• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Win the Europa or get a new manager

Would you rather win the Europa, or get a new manager?

• Win the Europa

Votes: 41 54.7%
  • New manager

Votes: 34 45.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Do you honestly believe that with the funds we have and no CL money we can upgrade the squad enough to overtake city next year or the year after?

We're three games away from a continental trophy that gets us back into the CL.

Short-sightedness here is not taking the trophy. Wenger will more than likely be gone after next season.

The trophy won't.

That's based on what exactly? Wenger can go to Stan and say "look, the fact is I've won x3 FA Cups in 5 years and just won the EL and got us back into the Champions League". The club won't want a repeat of the fiasco that surrounded it the last time Arsène went into a season with 12 months left in his contract. Stan will view that as grounds to warrant an extension - trophy (tick), CL revenue (big tick).

In the mean time we will slip further away from being a top 4 side in the PL as the likes of Sp**s and Liverpool will only get stronger. So yeah, I would sacrifice the greatness of winning a European trophy so that my club finally wakes up and does what it is in its' best interests.

CJJ

Established Member
What good will that season do?
I dont think he's gonna stop this season, hence we will very likely have him one more.
And i think that if Wenger gives the fans assurance he would stop at the end of next season, then he might be able to have a great run, as all the negative pressure he's dealing with would be gone.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
That's based on what exactly? Wenger can go to Stan and say "look, the fact is I've won x3 FA Cups in 5 years and just won the EL and got us back into the Champions League". The club won't want a repeat of the fiasco that surrounded it the last time Arséne went into a season with 12 months left in his contract. Stan will view that as grounds to warrant an extension - trophy (tick), CL revenue (big tick).

In the mean time we will slip further away from being a top 4 side in the PL as the likes of Sp**s and Liverpool will only get stronger. So yeah, I would sacrifice the greatness of winning a European trophy so that my club finally wakes up and does what it is in its' best interests.

Club's best interest is to win trophies. There's no need to scorch earth here.

Wenger stays until the end of the contract, regardless of how much posturing Ivan and Kroenke Jr. leak to John Cross about it being tied to EL.

The club a) don't have the balls to fire him, b) he won't step down/negotiate severance, c) will see that the bottom line financially is that sacking him will be worse than having him get us around 5th again.

So yeah, I'll take the trophy everyday on the chance the board realizes all they have to do is not extend his contract and be public about it. Call it a farewell season, marketing can think of something.

Rather that than no trophy and the mandatory second year of his extension.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

Club's best interest is to win trophies. There's no need to scorch earth here.

Wenger stays until the end of the contract, regardless of how much posturing Ivan and Kroenke Jr. leak to John Cross about it being tied to EL.

The club a) don't have the balls to fire him, b) he won't step down/negotiate severance, c) will see that the bottom line financially is that sacking him will be worse than having him get us around 5th again.

So yeah, I'll take the trophy everyday on the chance the board realizes all they have to do is not extend his contract and be public about it. Call it a farewell season, marketing can think of something.

Rather that than no trophy and the mandatory second year of his extension.

There's also a d) SK gives AW a further two years

Is that healthy for AFC?

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Do you honestly believe that with the funds we have and no CL money we can upgrade the squad enough to overtake city next year or the year after?

We're three games away from a continental trophy that gets us back into the CL.

Short-sightedness here is not taking the trophy. Wenger will more than likely be gone after next season.

The trophy won't.

Why will he be gone though? Will Wenger decide his had enough or will the board not offer him a new contract? Because the way they've both acted in the past I don't see how he/they let him walk after three FA cups, a League cup final and a Europa cup in the span of 4/5 years.

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
People keep saying the board won't get rid but something has definitely shifted behind the scenes. Anyone who thinks Auba is a Wenger signing is miles off. Not saying he'll definitely go, especially if we win the Europa, but if we go out to Atletico and finish below Burnley, no way he doesn't get the bullet. Infact, imo, the only way he stays is winning the Europa and even then it's not guaranteed given how much he's ****ed us up.

OSBK

Established Member
People keep saying the board won't get rid but something has definitely shifted behind the scenes. Anyone who thinks Auba is a Wenger signing is miles off. Not saying he'll definitely go, especially if we win the Europa, but if we go out to Atletico and finish below Burnley, no way he doesn't get the bullet. Infact, imo, the only way he stays is winning the Europa and even then it's not guaranteed given how much he's ****ed us up.

Spot on.

The only way we compete next season is with a new manager and a crapload of investment.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
I dont think he's gonna stop this season, hence we will very likely have him one more.
And i think that if Wenger gives the fans assurance he would stop at the end of next season, then he might be able to have a great run, as all the negative pressure he's dealing with would be gone.

If you are affected by pressure from fans in the first place is an indicator that you are not right for the job!

Pressure is not even to blame for our troubles

Failures in the transfer marken, refusal to adapt with the times and lack of organisation is

El Duderino

Here's hoping something has changed, but I still think it's mainly posturing from Josh and Ivan.

They've brought the people to do the jobs in Sven, Raul, Fahmy, et al. If they won't sack him, at least now all they have to do is not give him a new contract. We finally have footballing people beyond Arsène and the training staff at the club, so at least in that regard, we're ready for the change.

El Duderino

Why will he be gone though? Will Wenger decide his had enough or will the board not offer him a new contract? Because the way they've both acted in the past I don't see how he/they let him walk after three FA cups, a League cup final and a Europa cup in the span of 4/5 years.

As I said in the post above, though a lot of posturing has been going on, Ivan's been eating away at the edges.

There's now footballing people other than Wenger. He's not the only one who'll pick up the phone or get in the plane (as he did with Rambo, for instance), it wasn't a mistake that the three amigos were photographed at Dortmund.

I can't see them sacking him, but now at least there's a whole argument that Ivan can present to Stan - Powerpoint presentation and all - on why he's we're set as a club to move on once he's contract is done.

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Winning the EL may see Wenger get a new contract, especially if he manages to finish top 4 next season. That would mean we have stepped straight back into the old routine of top 4 and everyone is happy. Well I wouldn't be happy, this club is crying out for change and that means the manager has to go this summer. Other clubs are passing us by, look at the no of points Sp**s are ahead of us, that alone should be sackable. While the EL trophy would be great, a straight choice between Wenger for at least another season, or the EL cup, I would go for a new beginning every day.

shootxhakashoot

Özil lives rent-free in my head
His position is untenable, even more so if we dont win Europa, simple as that. Anything else smacks of charity, as even the bottom line is suffering now....
Personally I think that will be enough to see him gone in the summer (and is the only thing that has kept him in a job thus far) such are our parasite owners ways. Doubt they would let sentimentality get in the way of profit.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Tbf he had his chance to leave on a high last year. He has refused it.
He has to face the consequences.

I don't believe in our odds to knock out Atletico...

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

That's based on what exactly? Wenger can go to Stan and say "look, the fact is I've won x3 FA Cups in 5 years and just won the EL and got us back into the Champions League". The club won't want a repeat of the fiasco that surrounded it the last time Arséne went into a season with 12 months left in his contract. Stan will view that as grounds to warrant an extension - trophy (tick), CL revenue (big tick).

When you put it like this it's true.

Even if Wenger doesn't extend his contract but wins the Europa he definitely won't get top four next season and we'll just be humiliated in the CL. He'll then see off his contract and we'll be left with no CL and needing a new manager.

This just clarifies what we all know, he should have left anywhere from 3 summers ago to last summer. Even with last season's rot a new manager would have arrived with about 100M to spend and Özil and Sanchez to build around.

blaze_of_glory

Obviously EL I think. Even if he doesn't leave this year, he's very unlikely to sign another contract imo. Only way I can see him staying beyond next season is if he wins the league. That won't happen, and if it did we'd all be happy anyway. And a new manager is just as unlikely to win the league next year, so take the trophy now and the future will always be there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom