• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Winston Reid

Vela

Established Member
Even if Vermaelen stays we need to sign another centre-back with Squillaci's contract expiring at the end of the season. Djourou want's to make his loan move with Hannover 96 permanent. Ignasi Miquel isn't ready to be fourth choice, needs a loan first IMO.

There isn't that many centre-backs available, we've been linked with the likes of Williams and Nicolas N'Koulou. Are they replacements for Vermaelen rather than being fourth-choice targets here?

Anzac

Established Member
As much as I'd love him Reid would only make sense if we sold TV or Kos and wanted another aggressive CB.

He doesn't fit our CB balance requirements for another covering CB to rotate with BFG - hence the Williams talk.

Wouterus

Reid is around 3 inches taller than Williams, Verms and Koscielny though, so in that respect he is similar to Mertesacker. I don't think it is necessarily bad to play with two aggressive CBs. I don't know him too well, but I like the idea of having the opportunity to play with two fast CBs without becoming weaker in the air.

If we are in for Reid, I can't see Vermaelen staying though. He'd be fourth choice and with the World Cup after next season I'm sure he wants to play.

ArseGod

Would love a brute defender. I think Verms is off. Ala Song...Wenger will do a quick sell if anyone comes in for him

Floating

Established Member
Reminds me of a very raw Sol Campbell in terms of his physicality, speed and size. I'd love him as a third or fourth choice CB, if he'd come here.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Well I for one hope we don't sell TV. Realistically it will come down to him accepting that he's not necessarily a starter here, and with the world cup coming, you have to wonder if that will be enough for him. If TV leaves it would more likely be him seeking first team football than us making a quick buck. There are enough games to go around, but a captain and former starter might not accept that role especially at age 27.

Iloveyouarsenewenger

Established Member
kofigunner said:
Well I for one hope we don't sell TV. Realistically it will come down to him accepting that he's not necessarily a starter here, and with the world cup coming, you have to wonder if that will be enough for him. If TV leaves it would more likely be him seeking first team football than us making a quick buck. There are enough games to go around, but a captain and former starter might not accept that role especially at age 27.

TV did not get any games at the end only because we were out of all the cup competitions and Europe. Most of the times we play two games a week and the third choice centre back gets a lot of games when the team is playing midweek, every week.

ASAP Berg

Established Member
Would be a great signing. Koscielny, Mertesacker, Vermaelen, Reid would be the best set of defenders in the league.

Allardyce would probably ask for 20m though.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
Arsenal line up January bid for West Ham defender Winston Reid - Metro
Arsenal are considering making a bid for West Ham defender Winston Reid in the January transfer window.
Gunners boss Arsène Wenger is on the lookout for another centre back ahead of the new year, with interest growing in unsettled captain Thomas Vermaelen.
And having followed his progress closely in the last 18 months, Hammers ace Reid has emerged as one of Wenger’s top targets.
The 25-year-old has established himself as one of the most consistent defenders in the Premier League, and has been part of a solid West Ham backline this season.
But his stay at Upton Park could come to an end in January, with Arsenal considering a £6million bid for the New Zealand international.
The offer has been backed by Arsenal’s chief scout Steve Rowley, who has drawn up extensive reports on Reid’s performances and background.
Manchester United and Liverpool are also keen on the player – but it’s thought he would favour remaining in London with Arsenal if a deal could be agreed.
The 6’3” powerhouse has played nearly 100 games in English football since arriving from Midtjylland in 2010 and is contracted to West Ham until 2015.
Can play RB too. He's 6ft3 and quite mobile so provides a bit of both Mertesacker and Koscielny. Might kill Hayden though.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
SiMamu said:
Arsenal line up January bid for West Ham defender Winston Reid - Metro
Arsenal are considering making a bid for West Ham defender Winston Reid in the January transfer window.
Gunners boss Arsène Wenger is on the lookout for another centre back ahead of the new year, with interest growing in unsettled captain Thomas Vermaelen.
And having followed his progress closely in the last 18 months, Hammers ace Reid has emerged as one of Wenger’s top targets.
The 25-year-old has established himself as one of the most consistent defenders in the Premier League, and has been part of a solid West Ham backline this season.
But his stay at Upton Park could come to an end in January, with Arsenal considering a £6million bid for the New Zealand international.
The offer has been backed by Arsenal’s chief scout Steve Rowley, who has drawn up extensive reports on Reid’s performances and background.
Manchester United and Liverpool are also keen on the player – but it’s thought he would favour remaining in London with Arsenal if a deal could be agreed.
The 6’3” powerhouse has played nearly 100 games in English football since arriving from Midtjylland in 2010 and is contracted to West Ham until 2015.
Can play RB too. He's 6ft3 and quite mobile so provides a bit of both Mertesacker and Koscielny. Might kill Hayden though.

He's a horrendous RB, can play it no better than someone like Koscielny.

He's a lot better than Vermaelen though.

SiMamu

Part time Leeds fan
Koscielny was alright at RB v Wigan in 2011(/12). Got forward well and provided width.

thedon5

Wouterus said:
Vinci said:
Wouterus said:
New Zealand have one half decent player and you play him at RB?

Cmon dude that ain't fair on Ben Sigmund.
The only other player I know from their squad is Vicelich, and he was awful 10 years ago :D

Watch out for Marco Rojas then, he's at Stuttgart now and a brilliant winger, biggest hope the country has, bigger than Reid really. He's been injured this season but with some playing time he'll be a star.

I would absolutely love Reid here, but I guess I'm biased as a New Zealander. Very good defender.

Cudareli

Antonio Valencia stan
Wouterus said:
Vinci said:
Cmon dude that ain't fair on Ben Sigmund.
The only other player I know from their squad is Vicelich, and he was awful 10 years ago :D

Ben Sigmund :lol:

Please tell me Andrew Durante plays at center back instead of Reid?

Top Bottom