• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Winston Reid

invisibleman18

Established Member
I've already broken my own personal rule and entered into and posted in the Transfer section this summer after managing to prevent myself coming in here for about 3 years. So I may aswell start a thread too! :lol:

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/fifa-world-cup/all-whites/3855318/Reports-Arsenal-chasing-Winston-Reid" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/fifa-world ... nston-Reid</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not much of a link, but one of the news sites here in NZ says there are rumours our scouts in South Africa are interested in Winston Reid, one of NZ's best players at the World Cup. Certainly a Wenger type of signing - young, fairly unknown and obscure player from a weaker league, and pretty cheap. But he's also not usually been one to rush into buying players based on a good couple of games at the World Cup.

Came through the same academy as Kjaer after moving from NZ to Denmark as a 10 year old and is apparently good friends with him. Not sure he'd be good enough for us but he will certainly be somewhere better than the Danish league next season. Italian clubs were reportedly interested before the World Cup and I could see a Premiership club going for him too although not a big one. Perhaps someone like Sunderland or West Ham.

Can't imagine there's much to it, but it's a link nonetheless.

Abs

Established Member
Don’t know anything about him, but I would welcome him anyway. I just want more new players to come in. Just miss that excitement a new transfer brings.

wellington

I heard this rumour earlier today before teh story was written, so it's definitely doing the rounds in NZ.

The source is pretty decent - it's (Fairfax) one of two big newspaper companies in Australasia. Very respectable - they're not known for just making things up. So I'm confident there's definitely a genuine source for it, probably someone inside the NZ team who is happy for people to know that the world is looking at NZ players.

Of course, what level of interest Arsenal has will be the issue.

I posted some info on him in another thread, but will repost below for those who don't anything about him.

Winston Reid is
- physically strong, he's over 6 foot, pacy and naturally very athletic
- he's 21, plays senior football in Denmark where he was at the same football academy as Simon Kjær, and represented Denmark in underage teams
- he's right footed, and can play CB or RB
- has some tactical weaknesses, but copes due to natural physicality and strong mental attitude
- in particular, he is a naturally calm guy
- after scoring the last minute goal against Slovakia, he was acclaimed as a national hero, but impressively didn't let that affect his next games against Italy and Paraguay, which for me is a key attribute of succeeding at the top level in any sport

I'd be happy with Wenger picking him up as 4th CB option behind Verm, Kos (assuming we sign him) and Djourou.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Lord Dula said:
might as well sign me
B-b-but ...

gunnersaurus.jpg

:(

As for Reid, I'd be very much in favour of it. He'll be able to cover the right side of the defence and is only going to get better. Physically, he has it all.

Pies

invisibleman18 said:
I've already broken my own personal rule and entered into and posted in the Transfer section this summer after managing to prevent myself coming in here for about 3 years. So I may aswell start a thread too! :lol:
Congrats, perhaps we can have a mod arrange for you to get a medal.

CandysRoom

Established Member
This guy looked competent in a NZ side which surpised me. Would have no problem with him coming in as a squad player.

wellington

Another article with extra details here
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.3news.co.nz/Winston-Reid-a-target-for-Arsenal---reports/tabid/415/articleID/162793/Default.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.3news.co.nz/Winston-Reid-a-t ... fault.aspx</a>

In part it says:

Reid has also been widely linked with a move to Sicilian club Palermo but has not had discussions with the club. "I haven't spoken with Palermo and my agent hasn't told me anything," he explained to palermo24.net. "Palermo is a big club in Italy and my friend [Simon Kjaer] plays there. I would like it there, but there's been no contact."

Kjaer and Reid were team-mates at Midtjylland and the Danish defender has prospered since moving to Serie A in 2008.

Abs

Established Member
Sounds like a Smallings type of signing, so the people who wanted Smallings wouldnt be against this player. Have anyone seen him or heard of him before the world cup, if Palermo was tracking him before the wc, he must have been doing something right

wellington

I just came across this very brief story. It's from 19th Feb 2009 - ie, 16 months ago. So clearly he has been on some radars for some time.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.tribalfootball.com/fc-midtjylland-defender-winston-reid-fiorentina-radar-228171" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.tribalfootball.com/fc-midtjy ... dar-228171</a>

FC Midtjylland defender Winston Reid is interesting Fiorentina.

The 20 year-old is being tracked by Fiorentina, while Palermo and Sampdoria are also keen.

Reid has committed his international future to Denmark, though was raised in New Zealand.

Abs

Established Member
He earned his Superliga debut for Midtjylland in 2005. A string of impressive performances saw him establish himself as a regular in the first team. So he does have first team experience unlike our friend smallings

fabo

6.51 / 10
Any reason why Smalling keeps getting mentioned?

Dunno who this guy is but it won't happen anyway with Koscielny coming in.

Abs

Established Member
fabo said:
Any reason why Smalling keeps getting mentioned?

Dunno who this guy is but it won't happen anyway with Koscielny coming in.

if campbell leaves, then I can see us going for him

wellington

I agree Abs.

We need 2 backups for the 2 CB positions. And I don't think we can afford for one of them to be our 1st choice DM.

Abs

Established Member
wellington said:
I agree Abs.

We need 2 backups for the 2 CB positions. And I don't think we can afford for one of them to be our 1st choice DM.

Its clear Wenger relaly rates djourou, but I cant see how he can go with djourou who has been out for a year, and nordviet as our backup choices. I can see this guy also comming in as one of the back ups and let him, Djourou fight for the third spot. Koscielny is someone who has been picked to be Vermaleens partner i think and he will go straight in the team. Never seen this guy before the world cup, but He looked good against Italy and thats the first time I have seen him.

fabo

6.51 / 10
I can't envisage Wenger going into the season with Vermaelen(24), Koscielny(24), DJ(23) and this guy(21) competing at CB, with only one of them having a full season as a starter in this League and one coming back from a year out injured.

But we started the 08/09 season with an horrific central midfield so who knows.

Latest posts

Top Bottom