• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Willian

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 2,913
  • Views 231,476

Would you be happy with the Willian signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Point is they didn’t see it as vitally important enough keep him. They likely offered him a 2 year deal to stay on as a squad player. They already have an upgrade lined up for next season.

Willian has been a good player down the years. But he’s not someone who will come in and significantly improve us.

You really want another washed up player on a 3 year deal and draining massive wages from the club?

The point is they have tried to keep him. Did you have the same energy for us letting Ramsey run down his contract? Similar situation - one of our best performers not offered a new deal. Does this mean Ramsey was crap?

The Willlian downplaying is criminal.

Look, there are other players I'd rather than Willian, but the more I think about it, he could be a smart signing.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
Point is they didn’t see it as vitally important enough keep him. They likely offered him a 2 year deal to stay on as a squad player. They already have an upgrade lined up for next season.

Willian has been a good player down the years. But he’s not someone who will come in and significantly improve us.

You really want another washed up player on a 3 year deal and draining massive wages from the club?

They have a policy not to offer players over 30 long contracts. We used to do it with players, doesn’t mean they’re **** or passed it. They have no upgrade for him either. Ziyech will play on the opposite side and Willian would be competing with Hudson-Odoi. If he came here he’d probably rotate with Saka on the left and Özil in the middle. Sure I’d prefer if it was a two year deal instead of three but I won’t cry over it.

Also it doesn’t matter how many times you say “washed up”, it doesn’t make it a fact. He’s been one of Chelsea’s better players and there’s no obvious sign of a slump. You’re just saying he’s washed up because he’ll soon be 32.

Shalmaneser V

They have a policy not to offer players over 30 long contracts. We used to do it with players, doesn’t mean they’re **** or passed it. They have no upgrade for him either. Ziyech will play on the opposite side and Willian would be competing with Hudson-Odoi. If he came here he’d probably rotate with Saka on the left and Özil in the middle. Sure I’d prefer if it was a two year deal instead of three but I won’t cry over it.

Also it doesn’t matter how many times you say “washed up”, it doesn’t make it a fact. He’s been one of Chelsea’s better players and there’s no obvious sign of a slump. You’re just saying he’s washed up because he’ll soon be 32.

Ziyech and Willian are both more effective on the right. CHO is primarily a left-winger cutting in, and that is where I see him settling eventually.

And Ziyech is absolutely an upgrade and a like for like replacement. Like Willian he’s most comfortable on the right-side but can fill in on either flank and also do a job centrally if need be.

I’d prefer a no year deal. We can do better than Willian. We’ve tried numerous times at buying Chelsea’s leftovers and it’s got us nowhere. There is a lot of talent out there.

Last edited:

Shalmaneser V

The point is they have tried to keep him. Did you have the same energy for us letting Ramsey run down his contract? Similar situation - one of our best performers not offered a new deal. Does this mean Ramsey was crap?

The Willlian downplaying is criminal.

Look, there are other players I'd rather than Willian, but the more I think about it, he could be a smart signing.

Ramsey was 28. We could potentially have got up to 40M if he were under contract.

Willian is pushing 32. No one would pay more than 10-15M for him in the same scenario.

truth_hurts

Ramsey was 28. We could potentially have got up to 40M if he were under contract.

Willian is pushing 32. No one would pay more than 10-15M for him in the same scenario.

No, the point is that we didn't try that hard to keep him, so he must be a waste of time. Right?

Shalmaneser V

No, the point is that we didn't try that hard to keep him, so he must be a waste of time. Right?

But we’re a much more badly run club than Chelsea.

I never claimed Willian is a waste of time. I’ve rated him down the years. I just feel if you factor in his age, current level and the financial implications he’s not worth it. We can and should be doing better.

truth_hurts

I never claimed Willian is a waste of time. I’ve rated him down the years. I just feel if you factor in his age, current level and the financial implications he’s not worth it. We can and should be doing better.

That's fair. I've wanted Coutinho or Aouar, but not sure we've got 50m plus to chick at a CAM.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐

His current level is better than Özil in the ACM position and he's probably better than anyone we have on the left. I don't doubt Saka will be better than him within the next year or two but if Saka needs the minutes than we just play Willian in the middle. It's a free transfer that is a quick fix for certain areas of the pitch allowing us to spend our money elsewhere.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Chelsea losing the experience of Hazard, Pedro and Willian and replacing it with youth is crazy in my opinion.
Pedro is a bum. Hazard wanted to leave, what can you do? All this whole money has tightened at Chelsea.

It’s not like they’re replace Willian with a kid, they’ve just signed probably one of the top attackers in Europe over the last 2 years in Ziyech.

Shalmaneser V

His current level is better than Özil in the ACM position and he's probably better than anyone we have on the left. I don't doubt Saka will be better than him within the next year or two but if Saka needs the minutes than we just play Willian in the middle. It's a free transfer that is a quick fix for certain areas of the pitch allowing us to spend our money elsewhere.

Fraser is a free transfer. Buendia is another who wouldn’t cost much. Both could potentially offer more and have added re-sale value.

Maybe part of it is just pride as I hate the idea of taking the leftovers of rival clubs.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Fraser is a free transfer. Buendia is another who wouldn’t cost much. Both could potentially offer more and have added re-sale value.

Maybe part of it is just pride as I hate the idea of taking the leftovers of rival clubs.
Makes little sense in investing up to 20M in a player in the 32-35 age range. Chelsea aren’t offering him 3 years, they know him more than everyone.

truth_hurts

Pedro is a bum. Hazard wanted to leave, what can you do? All this whole money has tightened at Chelsea.

It’s not like they’re replace Willian with a kid, they’ve just signed probably one of the top attackers in Europe over the last 2 years in Ziyech.

They've gone from league champions to a youth club in less than 2 seasons. I wonder if they tell themselves that they're headed in the right direction?

say yes

forum master baiter
It’s all going to come down to his wages for me.

He’s currently on about 120k/week at Chelsea. Anything above that for an ageing player we don’t really need is clearly a bad deal.

However, if he’s willing to forego the usual wage bump that free agents get then I can see the value here. Particularly if the contract is only guaranteed for 2y.

Still don’t think we need to be spending our limited resources on a winger though.

GDeep™

League is very weak
They've gone from league champions to a youth club in less than 2 seasons. I wonder if they tell themselves that they're headed in the right direction?
The model has changed though, no? From a club with no cash restrictions to now who have tightened the purse strings for various reasons and have hired a young manager to build a new young team.

They’re a top 4 club now and are probably happy with CL football until Lampard or any manager can build a top team.

GDeep™

League is very weak
It’s all going to come down to his wages for me.

He’s currently on about 120k/week at Chelsea. Anything above that for an ageing player we don’t really need is clearly a bad deal.

However, if he’s willing to forego the usual wage bump that free agents get then I can see the value here. Particularly if the contract is only guaranteed for 2y.

Still don’t think we need to be spending our limited resources on a winger though.
He wants 3 years ffs, why do you and others keep talking about 2 years? @field442 is kidding himself it’ll probably be a 2+1 or something, lad wants 3 years, that’s the current gripe at Chelsea.

Also don’t forget the sign on fee you pay a new agent, will be a good few million.

say yes

forum master baiter
Abromovic isn’t pumping much blood-money into that club any more, so focusing on youth is clearly the right option if they want to be more self-sufficient.

say yes

forum master baiter
He wants 3 years ffs, why do you and others keep talking about 2 years? @field442 is kidding himself it’ll probably be a 2+1 or something, lad wants 3 years, that’s the current gripe at Chelsea.

Also don’t forget the sign on fee you pay a new agent, will be a good few million.
Just talking about ways in which I’d be able to stomach this deal. Not keen as it is, and think 3 years would be crazy.

Doubt there’s anything to this story tbh.

Tom349

Yet to see a decent argument as for why Willian on a free transfer would be poor move by the club. Willian being 32 at the start of next season, or Chelsea refusing to meet his contract demands or Cech and Luiz being Chelsea rejects and not helping us are all completely poor and ignorant reasons to not sign him.

For starters there is no evidence that Willian is slowing down and while he entering the later stage of his career on a free transfer it is not something that should deter us from signing him when there is need for a player with his skill set for this team.

Chelsea refusing to meet his demands doesn't speak for his ability and is a rather stupid contract policy they have in regard to not signing over 30 players to more than one year. Don't get me wrong in some instances players fall of a cliff once they reach 30/31 years but not every player starts their career at the same age and some guys have done a lot less miles than others at that point in their careers.

While Cech and Luiz arguments are poor mostly because it assumes all players are the same and can't be good beyond 30 but also because despite Luiz being past his best he has been our best performing CB this season. That may not mean a great deal given the standard isn't very high but if Willian can come in and be a worthy addition to the squad like Luiz has then overall we have improved without spending, which for a team with limited funds is important.

Here's the reason I would sign him:

Firstly his experience and nationality would be welcome to our young squad. We have a number of young wingers who need guidance and someone to take the pressure off of them whilst they develop. That person shouldn't stand in their way but should be there to step up when they go through a rough patch and Willian could be just that. Whilst Willian being Brazilian is something that could become important down the line as we have the foundation to be the premier leagues club of choice for not only Brazilian players but many South American players. We have the connections to get the best talent out of South America and should we sign these guys then they will need help adjusting which is where the likes of Luiz and Willian could help get these guys settled.

More importantly he can actually offer something on the pitch. We have a massive issue currently with volume of chances created and Willian is ranked 13th league wide when it comes to creating chances per90 (minimum 10 games played). Which is 1 spot behind Özil who is considerably ahead of our next best creator in Pepe. Moreover we have a significant issue with controlling possession in the final third and being dangerous in the opposition penalty box which is where Willian's technical ability excels the most. He ranks 4th in the league with passes into the 18 yard box. Our current side has a serious lack of technical ability which is what Willian can address which on a free makes sense given we will be spending our funds improving other areas of the pitch.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom