• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Willian: Moving back to Brazil

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I will happily overrate anyone that drags us to the CL, and right now that is Willian. I really can't say is anyone else. Without his "nothing assists" the team would have dropped their heads against Benfica and against Olympiakos.
Or we would have someone else playing instead of him capable of scoring and assisting or making us better, which is basically all 3 of Pepe, ESR and Laca.
Cheap assists for fans that don't look further, great stuff

AW49

He is getting the most underwhelming assists ffs, we can't stop this guy. Need to see open play xA, I'm sure he'd be below all of the attacking midfielders and wingers competing with him.

dashsnow17

Doesn’t Rate Any Of Our Attackers
Trusted ⭐
He is getting the most underwhelming assists ffs, we can't stop this guy. Need to see open play xA, I'm sure he'd be below all of the attacking midfielders and wingers competing with him.

Apparently in terms of xA he's actually nowhere near our most creative player, he's well down the list. So that basically sums up the eye test. None of his recent assists really *feel* like assists.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
Apparently in terms of xA he's actually nowhere near our most creative player, he's well down the list. So that basically sums up the eye test. None of his recent assists really *feel* like assists.
That, plus the fact that he doesn't offer any goal threat at all, zero goals and the season will end in 2 months, fcking Gabriel will end this season with more goals than him.
Arteta saying he is training well which is more important according to him

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I think people are missing the point that Arteta wants someone that comes in off the left to more central positions to allow Tierney to overlap, it's also why ESR has played there. I think playing a left-footer there like Pepe might mean he and Tierney get in each others way a bit, and Pepe isn't great coming in on his right foot, or certainly not as effective as being on the right and coming in on his left foot so he wouldn't work in the same role Willian or ESR operate in that sense, it's kinda similar to how Wenger would play Hleb, Nasri or Cazorla on the left even tho they'd come centrally more often (yes I know 32 year old Willian isn't a fraction of those players when they were here). Similarly I think it'd why he's stopped playing Auba there and doesn't consider Martinelli as they're essentially both striker who're not ball players really, and won't play the same sort of role he expects from Willian or ESR, even if they've not been particularly brilliant themselves. That said I do think Willian is genuinely doing a lot of the things Arteta wants in terms of his positioning and how he plays the role, which is more important at this moment to Arteta than being eye catching or having a compilation worthy performance.

I honestly think if Willian continues to underwhelm we'll probably end up looking at a right-footed LW who operates like an extra AM at times. As he'll want someone who can fill in the needs of what he wants from that position but is way more consistent with their performance and has a bit more youthful energy about them than an aging Willian.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
I think people are missing the point that Arteta wants someone that comes in off the left to more central positions to allow Tierney to overlap, it's also why ESR has played there. I think playing a left-footer there like Pepe might mean he and Tierney get in each others way a bit, and Pepe isn't great coming in on his right foot, or certainly not as effective as being on the right and coming in on his left foot so he wouldn't work in the same role Willian or ESR operate in that sense, it's kinda similar to how Wenger would play Hleb, Nasri or Cazorla on the left even tho they'd come centrally more often (yes I know 32 year old Willian isn't a fraction of those players when they were here). Similarly I think it'd why he's stopped playing Auba there and doesn't consider Martinelli as they're essentially both striker who're not ball players really, and won't play the same sort of role he expects from Willian or ESR, even if they've not been particularly brilliant themselves. That said I do think Willian is genuinely doing a lot of the things Arteta wants in terms of his positioning and how he plays the role, which is more important at this moment to Arteta than being eye catching or having a compilation worthy performance.

I honestly think if Willian continues to underwhelm we'll probably end up looking at a right-footed LW who operates like an extra AM at times. As he'll want someone who can fill in the needs of what he wants from that position but is way more consistent with their performance and has a bit more youthful energy about them than an aging Willian.
Willian moved to the left only recently and was brought in from day 1 to replace Pepe on the right, let's not forget that. He is now on the left simply because he is a waste of space and Arteta needs to justify his contract, and while it is easy to ditch Pepe who splits opinion among fans, he can't drop Saka who is fans favorite player.
Tierney was playing well with or without Willian so that also doesn't add to your theory. I get what you're saying, I would love to see someone like Nasri on the left wing combining with Tierney, but I also think we all need to be realistic about our targets, there is a big chance we won't be in Europe next season.
Willian is not the answer for this season, Pepe would definitely be a better option and we would have a chance in the EL with him on form until we find a long term solution over the summer

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Willian moved to the left only recently and was brought in from day 1 to replace Pepe on the right, let's not forget that. He is now on the left simply because he is a waste of space and Arteta needs to justify his contract, and while it is easy to ditch Pepe who splits opinion among fans, he can't drop Saka who is fans favorite player.
Tierney was playing well with or without Willian so that also doesn't add to your theory. I get what you're saying, I would love to see someone like Nasri on the left wing combining with Tierney, but I also think we all need to be realistic about our targets, there is a big chance we won't be in Europe next season.
Willian is not the answer for this season, Pepe would definitely be a better option and we would have a chance in the EL with him on form until we find a long term solution over the summer

FWIW, I'd personally try Saka LW and Pepe RW as I believe Saka is decent coming in central positions even on his weaker foot. But I don't know.

Maybe

You're wrong, no?
FWIW, I'd personally try Saka LW and Pepe RW as I believe Saka is decent coming in central positions even on his weaker foot. But I don't know.
Saka and Tierney was the worst combination so far we've seen on the left, both players struggled and both started to perform once they were split. It could be a coincidence though, but yeah, Pepe looks better for me on the right and Saka didn't perform in the last few games there. Even if you "sacrifice" Saka on the left, would still be a massive improvement over dull Willian who is mostly passing the ball back and doesn't attack at all.
If Arteta hates Pepe so much, I'd even move Auba back to the left and maybe Laca/Martinelli could hit some form as CF

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Gabriel

Here's another one. I truly hope we get to see what these guys are seeing from Arteta consistently one day and if we do at least let us see a sustained period of it before he ****s us off for City or someone.

AbouCuéllar

Author of A-M essays 📚
I agree but you've essentially described ESR here, no?

Lidl_Reed

Wants a new name

Here's another one. I truly hope we get to see what these guys are seeing from Arteta consistently one day and if we do at least let us see a sustained period of it before he ****s us off for City or someone.
What he sees is consistent starts that he doesn't deserve

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Just stop picking him Arteta, easiest thing to do in the world ffs.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Sorry ass of excuse performance just walking around players wait him to move he just stop or go backwards. This all on edu/Arteta unnecessary signing and stopped us giving us players like Martinelli or even Nelson chsnce to play

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
Terrible performance but I still can’t fully commit to the idea of him being a terrible player. He just looks woefully short on confidence. I can’t see why though, he clearly has the manager’s backing.

He’s a month away from going an entire season without scoring- maybe that’s weighing heavy on him.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Terrible performance but I still can’t fully commit to the idea of him being a terrible player. He just looks woefully short on confidence. I can’t see why though, he clearly has the manager’s backing.

He’s a month away from going an entire season without scoring- maybe that’s weighing heavy on him.
He admit he having awful season and it affect him personally but that not excuse really he been awful all season apart from handful of games

Latest posts+

Top Bottom