceptable from the club.

8. Macho

I can't cry about this soz bro.

Saliba will most probably come good in the end, I wouldn't fret.

truth_hurts likes this.
  9. Batman

Batman Bruce Wayne

This is why we can't have nice things. You have ignorant knobs here questioning why a teenager may not be ready for PL football when just in recent memory we've seen more hyped prospects like De Ligt look hopeless in their introductory moments in worse leagues. The reality is that he's being protected from those same knobs foaming at the mouth when he inevitably makes a mistake or looks out of his depth as virtually all young defenders do. It's not a crime or scandal if he still needs some time to develop into what Arteta wants from a CB here.

IchirotoV2, Red London, Beksl and 3 others like this.
  10. Arsenal1508

Arsenal1508 Mods are unethical! Ozil, come assist me please!

Should have waited to buy him then
    He was developing much better in the French League

11. BigPoppaPump

BigPoppaPump Contrarian

He's not being protected from anything. People over estimate how much influence fans have, he's not being played because Arteta doesn't think he's ready. Going from first team to u23 is way worse for his confidence than some losers on the internet chatting sh*t.

truth_hurts and krengon like this.
  12. Big Poppa

Big Poppa Well-Known Member Trusted

We were trying to beat off other clubs who were circling. It was a snooze lose situation. Same thing with Pepe when Napoli and Bayern were chasing him.

These players’ agents just play big clubs off against each other to extort the biggest possible fee.

Macho likes this.
  13. Arsenal1508

Arsenal1508 Mods are unethical! Ozil, come assist me please!

You dont spend 27 million for players not even in the team.

Gooner1988TK likes this.
  14. Gunners1616

Gunners1616 Well-Known Member

This situation is turning to a circus for Arteta. Holding out, Luiz out, and we even play Mustafi ahead of Saliba. Meanwhile Fofana who is just as young and inexperienced is bossing it for Leicester....

At some point we gonna have to question Arteta football knowledge. He is getting exposed for so many bad choices.

Jae likes this.
  15. REWB

REWB Member

cant believe Fofana is better than Saliba :facepalm:

16. Jae

Jae Well-Known Member

Doesn't like youth players, just like Guardiola.

17. REWB

REWB Member

Saka......

18. dka91

dka91 Well-Known Member

Honest answers here.

Do you think Saka would've broken through had Arteta been managing from the beginning of the 19/20 season?

Because surprisingly he seems even more conservative than Emery when it comes to bias towards experienced players.

Then again perhaps I'm not giving Emery enough credit in that regard.

Impact likes this.
  19. Jae

Jae Well-Known Member

One player. Who is an exceptional talent and at this moment in time the first name of the team sheet. He can't not play him.

Nketiah at a stretch but not really.

20. NieThePiet

NieThePiet Loves Overhyping Our Rivals

Fofana hasn't had a family tragedy...