• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

With £30mil in the bank, who could replace Vieira?

Status
Not open for further replies.

calvinngai88

Wenger said in the post Barnet match that he's going to sign a new contract in October, no matter whether Vieira leaves or stays with Arsenal.

pamilih

lee1001 said:
If Kolo moved to CM, then potentialy we are disrupting both our defensive partnership of Sol and Kolo and our CM partnership of Vieira and edu/gilberto.

Too many changes to the spine of our team for my liking.

True. I haven't got an idea how our starting XI would look without Vieira ...

Alexone234

Am I wrong in saying that Vieira is our attacking CM, and Gilberto is our DCM? i know Vieira gives great balance, but I think that Gerrard could be the only realistic replacement in terms an age:potential ratio,

I think he would come too.

Sammer

Established Member
I would not agree with that, Alex.

I would rate Viera´s contribution to defensive midefield higher than his attacking qualities.

He is perfect (and there is no one better around) in stopping opposite attacks while initiating counter attacks. Forget Makelele, Lampard - and especially Gerrard in doing the "dirty work". No one does it better than Paddy.

Therefore, you cannot replace Viera with Gerrard and keep the same team. In my view, Ballack comes closest, but even Ballack´s style is more attacking-orientated.

Replacing Paddy means - in my view - not only changing one position, but changing at least another one in central midfield. Another option is to constantly play Gilberto, but that woudl leave Edu out of the game.

He simply cannot leave at this point.

patrick42uk

Established Member
calvinngai88 said:
I thought Tiago and Drogba are still not done deals yet? Can anyone confirm this?

drogba to sign this afternoon according to marsaille. tiago in london having a medical, should sign tommorrow.

Alexone234

I think that Ballack is good, but not top TOP class. That said, you've got to imagine that Wenger can significatly improve any player he signs. An improved Ballack could be word class.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
I disagree, Alex. In my view Ballack is a player of the highest order. I just can't see Wenger signing him though. He's just not the type of player Wenger signs.

KingReyes

Established Member
Ballack is definately not a direct replacement for Vieira like Sammer has already said. A Ballack/Vieira partnership would be an ideal one. PV4 and Ballack are two different type of players therfore a Vieira replacement would have to be a Vieira type of player.

Arjan

GoonerGurjit said:
I disagree, Alex. In my view Ballack is a player of the highest order. I just can't see Wenger signing him though. He's just not the type of player Wenger signs.

under normal circumstances Wenger would never sign Ballack.

But losing Vieira are not normal circumstances.
I'd sign Ballack if I could. To fill the gap with a leaving superstar by a new superstar. It would boost the moral as well.

Arnie

n-one could replace Vieira.

You would need Ballack, Gerrard, Keane, Davids and Makalele and mix them together to make vieira, that's why i don't think he's worth just 30 million

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Apart from Steven Gerrard....Xabi Alonso, Marc van Bommel and maybe Maniche are the only players that I can think of who have a lot of the attributes that Vieira has. Costinha and David Albelda aren't good enough for Arsenal.

Alexone234

The areshole from the Sun, Sean "I'm a c-nt' Custis reckoned that if Arsenal made a move for Gerrard to replace Vieira, we could prise him away from Anfield.

I personally think that if they were in the same side, that would be an ideal arrangement,

KingReyes

Established Member
Alexone234 said:
The areshole from the Sun, Sean "I'm a c-nt' Custis reckoned that if Arsenal made a move for Gerrard to replace Vieira, we could prise him away from Anfield.

I personally think that if they were in the same side, that would be an ideal arrangement,

I wouldn't say no to that! :lol:

osugunner

I think Gerrard is the obvious replacement for Vieira if Paddy leaves. I see Ballack heading to Barca unfortunately. I could see Xabi or Emerson in as well but I think the idea of buying two Mids that complement each other would be a better purchase. The question is who is available right now that fits into that situation?

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
KingReyes said:
Alexone234 said:

I wouldn't say no to that! :lol:

But the reality is that Abramovich wants him and he would outbid us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom