• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

✍️ OFFICIAL Willian (Out)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camron

Photoshop King
Trusted ⭐

Player:Martinelli
I'm really disliking the trend of us giving players away for free and paying off a portion of their wages at the same time. I could understand it with Özil because (i) he was frozen out; (ii) his wages were massive. With Kola/Willian we shouldn't be doing that, and should test their willingess to sit in a club that doesn't want them vs. moving to a different club where they can play albeit on lower wages.
I don’t think these players are in that stage of their career where they care about playing. No national team or next big step up they need to look good for. It’s securing retirement now.

They’re more than happy to take the bag and live a comfortable life in London before retiring in Turkey/China/MLS/Middle East.

We created this problem, it’s on us to solve it.

Goal Brazil: Willian moving towards Corinthians, however they want Arsenal to pay part of his salary

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐

Willian moving towards accepting Corinthians offer because no team in europe are interested. however Corinthians want us to pay part of his salary because they can't afford half of it.

daron christie

Willian moving towards accepting Corinthians offer because no team in europe are interested. however Corinthians want us to pay part of his salary because they can't afford half of it.
I mentioned this a few pages back that no Brazilian club will pay more than 25% of his wages..so not much saved if he goes to Brazil

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.

Kia is really pushing us to pay his wages... 8m after tax according to Lance. That's three times the wage of their highest earner.

Very hard to see this happening unless we subsidize and that's WITH Willian taking a wage cut.

Last edited:

al-Ustaadh

👳‍♂️ Figuring out how to delete my account 👳‍♂️
This is where it sucks to be us and not Chelsea or City. They’d pay the salary with ease. No real penalty on their part.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
Corinthians pay 25% of his wages, Willian takes a 25% pay cut and Arsenal foot the remaining 50%, would be my guess.

We would still need to release him and pay a penalty as well, at least it seems likely that we would have to (Kola et. al. got that at least).

I want him out as much as the next guy, but it comes a time where we have to stop paying people to leave like this. Doesn't help that we give some huge wages to squad players.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

🚨 Info:#Corinthians offers a contract until 2023 to Willian 🇧🇷 . 3M € annual salary.

- His agents Kia Joorabchian and Bertolucci have taken steps to release him free of #Arsenal .

- The player privileges Europe as mentioned by @FabrizioRomano .

LG10

How many contracts have we had to buy out in the past 2 years :lol:. Everyone in charge of transfers and contracts should be sacked.

Arson Finger

If we don't accept this offer and pay half his remaining salary, then we will be stuck with him and have to pay 100% of his remaining salary for 2 more years. His salary is a sunk cost, we have already agreed to pay it. If we get out of half of it, that's about as well as we can do at this point for such an old player on such high wages.

The way to stop this from happening again is to buy better players (duh) but also to stop handing huge wages to every new player we bring in. For a decade, Arsenal have given every new player wages based on what we hope they will do, not what would be fair market value. Then when any transfer doesn't work out, we are stuck with a player no one wants, even if they would still be decent players in another situation in another league.

Many transfers don't work out, for every club. You need to be smart and not set yourself up to be completely stuck when that happens. I haven't seen any reports on what wages we're paying the new players we've brought in this year. At least they are all young, so hopefully we finally learned from past mistakes stopped handing out giant wages to every single player we bring in.

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
The financials on free transfers and contract renewals are a bit different, but people obsess about these high reported wage figures. It's the same with Willian, Auba, Özil and the others.

You get the base salary; the sign on fee & / or the loyalty bonus and then performance add ons as well. To say that Willian is on an above market, massively inflated salary is a bit misleading because the reports suggest that he's not but that we paid a c. £15m signing on fee, paid across the three years of the contract. It doesn't make it any less of a stupid move considering his age but then even now you've got lots of people on another thread saying that £25m + for a 31 year old RB is fine.

I just think that if you buy cheap and gamble on an older, experienced player like Willian (or in fact any free transfer), then you accept a risk that the player leaves with some wage subsidy. Older players get more expensive, it's just part of the deal.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
He’ll be let go. If it saves us money, even if it’s only £500,000 or £1m, he’ll be out the door. The alternative is keep him and pay him the full amount to sit on his arse which nobody wants.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
You seen this @Jury? Your boy, Ronaldinho, gone after 1 season and 1 goal.
Another victim of this destructive, anti-football, bleep test regime. I’m glad he earned a nice crust. I just want to see him mashing it up for someone else and then get a move to a club that knocks us out of EL with him scoring the winner. That’s what I want man.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom