• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

William Saliba: Here to Stay ✍️

Who?

• Van Dijk

Votes: 31 10.8%
  • Saliba

Votes: 241 84.3%
  • Maguire

Votes: 14 4.9%

• Total voters

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Can't believe there are people still supporting decision not to play Saliba and to loan him for a year. I'll never understand them and people who rate Xhaka.
I'm not supporting not to play Saliba for the 6 months here, but after that I'm supporting the loans like I have explained above.

Also I rate Xhaka more than Elneny, and see Xhaka as a good squad player as we haven't had good midfield depth for ages.

Many people here really can't comprehend what they read, they just decide what the text says based on their biases.

Squillaci

I'm not supporting not to play Saliba for the 6 months here, but after that I'm supporting the loans like I have explained above.

Also I rate Xhaka more than Elneny, and see Xhaka as a good squad player as we haven't had good midfield depth for ages.

Many people here really can't comprehend what they read, they just decide what the text says based on their biases.
And I can't understand why. You can explain it million times, it still won't make any sense.
It's clear him being loaned out is of personal reasons, not football reasons.

Camus said everything that needs to be said on this topic few pages back.
Everything else is just blind defending of bad decisions.

drippin

And I can't understand why. You can explain it million times, it still won't make any sense.
It's clear him being loaned out is of personal reasons, not football reasons.

Camus said everything that needs to be said on this topic few pages back.
Everything else is just blind defending of bad decisions.
I can rephrase: "It looks like him being loaned out of personal reasons, but there is a logic which says it can be of football reasons".

Like AbouCuellar says, we can't know currently. So obviously you just believe in something and that blinds you to anything else.

I'm not even defending Arteta here per se, but you see it that way. I just explain how I see why he was loaned out, and how it can make sense.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Can't believe there are people still supporting decision not to play Saliba and to loan him for a year. I'll never understand them and people who rate Xhaka.

I think it's a combination of two things.

Firstly people take a look at his age and just assume he's not ready yet because; who is ready to play CB in the PL at 20 or whatever that means.

Secondly it's blatantly obvious they haven't seen him play so whilst they might be sincere in supporting the decisions we've made as a club (and to be honest it's not illogical to be loaning out your 19/20 yr old CB), when you actually see him and compare him to what we have it makes the decision absolutely baffling.

Put it this way, before I watched him more consistently, my biggest frustration was that he didn't get any chances at all when he should've atleast featured in the league cup and the Europa League. But I could stomach the loans.

Now that I've actually seen him over several games; it's painfully obvious he is a much better defender than Mari (and Mustafi for last season).

He's also better than Holding and should form part of the young trio of White, Gabriel and himself.

He's good enough that we should've kept him here and should be developing him "in house" and he should be featuring heavily this season.

But well, I doubt that will happen because we're not going to recall him so we can only hope that he's reintegrated when he returns.

drippin

He's also better than Holding and should form part of the young trio of White, Gabriel and himself.
That's part of my point. I want Saliba to surely start a full season at his age, not being a part of a trio of CB's in a back four.

Also I want a duo of CB's to start, which now happens to be Gabriel & White. If either get injured, we have Holding who can do adequate job, but will play Gabriel & White every time it's possible.

Next season Saliba can come and contest for the starting spot with those two when he has shown he can even start a full season at mens level. And then we would have great depth in the defence. They're all very young so need a lot of game-time.

Let's just hope there aren't too big issues behind the scenes.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
At least you owned up to your ****.

So if by logic Leicester has a better team than Arsenal, so why is it that Saliba can't start for us but Wesley Fofana who Saliba was more highly rated than is a starter for Leicester? I'm not even crying to be a starter. Just make him part of the squad. If Mustafi, Mari and Cedric can start games for, surely Saliba can?
Yeah I tend to own my sh!t
Its not **** though just reality & many refuse to see it.

I dunno about Saliba. Maybe Arteta thought he was too young to play for us in back 4 as starter & needed more experience.
We did apparently want him to go on loan to a prem club but the kid prefers to stay in France. Perhaps that was seen as better for his development than a few appearances here?
I would love to see him have a great injury free season gain more experience & be here next year. Is he even 21 yet?

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Also I want a duo of CB's to start, which now happens to be Gabriel & White. If either get injured, we have Holding who can do adequate job, but will play Gabriel & White every time it's possible.

Next season Saliba can come and contest for the starting spot with those two when he has shown he can even start a full season at mens level.
Yeah but he's already featured heavily in Ligue 1.

Last season it was 6 months, sure, but he pretty much played every single minute. Transfermarkt has him down for 20 games at OGC Nice appearing for 1800 minutes (so he didn't actually miss a minute), that's a hell of a lot.

But I know you'll argue that a "full season" means so much more but I don't agree; he's already proven enough in Ligue 1 imo.

As for your first paragraph, I mean surely it'll be similar next season, infact by then presumably Gabriel & White would already be established which might make it harder for Saliba to get in so I don't really understand that argument.

Anyway, at this point I'm truly done with arguing about Saliba, I mean when you've got Wenger making comments like this (credit to American_Gooner for originally linking it):

And you're still not convinced then fair enough I don't think anything anyone will say will change your mind.

But you aren't going to convince me that we have not royally mismanaged this player.

Blankety Blank

emoji merchant
Well stop using terms to try and make it seem like you know what you're talking about, injury prone is sustained injuries over a long term career, Saliba is no where near "Injury prone" yet 😆.
Saliba has not had a long term career but on the small sample size he has suffered with injury issues. Hopefully this is just down to bad luck or his body developing?
Think drippin was just pointing out there have been injuries & you are arguing about semantics tbh.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Last season it was 6 months, sure, but he pretty much played every single minute. Transfermarkt has him down for 20 games at OGC Nice appearing for 1800 minutes (so he didn't actually miss a minute), that's a hell of a lot.

But I know you'll argue that a "full season" means so much more but I don't agree; he's already proven enough in Ligue 1 imo.

As for your first paragraph, I mean surely it'll be similar next season, infact by then presumably Gabriel & White would already be established which might make it harder for Saliba to get in so I don't really understand that argument.

Anyway, at this point I'm truly done with arguing about Saliba, I mean when you've got Wenger making comments like this (credit to American_Gooner for originally linking it):

And you're still not convinced then fair enough I don't think anything anyone will say will change your mind.

But you aren't going to convince me that we have not royally mismanaged this player.
And when we give playing time someone like Mari, you really have to wonder... Mari even looked poor against Wimbledon... No way Saliba isn't an upgrade on him.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

I think Mikels has been protecting him when you read between the lines.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba

Been watching him too and he looks athletic, tall and good with his feet. White was a waste of £50m, but let the Arteta supporters spin a different story. When Arteta's done he'll be back hopefully under a proper manager and we can look forward to that.

Top Bottom