<

Willian: Third Time's The Charm

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by razörist, Mar 30, 2020.

1. dka91

dka91 Well-Known Member

Hmm I did think it was a waste of resources and a signing very much lacking a shred of shrewdness, but I honestly thought it was more so that we'd regret his last year/year and a half.

I didn't expect him to be quite this flat so early but to be fair in the last game he was played out of position.

Maybe we could try him @10, he looked decent there linking up with the MF in the 2nd half of Sheffield when he was put there.

2. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Well-Known Member

Willian is a terrible left winger, any Chelsea fan could have told you that before we signed him. He has value only when he is played on the right. Why we signed him when we paid big money for Pepe to play in our right, I have no idea.

GDeep™ likes this.
  3. kash2

kash2 Obsessed With Jury

the gang getting the 10% or more kickbacks sure made a huge killing ever since Raul got here

GeorgiaGunner and krackpot like this.
  4. Zaza

Zaza Well-Known Member

The club really thought this guy would help sort out our problems with Creativity smh.

Wrighty4eva and krackpot like this.
  5. krackpot

krackpot Established Member

Can't wait for Martinelli/Reiss to be back and bench this bum

6. BigPoppaPump

BigPoppaPump Contrarian

All my Chelsea friends and when I'd read their forum said the same thing. He's good for 1 game a month basically, has 1 good game then 5 bad then 1 good again and repeat.

7. kraphtous

kraphtous Raul Stanllehi

Not like we signed him to have an immediate impact or anything :facepalm:

Wrighty4eva likes this.
  8. Fewtch

Fewtch Ozil at 10 And Emery Out

This is the best version of Willian we’re going to see during the coming 3 years. 220k/w, merci Raul

And Arteta

9. truth_hurts

truth_hurts Well-Known Member

You read Chelsea forums?

Macho and Jury like this.
  10. Malky

Malky Established Member

Waste. Of. Money!

11. truth_hurts

I want to know what Arteta saw to play Willian at CF for the first time in his career? It's so illogical .

Wrighty4eva, Macho and Gooner1988TK like this.
  12. scytheavatar

scytheavatar Well-Known Member

Arteta wants to replicate the Liverpool front 3 with Willian as Firmino playing deep so that Pepe and Auba can be Salah/Mane and cut in from the flanks. If we want to be able to play both Pepe and Auba in the same lineup then this is probably the most viable option. We can play Auba centrally like all the fans want if we want Pepe to be useless and not have space to operate.

13. grange

grange Well-Known Member

Arteta said he was going to play Willian centrally the day he signed. We shouldn't be surprised the day has arrived.

14. Kysus

Kysus Well-Known Member

Willian is a top footballer who is great at finding pockets of space and use them to bring others into play(linkup)
    That's why Arteta tried to use him in that role(spring Pepe and Auba into space in transition) but it unfortunately did not work as the cohension between the 3 was lacking(Walker pocketed Auba too) and Willian was left chasing shadows most of the game.

15. truth_hurts

Out of the three of Pepe, Auba and Willian, The Brazilian is the least equipped to play as a cf. It was an awful decision.

16. gunner4lyfe

gunner4lyfe Well-Known Member

But that doesn't work unless Auba and Pepe are gonna make runs from out to in. They just stayed wide. Especially Auba. Make no sense to me. Also why would you try it for the first time against a team like City?

Wrighty4eva and truth_hurts like this.
  17. Mrs Bergkamp

Mrs Bergkamp Established Member

I think the City game was seen as a loss before we even arrived in Manchester so as good a game as any to try. It almost worked too.

18. gunner4lyfe

gunner4lyfe Well-Known Member

Well in that case we should have just played with 4 at the back then and use 4321 or 433. Plus we could have started Partey.

Ashybashy86 likes this.
  19. RunTheTrap

RunTheTrap Well-Known Member

He’s gonna end up like Mhki. We’re gonna try and hoard him to every club in Italy next summer. Such a silly transfer. Willian has been in the PL for 7 years. He’s a known entity, I have seen him enough times to tell you Willian is not a creator, false 9 Firmino wannabe, a LW, a 10 or an 8. He’s basically an upgraded Iwobi that is only fairly consistent when played on the right. Works hard for the team and provides balance but don’t expect creativity from him. I can only hope ESR or Nelson come good and bench him.

Wrighty4eva and GeorgiaGunner like this.
  20. tcahill

tcahill Well-Known Member

I feel like the vast majority on here didn't want him at first, but once it was clear that he was our only offensive signing we tried to persuade ourselves that he was good.

So far he's been meeting our initial expectations.

I've had a look at a few Chelsea threads about him and the general consensus is that he's only consistently good when bringing the ball from deep. Struggles in the final third but has a solid workrate. Essentially Chelsea's Iwobi but old.

Wrighty4eva and krackpot like this.