• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

With £30mil in the bank, who could replace Vieira?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KingReyes

Established Member
GoonerGurjit said:
KingReyes said:
Alexone234 said:
The areshole from the Sun, Sean "I'm a c-nt' Custis reckoned that if Arsenal made a move for Gerrard to replace Vieira, we could prise him away from Anfield.

I personally think that if they were in the same side, that would be an ideal arrangement,

I wouldn't say no to that! :lol:

But the reality is that Abramovich wants him and he would outbid us.

That doesn't necessarily mean he would join Chelscum. Just like other players they can refuse to move to the club in question. Beckham did it last year to Barca and Emerson is holding out for a move to Juventus instead of Real Madrid. Gerrard could do the same. Unless money is his main motive where then we would definately lose out to the Russians.

calvinngai88

A world-class type of midfielder to replace a worldclass Vieira? Hmm, this looks tough because no one in the world CURRENTLY can actually take vieira's place.

Maniche is more of an attacking player. Xabi looks not strong enough for EPL YET. Emerson is either going Juventus or Madrid. van Bommel is sh*t for goodness sake. He's good only for the last 3-4 years ago. Would love to see Ballack but guess he won't be the replacement for Vieira. Gerrard can be one of the replacements, but that will only happen when Liverpool isn't doing any better this season and I won't be surprised if he leaves during the Janurary transfer window. Chelsea may outbid us in wages and transfer fee, but I supose Gerrard's smart enough to know that it's either do or die (perform well or get sold in next transfer window) in the Chelsea squad. Barcelona's central midfield duo, Xavi and Gerard, look good when playing together. Maybe 20m can get them both to Highbury. Hargreaves the cheap and good and still has room for improvement player. Suits Wenger's style. Young and intelligent, has the urge to push forward like Vieira, Might lose out to Vieira in some physical attributes but who's afraid of Vieira in the centre of midfield 8 years ago? To get into Vieira's calibre, it needs special assistance and training from a very SPECIAL coach/manager and Arsenal has it! Wenger. He can transform Hargreaves into another worldclass player. No doubt about Wenger's "magic powers" and Hargreaves's determination.

Chips&CurrySauce

When Gerard asked to leave Liverpool I feel his ideal club would have been Arsenal and not Chelsea. Both Patrick and Gerard have so much mutual respect for each other I believe both would love to play along side each other. Now that Patrick may be leaving I'm not so sure if Gerard would be so keen to come to us, especially since he gave his word to Liverpool that he will be staying this season.

Also I can't see how Gerard is valued at £30 million. I would estimate that £15-20 milion would be a much fairer price!

calvinngai88

Gerrard said he'll be staying with Liverpool it's because a new manager has arrived, Rafael Benitez promised to make Liverpool better than last season. So we shall see Liverpool's situation. If Liverpool doesn't improve in the results, Gerrard will be disappointed and might reconsider his future. And also, had Liverpool not given him the no.8 jersey which Gerrard requesed, I would be seeing him in blue Chelsea colours now.

Alexone234

Chips&CurrySauce said:
Also I can't see how Gerard is valued at £30 million. I would estimate that £15-20 milion would be a much fairer price!

Value as a player and what you pay are often two different things. I can't see Liverpoop accepting less than £20mil, but if Vieira was to leave, if we could get Gerrard with the money and add Beckham/Morientes to the squad too, that would not be too bad.

That said, I would rather we keep Pat.

Sammer

Established Member
Arjan said:
GoonerGurjit said:
I disagree, Alex. In my view Ballack is a player of the highest order. I just can't see Wenger signing him though. He's just not the type of player Wenger signs.

under normal circumstances Wenger would never sign Ballack.

But losing Vieira are not normal circumstances.
I'd sign Ballack if I could. To fill the gap with a leaving superstar by a new superstar. It would boost the moral as well.

100% agreed, Arjan.

Wenger is not up for signing big names like Ballack...under normal circumstances.

But if all the media spin is true (which I believe it is NOT), Ballack has to be considered and money has to be spent.

Again, Gerrard is not for Sale - and he would not be the ideal replacement for Viera, due to his lack of defensive qualities.

Deano

I so not think tha Gerrard would come, I think that aanother about face for him would affect his marketability and his status in Liverpool.

I still think that Wenger may push Kolo up and invest in a new CH.

This would go away so quick if PV4 just came out and said what he was going to do.

calvinngai88

But it's abit too inappropriate since Kolo and Sol have formed a great solid centre back partnership last season. Wenger will continue with that partnership, I'm sure of that.

pamilih

Is Kolo an inspired defensive midfielder? I think Pires is a more inspired player.
Gilberto and Edu are neither.

liam346

forget Stevie G ....it's not going to happen

Forget PV to Real....thats not gonna happen either IMO....and i hope not.I want my Reds to push Arsenal not a Vieraless-Arsenal

Stim

I think the best bet would be to put Toure there and promote Senderos or buy another top class center back.

But i havent given up on Edu being the answer. He has alot of grit and is a very tough tackler and we also know he has great play making capabilities. Maybe if Edu can step up his game and take leadership for the center of midfield we would have a replacement sorted.

The idea by CMS about Henry being a central midfielder is not bad at all, i've often thought it before, he has the attributes to play there but i think he would only lack the grit and determination to play there. Plus his attacking talents would be put to waste so it wouldn't be good in the long run to play him the there.

Deano

Source: Alan Brazil TalkSport.

I know not the best source..

This morning Fatboy quoted a "source" in Highbury who said that.

Pat was asked by Wenger to drop in and see him on his way back from the US. Wenger then asked him what his plans were with regard to Real Madrid. PV allegedly said that he was interested but had not made up his mind. Wenger then told him to go and think about it but first he must clear out his locker.

Wenger supposedly told him that if he did decide to go, he did not want him coming back disrupting pre-season.

quattro

^ now that is a very interesting tidbit.

purely opinionated - for once it actually sounds wengerlike: sensible, considerate yet very authoritative. i really doubt vieira would pit his will against Arsène with all the "is your ambition equal to mine" talk. i think he really is thinking about going to madrid, but not because of the usual reasons we hear from the s*n about further footballing glory. bottomline though wenger = BOSS.

Alexone234

Deano said:
Source: Alan Brazil TalkSport.

I know not the best source..

This morning Fatboy quoted a "source" in Highbury who said that.

Pat was asked by Wenger to drop in and see him on his way back from the US. Wenger then asked him what his plans were with regard to Real Madrid. PV allegedly said that he was interested but had not made up his mind. Wenger then told him to go and think about it but first he must clear out his locker.

Wenger supposedly told him that if he did decide to go, he did not want him coming back disrupting pre-season.

I know it comes from talksh-t, but it is the most convincing thing I have heard in this whole rumour crap. I think Wenger is a genius.

lewdikris

Established Member
That makes sense.

Maybe Wenger asked the important question here:

Not if Wenger and Arsenal can match Vieira's ambitions, but whether Paddy can match up to Arsène's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arsenal Quotes

I was receiving offers from many other clubs and declining them all, even the most tempting ones. Juventus, Real Madrid, PSG contacted me, Bayern, France, England...I am happy to have been able to say no to more glory, more money, and to have been guided only by the idea of loyally serving the club. I had knitted myself a soul in Red and White.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White

Latest posts

Top Bottom