• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Willian

• Thread starter A_G
  • Start date
  • Replies 2,913
  • Views 232,278

Would you be happy with the Willian signing?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Arteta will get us top four next season, with Coutinho and Willian in the PFA team of the year.

I don't really see the need for both Willian and Coutinho tbh. Coutinho has always performed better on the left IMO, and we will potentially have Auba and Willian as options there, not to mention Saka and Martinelli.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
It’s not an either or situation so why paint it that way? Do you really think they’d sign Willian if it meant they couldn’t extend Auba or sign Partey? They’re probably signing him because it allows them to do exactly that.
We'll soon see.

FinnGooner

Established Member
My question is are they offering arteta Willian and he just says yes/no? Cos that’s what I think is happening

Arteta, unlike us, is in a position where he is able to judge this deal in the context of the whole window. They have probably given Arteta a budget to work with and he has a list of positions we need to strengthen. He probably sees Willian as a good option to give us depth up front without having to compromise on signings for other, perhaps more crucial positions. As a stand-alone deal, this looks depressing but we have to wait until all of our business is done.

So it's either that or...

...Kia is forcing his players on us while Raul and Edu are busy having Epstein -like orgies and 5g keeps spreading COVID around

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Still don't want him. The fact that Arteta wants him doesn't make me feel any differently. All managers make mistakes and sign duds.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
It’s not an either or situation so why paint it that way? Do you really think they’d sign Willian if it meant they couldn’t extend Auba or sign Partey? They’re probably signing him because it allows them to do exactly that.

Yep, I think financially it makes sense. Proven PL quality that plugs a gap in the squad. These suggestions of 200kpw are BS imo. I think it will likely be something similar to what he is currently on, which in the grand scheme of things is peanuts.

Hopefully the club now goes for CB/CM/CF.

Yousif Arsenal

On Vinai's payroll & misses 4th place trophy 🏆
Trusted ⭐
Seem Lampard desperately want Willian to stay but Chelsea not offering more than 2 years deal. Things could still change

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Not saying Willian is a bad player, far from it. But we need those wages for a quality CM and a CB . . . and maybe to keep Auba.
Well let's hope that this cheap deals enables the other two.

I think everyone's in for a shock re: CB.

Mari was signed as a starter (unless we signed him as a squad option despite having no guarantees that we could sell our existing squad options). Saliba is a high potential prospect who needs minutes and we also have David Luiz hanging around. I don't think we're going to sign a CB and everyone's going to lose their ****.:lol:

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Still don't want him. The fact that Arteta wants him doesn't make me feel any differently. All managers make mistakes and sign duds.

Would you rather we sign Zaha and forget all about Partey? That's the kind of choices we have to make on our budget. Willian is one signing in a window, if we get Partey and a top CB as well it will be a great window.

Leo_ense_

AnthonyG Survivor
Top teams are in for him, and even his current club would love to keep him if the contract length was adjusted to suit their policy by 1 year.

He is quality and good enough to grace any squad in the league. On a free it’s an absolute no brainer.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Imagine that though... Imagine the diseases you would have if you earned that much money at 18. You’d have to build an STD clinic in your house and a rehab next door to that. Having said that, if you lead the sort of life that meant you were a top football talent at 18, you should really have the discipline. Resisting temptation after that comes down to good parenting, respect and pride.
Mate I came out of uni landed a half decent job while still living at home and felt like a millionaire.:lol:

Imagine being 18 seeing about a 100k land in your account every month. Would be absolute scenes, I'd make Nile Ranger look like a model pro.:lol:

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐

Mari was signed as a starter (unless we signed him as a squad option despite having no guarantees that we could sell our existing squad options). Saliba is a high potential prospect who needs minutes and we also have David Luiz hanging around. I don't think we're going to sign a CB and everyone's going to lose their ****.:lol:

Arteta has said he wants one, but I don’t expect an expensive one. I still think that Sarr chap is the one who’ll come on a free. I can’t think why he hasn’t signed anywhere yet other than him waiting for an offer from a bigger club (us).

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
We need to score more goals. Only 56 in the league.
Remember you posting that last year when we bought Pepe instead shoring up our crap defence. We're now 8th.

We need some quality in midfield and at CB to match Saliba. No more backup players, the squad is full of them.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Also big ratings to Willian because he hasn't just chased the money. I think London plays a part for sure but I feel a lot more at ease knowing he isn't coming here on retirement vibes.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me

I think Partey is a good chance of happening, especially with Willian deal being relatively cheap. Top CB will require us to sell someone like Laca and I dont rule that out. Obviously we have Guen, Sokratis, Holding to sell, Kola is possible. Not sure if AMN will go or not, I'd rather he stay but again if we want that top CB & Partey, we will have to sell.

Makavelii

Don’t understand why so many people are against this. Especially as a free transfer.

Yeah he’s on the older side, but he’s a beast and still seems to be in his prime. Would be a great move to help get up back in the top 4 quickly.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Arteta has said he wants one, but I don’t expect an expensive one. I still think that Sarr chap is the one who’ll come on a free. I can’t think why he hasn’t signed anywhere yet other than him waiting for an offer from a bigger club (us).
So who are we signing? Not top CB, Willian, and maybe Partey?

On paper, looks terrible.

Trilly

Trusted ⭐

Remember you posting that last year when we bought Pepe instead shoring up our crap defence. We're now 8th.

We need some quality in midfield and at CB to match Saliba. No more backup players, the squad is full of them.
Tbf bro, there isn't a rule that says you have to fix the defence first. You could do a Liverpool and fix the defence after.

Fixing the defence first would be the more cost effective way to get back into the CL though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom