• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wilson Palacios

Status
Not open for further replies.

asajoseph

Established Member
I've read somewhere this evening that the 10 goals in 100 games stat for Palacios is wrong - apparently he's scored those 10 goals in 22 games this season.

Not sure how accurate that is though.

siddharth

I'm praying that this palacios thing is bollox. It's underwhelming to accept that the most wenger can do is sign a player who has been on trials all across europe. We know that we are short in numbers on the wing but it's also quality in which we lack depth. There are still 9 days to go so let's just wait and watch. Wenger recent comments about the players not existing and if they did , they are way overpriced is a stupid excuse. It's annoying and frustrating to read some of wenger's comments.

kooldawg

Established Member
Looks to me that we really are skint and that contrary to belief's teh bulk of the "trasnfer kitty" is probably reserve funds to be used to make the payments on the stadium in case we dont do well in the champions league, sort of a hedged bet against a possible bad run in Europe.

Thats the only explanation i can come up with. What happened to all the money we saved last season by not making a major move in January or the summer last year??

asajoseph

Established Member
I'm hoping the Palacios thing happens.

Both because I believe Wenger is too much of an idealist to sign a player who he doesn't seriously think is good enough, and also because I think it's wrong to assume that if we don't sign Palacios the alternative will be Robinho, Quaresma, or someone like that.

kooldawg

Established Member
Wenger knows that he needs squad depth especially on the wings.

This Palacios deal might just happen.

tactica442

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
kooldawg said:
Looks to me that we really are skint and that contrary to belief's teh bulk of the "trasnfer kitty" is probably reserve funds to be used to make the payments on the stadium in case we dont do well in the champions league, sort of a hedged bet against a possible bad run in Europe.
Good point.

kooldawg said:
Thats the only explanation i can come up with. What happened to all the money we saved last season by not making a major move in January or the summer last year??
Part of the money might have been used in Gallas' and Henry's new wages, I guess.

Paddy from Sweden

The board has repeatedly said that the payment for the stadium and the transfer funds are not connected so for me the money that has been made on sales are available for purchases.

But if people wants to believe we're skint then fine. Just because AW doesn't splash cash don't necessarily mean the money's not there for him. He's an economic and I think that do show in his apporach to transfers.

Asterix

Established Member
Exactly Paddy - we're not skint - we spent 7.5m pounds on a right back for heaven's sake. We just have a manager who doesn't believe in paying ridiculous money for players, and would rather try to build up relatively, or completely, unknown players who still have what he, Wenger, wants for the team.

I ope the Palacios thing happens, but only because I trust Wenger to bring in players who will add something to the squad.

Except of course Stefan Malz - that made me laugh.

EMIR8_SOLDIER

Established Member
best to keep your mouths shut for a lil minute because there is this slight feeling i have that this rumour is a wind up

Artillero

Birmingham City boss Steve Bruce has revealed he's set to sign Honduras international Wilson Palacios.

The midfielder is trialling at St Andrews on recommendation from Arsenal boss Arsène Wenger and is available from Olimpia.

"I'm speaking to his agent today," Bruce told the club's website. "We're trying to construct a loan deal to bring him in to have a better look until Christmas, but I don't know if that's possible yet.

"He's from Honduras where they call him the magician and he has 40 or 42 international caps.

"Mr Wenger rang me up from Arsenal and asked if we wanted to have a look at him, because they already have seven or eight midfield players.

"We've had a look, but it's always difficult to judge people on two or three days so the ideal solution is if we can bring him here up until Christmas, but we have to get permission off his club.

"There would be a transfer fee involved and there would have to be international clearance and we would have to go through the rigmarole of a sorting out a work permit."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom