• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Willian: Moving back to Brazil

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Am I the only one rubbed the wrong way by what appears to be a lack of effort? In the latest Arsenal training video at 1:14, he's having a laugh with Pepe and then practically walks around the markers whilst you have others jogging. There's moments in the scrimmages where he's just standing and ball watching. This **** would infuriate me as a competitor as if I was in as bad of form, I'd be busting a lung to prove my worth. I may just be looking into this too harshly, who knows.
I didn't see any lack of effort in training but he just lacks intensity. Elneny, Tierney and Nelson pjsy with vigour which makes him look worse. He seemed to suit Chelsea but for us, his legs have gone. On the pitch, he can't get to the ball abdcwhen he does,he loses it. There's no hope here. Might as well ask a Palace fan to stick a banner outside Emirates for us.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
If he has to play, at least play him in his best position and ask him to do what he's best at. He's a RW, right? So play him there, the whole 'he can be a versatile attacking mid' thing clearly hasn't worked, so drop it.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

He was a great source of frustration at Chelsea amongst their fan base as well, which amplified once Hazard left and he inherited the 10 shirt.

Every couple of games he would offset this with the odd performance where he was the best player on the pitch - he hasn't replicated this odd quirk at Arsenal yet unfortunately.

Fulham opening game is it really.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

He was a great source of frustration at Chelsea amongst their fan base as well, which amplified once Hazard left and he inherited the 10 shirt.

Every couple of games he would offset this with the odd performance where he was the best player on the pitch - he hasn't replicated this odd quirk at Arsenal yet unfortunately.

Fulham opening game is it really.
Heard the same from a Brazilian mate, that he runs hot and cold. That he simply often really doesn’t show up but just phones it in. From just seeing Willian on and off I wasn’t sure what to make of it. But from what we have seen so far there isn’t much reason to be optimistic.

MikeVinna

Established Member
Have you actually watched him? Even if we ignored the unsanctioned travel that he wasn't actually even punished for, what do you see that resembles effort? He loses the ball nearly every time he gets it, kills off attacks spinning aimlessly and is in absolutely no rush to win it back when it happens. He's semi retired and the idiots at the club are financing it. He's comfortably one of the dumbest most ill conceived signings we've ever made and this is a club that spent 70m on Xhaka and Mustafi in a summer.

Spot on.

The amount of times you see him just standing there a few yards away from players actually trying to win the ball is ridiculous.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
If he has to play, at least play him in his best position and ask him to do what he's best at. He's a RW, right? So play him there, the whole 'he can be a versatile attacking mid' thing clearly hasn't worked, so drop it.
This is a good idea in theory, bit that spot is for Saka. The drop off from him to Willian is like the drop from the top of Everest. Willian is actually worse than Özil

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
This is a good idea in theory, bit that spot is for Saka. The drop off from him to Willian is like the drop from the top of Everest. Willian is actually worse than Özil

So play him at RW if Saka needs a rest. I'm just saying if Willian is on the pitch it might as well be in his best position, cos he's completely useless everywhere else.

Also is Saka a RW now? I have no idea. How do we even go about our squad planning for next season, it's still early days but going into next season we should try to have a clear role for him instead of just "wherever cos he's good everywhere".

GDeep™

League is very weak
I don’t get it, he looked crap for Chelsea last season too :lol:.

Put a few crosses in and scored a few penalties and you guys got hyped up.

You never sign players this old because they could get old over night. Gary Neville said in one game his legs were gone and he knew he was done.

Why sign a 32 year old and give him a 3 year deal?

GDeep™

League is very weak
Willian is from the favelas, so I’m happy he’s getting his money still.

Mod edit: this last line was unnecessary

Last edited by a moderator:

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I don’t get it, he looked crap for Chelsea last season too :lol:.

Put a few crosses in and scored a few penalties and you guys got hyped up.

You never sign players this old because they could get old over night. Gary Neville said in one game his legs were gone and he knew he was done.

Why sign a 32 year old and give him a 3 year deal?

This isn’t even true though :lol:

Was Chelsea’s best player post lockdown. Probably his best year there last year.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Apparently he shows passion in training. Must be showing more than Martinelli and Pepe. Guess it doesnt matter that he contributes nothing on the pitch.

I'm convinced that the smartest players now are the ones who turn it on in training since this is the CrossFit, gegenpress generation of football.

This isn’t even true though :lol:

Was Chelsea’s best player post lockdown. Probably his best year there last year.

Playing for one last big payday and guess who the mugs are that gave him one

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

You’ve been saying this for 12 months now. I watched every game, he was spamming crosses and nothing more.

Guy was their main creator and they banged them in last year. Yeah he’s a bum now but he was on it last year.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Why is he getting minutes over Martinelli? Like against Leeds. Doesn’t it make more sense to bring our young Brazilian on and get him going?

Instead we got this crusty Chelsea pensioner getting minutes like we’re some charity.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
So play him at RW if Saka needs a rest. I'm just saying if Willian is on the pitch it might as well be in his best position, cos he's completely useless everywhere else.

Also is Saka a RW now? I have no idea. How do we even go about our squad planning for next season, it's still early days but going into next season we should try to have a clear role for him instead of just "wherever cos he's good everywhere".
Fair enough about playing Willian to rest Saka although I don't think he's good enough to do that, even in his best position.As for Saka's position, we don't want to do an AMN or Theo on him and delay pinning down a position. He's good to great where he is and also intelligent enough to adjust his game down the line.

jus2nang

I'm going to say this is a contender for our worst ever signing...

And yes I remember the likes of Squilacci and Stepanovs....

He's awful. Offers next to nothing.

Melquiades

I think the team and management are really at a loss for what to do with him.

They've basically acknowledged he isn't good enough and he's started 1 PL game since mid-December, but they have so much invested in him and so much time left on his contract they're in a bind. All they can really do is try to talk him up and give him garbage-time minutes and hope he can find his legs, but at some point (likely soon) they're going to have to throw in the towel on even doing that. It's reached the point where he's not just embarrassing himself, he's embarrassing them.

If there were supporters at the stadium jeering him every time he came on or touched the ball (which would 100% be happening without COVID) the situation would be even more difficult. And that will be the case next year.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom