• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Willian: Moving back to Brazil

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
Hm i mean i'm not saying Willian was bad or didn't deserve to play, fair to say he's had an uptick in form (albeit from a very low bar), but why does he get continuity and Pepe doesn't? Just kinda smacks of favouritism tbh

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Still hilarious that he has the highest assist in the team though :lol:
His assists are the main reason why I never watch statistics. Most of them are random things every player does on the pitch, simple 3 yards passes around the box followed by an individual piece of magic that results in a goal, or some wishful crosses that got converted (1/100).
He plays alright though, very good on the ball but creates very little, probably more suited for a different role than being a winger. It's Arteta who frustrates me more than Willian.
The only problem I have with Willian is that he doesn't put any pressure on the defence, it's so easy to defend against him in the final third and our attack looks completely out of ideas every time he plays, that's why I can't stand him on the wing

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
For a winger he does way too little. Really annoyed with how a second fluke assist is justified by people here and, more importantly, Arteta to keep giving him starts.

He keeps the ball in possession, but it's always the safe choice. The rare time he drives at a player he turns for a backward pass when he gets close to the defender.

The two players with the most license to take a risk are the wingers, they are supposed to make things happen, runs behind the defense, taking on players, cutting inside, sending through balls to the striker. He does none of that. When he has time and space he'll whip in a ball, but he'll rarely create that space with a good take-on or something.

Gabriel had so much to do to convert that deep, difficult, high cross.

He had a tidy game, but he's not a 6 recycling the ball from left to right, he's a bloody winger. Pepe makes things happen, did more in 20 minutes against Burnley than Willian did in 70 despite Willian getting a fluke assist.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Hm i mean i'm not saying Willian was bad or didn't deserve to play, fair to say he's had an uptick in form (albeit from a very low bar), but why does he get continuity and Pepe doesn't? Just kinda smacks of favouritism tbh

How many times are people going to ask this? Arteta clearly doesn’t rate or trust Pepe.

GunnerShy

Thought he was poor to be honest. He looks lost against a compact defence.

Got the assist. But Gabriel was 6 meters in the air and on the halfway line when he connected with that cross.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Arteta talks like an A-M poster. Another assist lmao.
lmao mate - he literally sounds like one of the guys on here.

As long as people can see this for what it is and can see that it doesn't necessarily mean the other options are bad - then whatever.

GoonerJeeves

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Maybe my glasses are rose-tinted, but he has improved of late has he not? I'm desperately trying to look for every silver lining in the numerous clouds this season...

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Maybe my glasses are rose-tinted, but he has improved of late has he not? I'm desperately trying to look for every silver lining in the numerous clouds this season...
Definitely.

The effort and opportunities he's been afforded over some others is the bit everybody is struggling with.

He's the manager's signing though and he wants to get the best out of him so, yeah there you go.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Nope not rose tinted he has definitely been better.

But for me personally (and I'm only speaking for myself) he's gone from the equivalent of a sh!t sandwich to a Fanta that someone's p!ssed in. Is it better? Yes, but still not great though.

Last edited:

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Just to try to rationalise his selection as it's a bit unfair on Willian, I do think his superior crossing is why he's in the team. Looking at Willian and Tierney's spray and pray approach it just seems like a tactic Arteta and the players are very committed to.

Pepe and Martinelli can definitely cross, but they would rather do the one-two combination and run in behind. I think (hope) it's literally just a tactical or preference thing.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Just to try to rationalise his selection as it's a bit unfair on Willian, I do think his superior crossing is why he's in the team. Looking at Willian and Tierney's spray and pray approach it just seems like a tactic Arteta and the players are very committed to.
Didn’t Tierney put thee crosses bang on the dime at the start of yesterday’s game? Didn’t Tierney cross the ball on a sixpence for Pepes astonishing miss against Burnley they other day.

Spray and pray is tad harsh I feel.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
I don't care for him much but I am glad he's been playing pretty well lately. He was anonymous from October through February to average so I guess we can give him a gold star.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
People counting on Willian giving assists on a regular basis are the same as people placing bets to earn money, you gonna get the results sometimes if you're lucky, but in the end, it's not reliable.
His recent assists were not done by his amazing work to put someone in a situation to score, all 3 were based on players scoring goals by doing 90% of the work themselves.
2 assists against Fulham, one was his shot that was saved but the ball bounced to Laca, the other one was a set-piece if I remember correctly... There wasn't a single assist where you could say, wow, Willian made that chance. Looking at some of the stuff from Saka, that's what a propper assist is and that's something you can count on in the future, some passes from ESR and Ødegaard, Tierney breaking down the left would go into that as well, but I didn't see anything from Willian which would result in him putting pressure on the defense

mirrorstare

Our football is painful to watch even with our so called best XI so give me the guy that delivers you most assists in the team over anyone else.

I will happily overrate anyone that drags us to the CL, and right now that is Willian. I really can't say is anyone else. Without his "nothing assists" the team would have dropped their heads against Benfica and against Olympiakos.

Top Bottom